P2V GPS Cable Connector Question - Two Quick Ones

Reaction score
There are two cables that run from the GPS in the drone cover to the body. I'm addressing the 5-wire gray cable that runs from the GPS board thru the body and down one leg to the compass.

Here's the two "Quick Ones:"

1. What kind, make, whatever are the connectors on the ends called?

2. Just how do you remove the female from the male without tearing up the connector part?

The answers may be on this forum somewhere, but I'd appreciate your forgiving me for asking first and not searching. If you know of links to the answers, I'd be thankful for those.

It's Christmas time, and I've got SO much going on, probably just like you!!

Anyway, thanks for your assistance and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Hello,
I can help!

Ok
The connectors are ( Molex ) 5 port.

Male side ( side mounted to craft motherboard and GPS puck ) depending on version GPS you have, since you have this port, your GPS it is the older version.

Here are the part numbers ( can be found at Digi-Key.com )

Molex 5 port male connector
# 53047-0510
image.png

Ok
Female side ( wire ends )
Molex 5 port female connector
# 51021-0500
image.png

Next
The pins for the female connector
Molex connector pins ( 26-28 gauge )
# 50079-8000
image.png

( get several of these, as they are easy to break )

Lastly
You'll need a crimper, I use an ( Engineer PA-09 ) crimping tool.
About $20US.
Here is a pic
image.png

Hope this helps

Ok
REMOVAL, OR SEPERATION of the connectors

1) remove ANY silicone, with a razor knife( around the connector )
2) top side of female connectors ( wire ends ) have small tabs one on each side, pry on these tabs, DO NOT PULL WIRES, it will break.
( NOTE: almost best to kind of wobble it out, little left, little right, until it releases ) this is the safest bet.

Please let me know, if I can be of further assistance!
Best of luck, take care, and fly safe!

J Dot
:cool:

Hey J Dot,

You've saved me hours and probably $$ with your reply.

I've seen other Molex connectors, which were larger, for larger wire, but didn't know what they were.

Thanks for at least doubling my electronic IQ. By training and career, I am an analytical chemist, now retired.

I leave with just one question for clarity's sake.

You said "pry" the female via the small tabs on the side to sorta "wobble out" the female from the male. (What a tragedy!! 8>]). Is this best done with a small, flat-blade jeweler's screwdriver or the dull side of a thin x-acto knife, or the like, pushing the tabs outwards (to the side).

Then, maybe you just push the tabs backwards in the direction you want to "wiggle" it.

Please set me straight on this.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

And thanks!!!

You are more than welcome,
As when I started doing mods on the p2's, I got no assistance, so I started researching, all the connectors, plugs, tabs, you name it, I now know every inch of a p2 mainboard, lol.

Anyhow
The connectors just press in, and pull out, I use my fingernails, personally, but a small screwdriver, or alike would work fine, I don't think you need to be SUPER GENTILE, but should snap in or out with minimal force, I've seen very loose to very tight connectors, and to have damaged them , by removing a stubborn connector, then DJI started putting silicone on their connectors, so this added more excitement to a easy removal!:rolleyes:

The worst thing I ever seen, was a craft I repaired for a friend, bad GPS ( cracked ceramic patch antenna ), but he epoxied the connector together, I don't mean a a tiny dab either, it was a mess, and a son of a gun to get connector apart without damage, dremmel , x-acto knife, small screwdrivers, and a TON of patients! But I got her done without damage!

Hope this helps

J Dot
:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues