P3 battery over heating issues.

Reaction score
I have a P3P and I have been noticing the battery is frying pan hot after I land. Is there an issue with the batteries overheating? Keep in mind this early morning runs 75 to 80 degrees.

frying pan hot? Yes that's an issue if you aren't being hyperbolic. However, the Phantom 3 batteries do become very hot (not so hot you can't touch them - but hot enough to be considered more than mildly warm).

If you bring them inside and they return to normal temp and can charge within about 15-20 mins than you are probably fine.

If you can cook an egg on your battery... that's bad ;)

frying pan hot? Yes that's an issue if you aren't being hyperbolic. However, the Phantom 3 batteries do become very hot (not so hot you can't touch them - but hot enough to be considered more than mildly warm).

If you bring them inside and they return to normal temp and can charge within about 15-20 mins than you are probably fine.

If you can cook an egg on your battery... that's bad ;)
+1. If you can't take the pack out of your bird and comfortable hold it in your hand, something is wrong.

I live in Arizona. My battery is too hot to hold after a flight. I take it out right away so it can cool faster and so it doesn't keep lingering heat next to the rest of the electronics.

With the heat of summer rapidly approaching, I am concerned with the possibility of overheating batteries when flying in the middle of the day. I have been flying my P4 since early February, during cool weather; however, I have noticed that battery temps are beginning to rise given the risen in ambient temperatures.

Can I assume that removing the battery from the P4 as soon as possible, after landing, is better than leaving it in the P4, allowing the heat to build?

Cautious and Curious.....

I've flown a number of times in 80-85f temps and the batteries have only ever been hot, but never too hot to hold it. Having said that, I don't go hammering the AC.

I've flown a number of times in 80-85f temps and the batteries have only ever been hot, but never too hot to hold it. Having said that, I don't go hammering the AC.

Yes, I agree. I just returned from flying for 13 minutes, and I also DO NOT put the pedal to the medal. Outside temp was 87 degrees and the battery temp was recorded at 120.1 degrees. That is not bad. Upon landing, I turn the P4 off and remove the battery and place it where a breeze can help cool the cells.

Numone, I retired after a career in Supply Chain Management with a large company. Thank for your input.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20