P3 a step backwards from P2?

Reaction score
I have had a P2 vision (original version, non plus) for over a year and have to say it has mostly been a flawless flying machine. Never crashed and apart from some frequent FPV disconnects needing a reboot haven't had any other issues.

I've been contemplating upgrading to the P3 but despite all the new tech on it something struck me as a very significant step backwards....upgrading the Firmware. On the P2 it was amazingly easy and super user friendly. Plug in your micro USB directly into the copter, it would check the versions and would automatically update itself in SECONDS. You also could control a huge amount of settings from the
P2 desktop assistant software,look at battery stats etc.

Now on the P3 from what I'm reading and watching on videos the process is ludicrous. Go to the website, download the correct firmware (1st opportunity for error) , copy to SD Card, follow instructions, rename files on sd cards, wait up to 20-30 MINUTES (!!) read text files the phantom creates on the sd card to confirm successful upgrade, watch the lights and listen for characteristic beeping tones, reattach SD card to computer delete files, return SD Card to copter etc etc....

This seems a a giant leap backwards as far as ease of use and accuracy goes...what gives? If DJI is so keen for users to be running the latest firmware why the hell are they running such an archaic upgrade system?

I have to say, I love my P3 but updating the firmware is ridiculous compared to how easy it was on my P2V+.

The idea is to no longer use a PC and have everything done standalone.
There are more benefits having it all standalone than using the Phantom assist. Nothing worse than getting IMU error and having to connect to a PC to recalibrate when you are million miles from home or in the middle of the jungle. You basically need to find a pc and that means you need to lug a laptop everywhere you go.

I don't think its a big issue doing the firmware update this way as firmware updates aren't that frequent. But you can see the advantages by no longer connecting to a PC.

I just flew 15,133 feet away. Yes, the verdict is in, the P3P is absolutely great!

Attachments

• tmp_7107--2112847549.jpeg
    tmp_7107--2112847549.jpeg
    679.2 KB · Views: 477
Download the firmware. Unpack the bin file to the root. Plug it into the P3 and turn it on. Wait. Turn off the P3.

P2 = launch the Assistant, plug in the P2. Navigate to the correct area and have the Assistance update the P2. Do the same for the gimbals. Do the same for batteries.

Both are very easy.

Reactions: JoshWMS and Meta4
"Go to the website, download the correct firmware (1st opportunity for error) , copy to SD Card, follow instructions, rename files on sd cards, wait up to 20-30 MINUTES (!!)"

What are you renaming? And why? My firmware upgrade the other day took under 10 minutes.

First Phantom I have ever owned, upgrading firmware is an absolute doddle....... The problem is you are reading too many negative threads with problems that don't actually exist and are purely down to human error or maybe put out there by a Troll purely to discridit the P3. My suggestion is buy a P3 and make your own mind up.

Almost wanted to hate the idea of using the SD card for updates until I realized it completely takes away the need for a PC …

Downloaded file on android tablet
Extracted on android tablet
Placed in root directory of SD card with android tablet
Updated everything in the field before flying on Sunday

Major step forward for getting things done wherever and whenever you want or need to update.

It is amazing how people are not open to criticism, or are just looking to criticize...

The original poster is correct: the firmware upgrade process is cumbersome. Does it make the p3 worse than p2? No.
But could it be better? Absolutely!

Here is an idea for dji:
The app already knows to identify when there is a new version on the site, as it knows to alert you to upgrade it. So what the app should do is download the firmware and send it to the quad. Check the transfer was done and then send a command to the quad to update.

Here you go: a process, that does not require anything else. And better yet: instead of asking to read a text file to know the results, have the result be displayed on the app.

Want better? Have the drone update the app on progress. Show a progress bar instead of annoying beeps that don't give any indication how long is remaining in the process.

Bottom line: the upgrade could be made MUCH simpler. DJI, are you listening?

Yeah they really need to look at this. Even just connecting your phone/tab to the drone via usb would be an easier way to upgrade.

The original poster is correct: the firmware upgrade process is cumbersome.
No more so then any prior Phantom. I'd say it's different. There are a few people that have some difficulty but these are really those people that did not read the directions and/or are used to the old updates.

I was one that did not read the directions carefully enough on this last update and did not catch where it said the controller did not need to be updated.

The app already knows to identify when there is a new version on the site, as it knows to alert you to upgrade it. So what the app should do is download the firmware and send it to the quad. Check the transfer was done and then send a command to the quad to update.
I agree 100%. The app keeps popping up a message on my screen asking if I want to upgrade (I already have and this only appears when I don't have an Internet connection). So I think DJI may do this. It's obvious that they were not done with the app by launch date as it does not even have Android live stream or Flight Sim as promised and does not have GS at all.

The idea is to no longer use a PC and have everything done standalone.
There are more benefits having it all standalone than using the Phantom assist. Nothing worse than getting IMU error and having to connect to a PC to recalibrate when you are million miles from home or in the middle of the jungle. You basically need to find a pc and that means you need to lug a laptop everywhere you go.

I don't think its a big issue doing the firmware update this way as firmware updates aren't that frequent. But you can see the advantages by no longer connecting to a PC.

You are basing it without even having flown one and on upgrading firmware experience alone?

Being a product manager, I have to agree that DJI look like total amateurs with their upgrade system. They didn't think it through, or spent too little time/effort on optimizing it. Having said that, I love everything else about my P3.

Reactions: snowghost
I have had a P2 vision (original version, non plus) for over a year and have to say it has mostly been a flawless flying machine. Never crashed and apart from some frequent FPV disconnects needing a reboot haven't had any other issues.

I've been contemplating upgrading to the P3 but despite all the new tech on it something struck me as a very significant step backwards....upgrading the Firmware. On the P2 it was amazingly easy and super user friendly. Plug in your micro USB directly into the copter, it would check the versions and would automatically update itself in SECONDS. You also could control a huge amount of settings from the
P2 desktop assistant software,look at battery stats etc.

Now on the P3 from what I'm reading and watching on videos the process is ludicrous. Go to the website, download the correct firmware (1st opportunity for error) , copy to SD Card, follow instructions, rename files on sd cards, wait up to 20-30 MINUTES (!!) read text files the phantom creates on the sd card to confirm successful upgrade, watch the lights and listen for characteristic beeping tones, reattach SD card to computer delete files, return SD Card to copter etc etc....

This seems a a giant leap backwards as far as ease of use and accuracy goes...what gives? If DJI is so keen for users to be running the latest firmware why the hell are they running such an archaic upgrade system?

If you think the firmware update process is "ludicrous" you should rethink owning one of these drones. You download a file from the website and put it on an SD card.... you don't have to rename any files, or read any text files. The app will tell you what firmware you're running and you can format the card from the app. If that's too difficult to understand I don't know what to tell ya bud.

Reactions: desertcat
The two may share a similar body style but it pretty quickly ends there. I was surprised by the update method as well but quickly learned it was a snap to do. It took about 6 minutes on mine and was pretty easy to confirm when it was done by simply listening to the beeps. For $1300 US this is an amazing piece of technology that might have a few flaws none of which outweigh the outstanding performance and range. Maybe just go out and fly yours to see what you "like" about it you might find you forget about those "little" things you don't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.