P2V+ crash.. busted gimble and app issues

Reaction score
Ok.. So noob pilot error = crashed phantom. It crashed from about 18 feet and ruined the gimble. The ribbon cable got punctured and bent just about everything (very soft aluminum). Anyway.. I have a replacement gimble/camera on the way. The copter flies just fine and appears to calibrate normally without the gimble. I connected the gimble board without the camera attached to see if the app would work with out the camera. I can connect to the Wifi but the battery status and the GPS indicators are not working with in the app. Should this work without the camera? Is the board damaged or is there something else to look at? Thanks in advanced. I await your shaming comments ;)

In the three sets wires that come down from the bird to the gimbal board, 2 of the widest cables acts as a bridge to power on and detect if there is gimbal+camera. If the board is dead (no lights next to the button) the wifi will not power up and show telemetry.
However, if there is power to the gimbal board and the led is on, then chances that the 4pin clip cable is broken and not inserted firmly. Inspect it and reinsert and see if you still get telemetry.

In the three sets wires that come down from the bird to the gimbal board, 2 of the widest cables acts as a bridge to power on and detect if there is gimbal+camera. If the board is dead (no lights next to the button) the wifi will not power up and show telemetry.
However, if there is power to the gimbal board and the led is on, then chances that the 4pin clip cable is broken and not inserted firmly. Inspect it and reinsert and see if you still get telemetry.
Thanks I will take a look and let you know what I find.

I did a bit of testing and found that the led is not lighting up on the gimble motherboard. I did a continuity test on the 4 pin and verified that the wires are good to the wifi board (witch lights up) and another board on the back. I did not test the other two multipin connectors yet. I did verify that everything was plugged in securely. Is there a schematic that we can download? I will test for continuity and power on the other connectors. In the meantime, is there a schematic anywhere? Or do we know what the voltages should be on these pins? I am starting to lean towards the gimble board being bad, since the shaft got tweaked. It seems likely that it may have been slightly cracked when the main gimble shaft moved. Is there a place that we can get this board? I have looked but have only found the whole gimble assembly. Thanks!

I've never found anything other than the entire gimbal assembly, which I had to replace after a pilot error, but who know's whats out there?
Replacing the assembly is a straightforward repair.

I've never found anything other than the entire gimbal assembly, which I had to replace after a pilot error, but who know's whats out there?
Replacing the assembly is a straightforward repair.
Yeah.. looks like you are correct. I wasn't sure which components were responsible for telemetry and battery status on the app, and I wanted to make sure I was diagnosing things properly. Thanks for the info.. helps tremendously.

Quick question for you guys: after almost two years of flawless flying, I thought it would be really cool to hover my P2V+ outside our 2nd floor living room window at night so I could take a selfie with my family while we decorated our tree last night. Needless to say this was a dumb idea as the copter edged toward the window, eventually hitting it, snapping all the rotors, and crashing 10 feet below. The battery had ejected from the copter, so I lost the video. Everything seems to work, but the gimbal, which simply makes jerking motions up and down,might and left, and won't ever stay still. The message I get on my app is to remove the gimbal clamp, which obviously is not on. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is it time for the Phantom 3?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

Quick question for you guys: after almost two years of flawless flying, I thought it would be really cool to hover my P2V+ outside our 2nd floor living room window at night so I could take a selfie with my family while we decorated our tree last night. Needless to say this was a dumb idea as the copter edged toward the window, eventually hitting it, snapping all the rotors, and crashing 10 feet below. The battery had ejected from the copter, so I lost the video. Everything seems to work, but the gimbal, which simply makes jerking motions up and down,might and left, and won't ever stay still. The message I get on my app is to remove the gimbal clamp, which obviously is not on. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is it time for the Phantom 3?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

If you can keep the SD card in the gimbal power up the phantom, the video will finalise. If that doesnt work, try playing back the footage via the wifi and DJI app.
I think the gimbal needs to be pulled apart and inspected. Could be a simple shaft alignment.

Thanks so much for your input, guys! I removed the rear gimbal cover to see if the horizontal alignment was off. It did not appear to be as the flat end of the axel was parallel with the horizontal edge/top of the camera housing. Is there anything else I can check? I really appreciate your help.

Best,

Mark

I am having a similar problem , i can see WiFi status and take photo and video ,also see the sd card and playback within app.

I cant get live video or osd info from phantom, i replaced all cables to WiFi module still no joy !!!!!

I have posted in all other threads regarding this issue and i am hoping it isnt the module , could it be the gimble board?

most likely your wifi module, especially if you replaced all the cables.
is the wifi module v2 or v3? v3 is perforated for ventilation. v2 are solid aluminum case which caused overheating.

Thanks for the reply hunch

Its a v2 i think (no holes) i did open it up and gave it a good amount of paste , would of thought if it was the module i wouldn't get anything at all , i did get about 30 seconds by fluke , but cant remember what i did!!!!!!! think it must of been the frustrated violent shake i gave it , before it was banished to the corner lol

LOL...
yeah if the wifi unit is toast you will get all the telemetry, video recording will work, pic snapshot will work and all but no live video streaming.
just circle spinning in the middle of the screen.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic