P3 battery checks - just for interest

Reaction score
Just for interest : I usually do not look at life cycles ... but because of another thread about P4 battery at 100 cycles - I thought why not and I was surprised at the results. I did this with the batts at DJI auto storage level ....

I have 3 batts ... one DJI .. other two are Kuendle copies ... P3. All 3 fly my P3 to similar run time and performance .. I notice no difference at all.

Batt 3 (copy) reads 75 and just for a laugh I'll put the mAh it reports for pack max capacity 4101
Cell 1 : 3.68 Cell 2 : 3.68 Cell 3 : 3.67 Cell 4 : 3.67

Batt 2 (copy) reads 47 and again for a laugh mAh 4306
Cell 1 : 3.78 Cell 2 : 3.78 Cell 3 : 3.78 Cell 4 : 3.78

Batt 1 (OEM) reads 92 and again for a laugh mAh 4291
Cell 1 : 3.73 Cell 2 : 3.73 Cell 3 : 3.73 Cell 4 : 3.73

I say 'for a laugh' because there is no way that board can report that accurately without doing a full up / down test routine and its always subject to Internal Resistance of the cells under load anyway ..
I am now charging them up fully (batts switched ON to get as much in as possible) ... then I will check again and post up figs.

Forgot to say ... because of the length of time I have had these batterys - I was expecting much higher cycle counts .... (I am fully aware of how the cycle counts are made up of partial cycles in use).

Reactions: PVRNZ
OK .... fully charged results :

Batt 3 (copy) reads 75 and just for a laugh I'll put the mAh it reports for pack max capacity 4095
Cell 1 : 4.24 Cell 2 : 4.25 Cell 3 : 4.24 Cell 4 : 4.24 ... Go says 100% !

Batt 2 (copy) reads 47 and again for a laugh mAh 4259
Cell 1 : 4.31 Cell 2 : 4.31 Cell 3 : 4.31 Cell 4 : 4.31 ... Go says 100%

Batt 1 (OEM) reads 92 and again for a laugh mAh 4231
Cell 1 : 4.25 Cell 2 : 4.26 Cell 3 : 4.25 Cell 4 : 4.25 .... Go says 97%

Now that just goes to show my argument about mAh shown ... already there is a difference and in fact you'd expect better numbers - but they are worse.

I am surprised that 1 + 3 did not reach full HV 4.3x voltage ...

I will try a different charger ... I have various DJI and non DJI chargers - see which one gives the best charge.

Tried topups via 3+1 charger .... B6 Mini LiPo Programmable charger ... DJI 3 Pro charger ..... no change in battery results ... they all produced same.

Reactions: PVRNZ
Very interesting Nigel. I have 3 P3 batteries as well. One OEM, one new Flyhi brand, and one new "unknown brand" ordered from wish.com which appears to be identical to the Powerextra batterries I had bought and returned. I will say this, all have the latest FW and all updated with no issue. Flying times are practically identical and all report no cell errors. However this unknown brand has the same "tick tick tick" sound (produced by the AC) after flight when warm and powered off. It must be removed from the AC until it cools to shut down properly, same as my powerextra batteries did. I will report on the same stats you did soon. Altho testing so far shows they are all very similar.

I've read about this Tick Tick Tick before ... but never heard it myself. I know I asked others in my club ... no-one had heard it either. But I have to say that most of us were buying P3 batts from same Irish seller ... Keundle ..... with every battery good. But sadly he stopped selling them .... I think because some buyers gave poor feedback.

On Feedback - I know a number of people who have sold good items without problems but 'unscrupulous' buyers have played the claim and feedback game to get money back ... a couple I know refused to continue on eBay ... another in fact had his account closed !!

Till I need replace my batts ... I'm happy enough though. Then it will be search the web for a deal. No good asking club guys as most have shelved their Phantoms and are back flying regular RC.

I tested my 3 batteries. All were charged with the OEM P3P (higher wattage) charger. All 3 had self discharged from storage and were powered on BEFORE connecting the charger. Results are as reported by Dji Go immediately after powering up:
OEM battery:
100% 59 times charged cells 1 thru 4:
4.30 4.30 4.30 4.30
mAh capacity: 4290
FlyHi battery:
97% 11 times charged cells 1 thru 4:
4.30 4.30 4.30 4.30
mAh capacity: 4359
Unknown brand battery:
100% 4 times charged cells 1 thru 4:
4.26 4.26 4.27 4.25
mAh capacity: 4341

Its interesting that the % doesn't seem to actually tally with cell voltages ... same as I found.

Cheers

Reactions: 3rdof5

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers