P3 in Agriculture

Reaction score
First off I am new to the "quadcopter" world so take it easy on me... I would like to get a p3 to scout my crops or drainage issues in big ag fields anybody else use theirs for ag purposes? I have a couple questions. I have a iPhone 5s and the iPad 2, I see that dji does not recommend the iPad 2 why? I can use my iPhone 5s but my concern is that the screen will be too small. I would want to be able to fly over a field and then hover over a plant or group of plants to investigate. Would I be able to see any detail with the phone? Or do you think I am after the wrong product all together?

Secretly I just want one but justify it in my mind for use on the farm.

Thanks

Reactions: Advexure
I would like to get a p3 to scout my crops or drainage issues in big ag fields anybody else use theirs for ag purposes?
The P3 would be perfect for this since the video will be easily viewable in the DJI Pilot app when using a tablet. I don't know that I'd try to write the expenses off on taxes though -- since doing this without an FAA exemption is technically illegal.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/what_can_you_do_with_your_uas

See page 11 here:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

You need an A7 processor whatever you get. The graphics can get intensive and you don't want a device lockup. I plan on using mine at my hunting lease to spot ferral hogs during the day. They bed up during the day and I'll know where to start in the evening. I have night vision, So it's ON. This device would be perfect for you. In a farming community, you can get easily a couple of miles out of it. I took mine to three miles on Monday. The video is super crisp at 1080P and 4K converts down to even better 1080P

The P3 would be perfect for this since the video will be easily viewable in the DJI Pilot app when using a tablet. I don't know that I'd try to write the expenses off on taxes though -- since doing this without an FAA exemption is technically illegal.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/what_can_you_do_with_your_uas

See page 11 here:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

Good point -- the good thing is that the FAA does understand the benefits of agricultural use and more then likely will allow it in the future. For now, use it for practice and you will be trained up and ready when the time comes.

Y'all are quick.. Delirious, I was thinking the other day how awesome it would be to have a night vision/ thermal imagining camera on it for that exact reason.. Hogs wouldn't stand a chance on my farm..

Pardon my ignorance but what is an A7 processor? Does an iPad 2 have this?

Also is there really much difference in the 1080p and 4k? Especially since I don't plan on doing any professional videoing?

don't know if you have an ipad 2 or ipad air 2. But these are the ones you can use
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#comparison-chart

A7 processor is the CPU used in apple devices such as the iphone and ipad.

They do have a flir option that can be used on a drone. It's coming out soon.

http://flir.com/flirvue/

It attaches to a drone via a gopro point. But you can attack the flirvue to a mini dvr and possible just strap it to the landing gear on the phantom 3.

The quality of 4K is better but for your application, get the advanced over the pro.

Our Wisconsin location does A TON of work with the Ag Industry around the midwest. Irrigation and field scouting, field mapping, crop surveying, you name it. Lot's of great uses for drones in agriculture. @jmh600 where are you located?

Thanks, I have the regular iPad 2 the one before the air.

Now that is neat.... How much will they cost? Also will it not be too much additional weight for the p3?

probably 2999 for the 640 version. Here's a pic of a pvs 14 (gen 3 night vision) on a phantom

IMG_2152_zpsfd9066e6.jpg

I would like to get a p3 to scout my crops or drainage issues in big ag fields anybody else use theirs for ag purposes?
Part of the reason I wanted to get into this hobby is because of this. My parents have several large farms that I can shoot video for them. I have other relatives that are too old to go visit some of their properties also in which I plan to make some videos for them so they can see it again. I put a nice enclosed deerstand up on a property of ours that isn't easily accessible at times but with my P3 I'll be able to check it out easily.

I grew up on a cattle farm and wish I would have had one as a kid for the times when cattle got out and into a neighbors or the neighbors cattle got into ours. Used to spend hours walking areas in accessible via ATV searching that I could have easily scouted from the air. Or quickly checking fence-lines after a storm for downed trees.

The sky is the limit as far as finding uses for this product.

speaking of deer stand. I wonder what the sound would do to deer nearby. Sounds like bees. I'd like to launch one during season to see where they are. Wonder how they would be spooked. I would imagine I could launch it a top of my deer stand and take off and land it right next too it.....as long as they are not close by, I should be ok. It's what I plan on using mine for.

speaking of deer stand. I wonder what the sound would do to deer nearby. Sounds like bees. I'd like to launch one during season to see where they are. Wonder how they would be spooked. I would imagine I could launch it a top of my deer stand and take off and land it right next too it.....as long as they are not close by, I should be ok. It's what I plan on using mine for.
I just like to check mine to make sure nobody steals it. Deer might be interested by it rather than bothered.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking of looking for hogs, deer, and ducks with it.. Now I just need to buy one.

I was reading another thread you posted in about streaming to Apple TV. Is there a way to mirror iPhone 5s to iPad2?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic