P3 not working out of the box

Reaction score
I got my P3 today. Followed directions to a "T" up to the point of calibrating the compass. I couldn't find that in the Pilot App (v1.1.1 for IOS). I got no image from the camera on my iPhone (iPhone 6). It's like the controller wasn't communicating with the aircraft. After a chat with tech support, it was decided that I needed a firmware update. Three hours later, I'm still trying to do the update!! Tech support is in China. Very disappointing to pay $1300 for something that doesn't work right out of the box!!!

Clearly you haven't followed the directions to a "T" because step one is to update the firmware. You need to update the firmware on the P3 and controller to the latest version. The version that is currently on your P3 and controller will not allow the controller or P3 to communicate with the iOS app. It's a very easy procedure to do and should take less than 10 minutes to complete.

You can't calibrate the compass, because again, without the proper firmware the controller and P3 cannot communicate with the iOS app.

Here is a how to video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The correct area to post this thread should be in the P3 Help forum:
http://www.phantompilots.com/forums/phantom-3-help.100/

90% of users posts with problems around here start with: "i've followed the instructions"... 90% of those.. that ain't true.

Reactions: tcope
I didn't see anything in the Quick Start Guide that came with my kit that talks about updating the firmware. I finally discovered the problem, and after spending almost two hours with an online support technician from China (probably would've taken 15 minutes without the language barrier), I was all set to fly. Had a very nice day today with a couple of flights. I love this thing!!

I didn't see anything in the Quick Start Guide that came with my kit that talks about updating the firmware. I finally discovered the problem, and after spending almost two hours with an online support technician from China (probably would've taken 15 minutes without the language barrier), I was all set to fly. Had a very nice day today with a couple of flights. I love this thing!!

Hi Wayne,

I'm having exactly the same issue as you... I wonder if you'd be able to share what the issue ended up being in the end, or how you solved it? Much appreciated!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic