P2V Battery fires?

Reaction score
I've been looking into the dangers of lipos and fires and there are some quite horific videos out there including the ineffectual bags/sacks on ebay.

The purpose of this thread is to establish within the community any history of fires (not other battery faults), indeed if any, anyone has had specifically with the P2 series batteries only.

While the dangers of this type of battery are well known it would be good to confirm or otherwise if its a myth for the P2 series and if their engineering has protection against fires. Any DJI staff out there with any input too?

I posted this also on the other P2 model forums here.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Re: P2V Battery fires

I've not seen any reports of any lipo fire with a genuine DJI smart battery. The circuitry in the smart battery includes overcharge protection and under-voltage protection. It also has temperature sensing as well which presumably will cease charging on overheat. The plastic cage helps prevent crash and puncture damage.

There are some non-DJI clone batteries appearing but I wouldn't touch those with a barge pole - it's just not worth the risk either to the aircraft or yourself in my opinion.

Standard lipo safety still applies with the smart battery, though, so never charge unattended and store away from combustible items - mine live in a metal box. Check regularly for signs of swelling and other damage and deal accordingly.

Re: P2V Battery fires

OP here. Its 24 hours now after the original post so thank you everyone for the 20+ posts accross the 3 forums.

The purpose was to try to established if there was any history of fires in the P2 series batteries. Consensus is that that there have been none reported or known apart from those arising from unintended situations such as landing in water! Task accomplished.

On a side note there is also a good contribution from many on the care of Lipos in general which would obviously apply to the P2 series batteries as well.

Thanks everyone. Infinity and beyond...

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl