P3 on a plane - in hard case or backpack in cabin?

Shippers don't need move the items 10', back and forth. I've never seen my UPS guy toss a package. I've seen _plenty_ of baggage handlers toss luggage.
You've obviously not dealt with Amazon Logistics in the UK then! Seriously though, I did a summer job for TNT at a main parcel sorting depot - how do you think those parcels get to the far end of the delivery van? You didn't climb in each time and carry it there - it was hurled.

But anyway, I've already established that my case won't be allowed on. I might get away with a 'slightly too big' rucksack as that looks like it's 'squashy' and a sympathetic check-in desk person might not care about a few cms here or there. But a brick solid flight case - they are going to ask immediately at check in if it fits the cabin dimensions, and it won't. At that point I then have to unpack and try and find somewhere for all my lipos, without anywhere to put them. It's a full flight on one the busiest days of the year so there's going to be less tolerance for error.

If I can get everything into the backpack and it's within (squashable) dimensions, then I may give it a try - the "I've got Lipos and it's illegal to put them in the hold" is a compelling argument.

trust a frequent traveler and never check in your phantom if you like it. you cant check in lipo batteries any ways, its forbidden by many airline companies.

I use vanguard uprise II 48 and put 2 set of chargers, controller, ipad, 3 extra batteries, all accessories, canon 70d body and 18-105 lens. I stabilize the phantom with a simple velcro.

The biggest benefit of using a backpack is the ease of toting it around on vacation. It's about ten pounds lighter and easily fits on your back if you'd like to hike somewhere.

As for being denied as carry on, don't forget, if they take your backpack at the gate it gets put in a special hold area, like a stroller. When you arrive at your destination they give it back to you at the plane door, like a stroller. There is less risk of the backpack being mistreated since the normal baggage handlers don't touch it, and it doesn't make the trip to the conveyer belt system.

Just DON'T forget to claim it upon arrival!

ok so I've done some investigating. Emirates have about the smallest phsyical allowances of anyone I can find (max depth 20cm). Given the phantom is about 19.5cm tall, the chances of that ever going in a bag and still fitting are slim (at least not one what would offer any protection). According to forums Emirates are now quite strict about cabin baggage. My bag, with phantom in, is 27cm, so quite a way off being ok. It's also marginally too tall, so I'm not looking good on that front.

I feel like, on a full flight, there is a decent chance of being told to check the bag at the gate, so I'm not going to risk it with a canvas bag.

Peli case it is. It's built like a brick dunny (getting into Aussie lingo) and the phantom is snug as anything inside. I'm pretty sure it would survive a 10' drop onto concrete (more than my other luggage would!). I might detatch the camera and gimbal first though.

I'll report back if I survive both legs with a working drone.

The biggest benefit of using a backpack is the ease of toting it around on vacation. It's about ten pounds lighter and easily fits on your back if you'd like to hike somewhere.

As for being denied as carry on, don't forget, if they take your backpack at the gate it gets put in a special hold area, like a stroller. When you arrive at your destination they give it back to you at the plane door, like a stroller. There is less risk of the backpack being mistreated since the normal baggage handlers don't touch it, and it doesn't make the trip to the conveyer belt system.

Just DON'T forget to claim it upon arrival!
thanks. I'm taking the backpack as well - just with other stuff in it.

BTW I also always travel with kids (with strollers) - and every flight I've ever done over 6 years it's ended up in the regular hold, and been returned on the carousels.

When you make it down under make sure you get the app OZ runways or similar, it has a lot of the no fly zones. Where are you going to be staying?

I would not recommend any soft luggage for air travel. This is just me. As for LiPo batteries, carry-on only.
At a grand+, and the high level of consistency in the airlines (sarcasm), I would never trust my carry on getting
ON the plane with no chance of checking it in... once it's checked in.... ooch.

I use a soft bag for car travel, and it works great, as long as I'm the only one handling it.

IMO, I would carry-on. It is to sensitive, even with best hardcase, to simply just trust anyone with it, let alone baggage handlers. I know you could declare it, insure it or whatever else. But I'd rather avoid the risk altogether. If you are traveling with others, remember each is allowed to carry 2 bags/carry on. Manage it. Handle it yourself. It's your "baby"...Good luck and enjoy it!

I will bet if you check it in...you are going to be anxious and uncertain the whole flight. Your thoughts will be doing 100mph just thinking the "what if's".

Don't check it in!!!!✈

Thanks for all the advice people. As I've already said, I don't think I'll be let on as it is too large. I'm flying Emirates - it's 1 bag, 55x38x20 - so I already KNOW that it's too large.

For everyone saying they'd take it in the cabin - would you will do this if you knew it was too large and likely to be put in the hold? That is the question we're dealing with here.

It's a question of comparing the risk of going with a flight case in the hold or chancing taking on a bag on a full flight with s soft case - (it is four legs in total I'm flying so even if the first 3 let me on, the last one may not and then it still breaks)

just thought I could possibly detach the landing gear (and gimbal). That would probably mean the bag would be 'squashable' to their measly 20cm depth - it's an option worth looking into I think.

I Have a GoPro rucksack and carry on is fine, went to Greece in the summer. I use Lipo safe bags for batteries. The guys checking carry on bags at Heathrow were fine. I am flying to New Zealand soon and taking carry on again. My concern is changing planes in Dubai though - anyone had any issues.

thanks. I'm taking the backpack as well - just with other stuff in it.

BTW I also always travel with kids (with strollers) - and every flight I've ever done over 6 years it's ended up in the regular hold, and been returned on the carousels.
Oh wow, this is a new datapoint, thanks. I fly Southwest mostly, they give back strollers and other "cabin-door checked" bags back to passengers at the cabin-door upon arrival. I'll have to be careful on this in the future, I can't assume everyone handles cabin-door checks the same way. I've always thought that was SOP for all airlines, and I have another friend that thinks this also (he also flies SW mostly).

I have been using the Chinese Cheapy (that's what I call it) for airline flights. I haven't had an issue yet, total of 8 flights. It's within the 20X14X9" limitation for all airlines, and it has plenty of room for batteries, IpadMini, controller, extra props, MarcoPolo tracker and charger. It's the best layout for a backpack that I can find, but not the best materials, which is why it's only $40. However, it's super light to carry, which is what I really like on travel, about 12-13lbs when packed. I wouldn't hesitate a bit carrying this backpack on the plane. Since you have kids you will likely be able to board first, which means you will have plenty of overhead area to put the backpack, virtually no risk for a gate check situation.

Last edited:
Funny the different advice you get in different areas. Advice on the "how to do long haul with young children" websites is to get on last! :confused:

Well I'll see how I get on with my landing gear removal and see where I end up. The manfrotto d1 is a pretty sturdy bag - amsure it would offer quite a bit of protection.

In terms of the stroller thing - Barcelona airport, for example, has a specific baggage carousel where all the strollers (from all flights) come out. Perhaps it's a European thing?

Funny the different advice you get in different areas. Advice on the "how to do long haul with young children" websites is to get on last.
This is usually helpful with fussy kids if you don't have a Phantom to store in the overhead. If they aren't fussy, then boarding first provides more time and less pressure with no people behind you being annoyed.

One thing I try to prevent when flying Southwest is having to store my Phantom in the overhead compartment BEHIND my seat in situations there are no available slots in front of my preferred isle seat. The problem using an overhead behind my seat is at the end of the flight I have to wait for everyone else to deplane before I can get to my Phantom behind me. That rarely happens, but it's an issue I try very hard to prevent when selecting my seat and storage compartment. I always pay the extra $15 to be in the "A group" so I don't have to worry about this problem. With assigned seats on other airlines this can be more difficult to prevent if you board last. So boarding first is always my preference when toting my Phantom along (which is always the case) on business trips.

Thanks I'll check it out. We're going to Perth and the down to Margaret River.

Gorgeous spot, if you can head up to exmouth it's also supposed to be great, safe to fly is the free app I was meant to mention. Have a great travel.

ok so I've done some investigating. Emirates have about the smallest phsyical allowances of anyone I can find (max depth 20cm). Given the phantom is about 19.5cm tall, the chances of that ever going in a bag and still fitting are slim (at least not one what would offer any protection). According to forums Emirates are now quite strict about cabin baggage. My bag, with phantom in, is 27cm, so quite a way off being ok. It's also marginally too tall, so I'm not looking good on that front.

I feel like, on a full flight, there is a decent chance of being told to check the bag at the gate, so I'm not going to risk it with a canvas bag.
That's an incredibly small carry-on size Emirates Airlines demand, only (22 x 15 x 8 inches) and under 15lbs. The US standard is (22 x 14 x 9 inches), and most carry-on bags you buy are normally 9" thick. I don't know how they can enforce that, given a typical bag for carry-on is 9" thick, it's pretty hard to find any 8" thick from what I can determine, in the US anyway. all 737's, 747's, 767's and 787's as well as all current Airbus planes all accept a 9" thick X 22" long back pretty easy in the overhead, so this doesn't make sense. I would be interested to measure their rack checker at the gate, if they have one. It's just hard to believe.

I've flown about a dozen times with my P3 inside it's cardboard box, and the box inside a checked luggage bag. Never a problem. I don't own a hardshell backpack.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik