P3 Flying characteristics vs P2

Reaction score
Im thinking of purchasing the Phantom 3 Professional, i currently have the Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal and a gopro.

I know about the major advertised differences, but how is to fly compared to the Phantom 2?

Is it more stable , less drifting, handle winds better, or some other differences?

I would like to hear from you who has the P3 and has owned or flown a P2 so that you have something to compare with.

Is the difference between the P2 and P3 like night and day or is there just a little bit of difference in these things i ask about?

What about the 4K camera on the P3 Professional, how is it compared to the GoPro 3+ Hero Black / Hero 4 Black, in terms of quality and functions?

Would you recommend to upgrade to a P3 even if i currently have the P2?

I would appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

Yes, more stable, less drift, more responsive due to more power. Definitely worth the upgrade. While I can't speak to the 4K part, I can tell you the camera is a vast improvement for stills and HD video, at least over the V+.

(and lightbridge is awesome).

There have been several posts from happy new owners saying that they haven't touched their P2 since getting the P3.
The P3 looks like the P2 and is as easy to control but it's so much better.
The Lightbridge control is superb .. no more losing control at 5-600 metres in the middle of a photo.
P2 vs P3 is like coal-fired vs turbo diesel.
It's that much better.

Thanks for your answers, do the Lightbridge really give such a good picture quality as people talk about, a real good quality that digital transmissions usually has compared to analog?

And about the range, i guess the 2 Km range is under optimal conditions, so what is the approximate range under normal conditions on the Lightbridge, about half or?

And i guess also the P3 itself also has a much longer range than the P2?

Just another thing i thought about, are one forced to use the DJI pilot app to watch the camera picture, or could one use a monitor instead?

Yes, LB is a 720p downlink. It's awesome.
the 2km range is completely understated. guys have had P3's out past 3 miles stock.
yes you have to use the pilot app, but there will be an HDMI board that attaches to the controller that will allow for HDMI out to a monitor.

I find the P3 so much better than the P2 that I may indeed turn into one of those people who hardly ever uses his P2 (currently it's on the bench as a back-up player in the game of Phantomness).

I'm actually considering selling my P2 and getting another P3 as a back-up.... just not sure if I want to do that or not....

Thanks for your answers, well it sounds as it is a vast improvement from the P2.

About the video, i have seen it and a few other similar videos, but like i said in my earlier post i wanted some input from users and not from DJI, because of course they talk good about their own product.
But i read the blogg post and it was interesting.

By the way which flight controller is the P3 using, is it the exact same as Inspire 1, and which one is that?

I´m curious what the differences are on the Inspire 1 and the P3 P? Since the inspire 1 is double the price.
If i understand it right they have the same camera optics and same everything almost, as far as i heard the differences is that the Inspire 1 camera can be rotated 360 degrees and the legs comes up, and that the camera can be managed by another operator with a second radio, or maybe this can be done on the P3 also?

Well i guess an update from P2 to P3 is the way to go.

I have received my P3 pro yesterday. Also have a fully loaded P1 with H3-2D, Hero 3+ black, immerson RC etc etc. First flight was amazing. Its is really true. This bird my look the same. But it is 400% better, more stable. The pilot app is simply mindblowing. Get the P3 and be amazed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezookiel
Yes the pilot app looks as a solid app with a lots of features.

Do the P3 have the possibility for Waypoints and follow me etc.? I heard something about that particular function was not yet available on the P3 but will be implemented later, am i correct or have i understand it totally wrong?

Yes the pilot app looks as a solid app with a lots of features.

Do the P3 have the possibility for Waypoints and follow me etc.? I heard something about that particular function was not yet available on the P3 but will be implemented later, am i correct or have i understand it totally wrong?
Waypoints are promised and a variation thereof

Waypoints are promised and a variation thereof

But not possible yet, or? Is there an approximate date when this will be available?

By the way, what type of Flight controller does the Phantom 3 use? I have been searching the net but can not find anywhere what type it uses, is it the same type as the Inspire 1 uses?
I thought that it might be the new flight controller called N1 that the Matrice 100 is using, but now I'm not so sure?

But not possible yet, or? Is there an approximate date when this will be available?

By the way, what type of Flight controller does the Phantom 3 use? I have been searching the net but can not find anywhere what type it uses, is it the same type as the Inspire 1 uses?
I thought that it might be the new flight controller called N1 that the Matrice 100 is using, but now I'm not so sure?
Same type, but does not have and HDMI out hookup... there is supposed to be un upgrade panel that will add the HDMI out plug which would allow goggles or a monitor to be plugged into the controller for viewing.

It's a variation of the inspire's fc, but I haven't seen the actual name published anywhere. Supposedly a naza/m1 hybrid.

It's a variation of the inspire's fc, but I haven't seen the actual name published anywhere. Supposedly a naza/m1 hybrid.

Okay interesting, i wonder why they haven't published that info yet? Then its hard to tell if its comparable to lets say the Naza V2 or Wookong or some other of the known FC´s?

Then i guess there is no software for the P3 as there is for P2, are all the adjustments done through the pilot app?

Yes .. N1, an all new FC. The P3 is a compact version of the inspire with most of the same systems but smaller motors/props and without the swing arms.
The P3 gets longer flight time but lower top speed and no 360º camera.
The P3 price is a gift for us because DJI is making it hard for their competition that were launching around the same time.
It's much lower than everyone guessed it would be.

Okay interesting, i wonder why they haven't published that info yet? Then its hard to tell if its comparable to lets say the Naza V2 or Wookong or some other of the known FC´s?

Then i guess there is no software for the P3 as there is for P2, are all the adjustments done through the pilot app?
Who knows. But the SDK is public so it's just a matter of time before extra features are added by 3rd party developers. The pilot app is pretty awesome imo, and yes you change all the camera/bird settings in the app.

Im thinking of purchasing the Phantom 3 Professional, i currently have the Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal and a gopro.

I know about the major advertised differences, but how is to fly compared to the Phantom 2?

Is it more stable , less drifting, handle winds better, or some other differences?

I would like to hear from you who has the P3 and has owned or flown a P2 so that you have something to compare with.

Is the difference between the P2 and P3 like night and day or is there just a little bit of difference in these things i ask about?

What about the 4K camera on the P3 Professional, how is it compared to the GoPro 3+ Hero Black / Hero 4 Black, in terms of quality and functions?

Would you recommend to upgrade to a P3 even if i currently have the P2?

I would appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.
I sold my phantom 2 vision +. I dont think i would have ever flown it again. Everything is better about the P3, even actual flight times.

I've had my P3P a little over a week now, and am impressed with the stability, speed and image quality (both video and photo). But I still plan on keeping my P2 with GoPro Hero4 Black. If I need a wide shot, I can do it with the GoPro. I also can shoot 2.7k video with the GoPro at 60fps, which isn't an option with the P3P. So, basically, I like having shooting options - as well as a back-up bird.

Reactions: Ezookiel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic