P2 Won't Fly After Crash

Reaction score
Hello All,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Live in Southern Colorado at 8200ft Elevation.

I was given a Phantom 2 Standard with a FlySight FPV, GoPro Hero 4, 8 extra props and a few extra batteries. What a great gift!

I flew the phantom in mostly open areas to start as I was just learning. I had 4 total batteries so I was always able to get over an hour of flying at a time allowing me to learn pretty quick. I have had about two instances where the drone takes off as normal but then immediately just flies straight with no control for about 50 yards, then i regain full control. No big deal as i'm always in an open area.

I then started flying at my house, which is in a neighborhood with quite a few trees. I have flown here for probably a dozen hours with no issues.

However - recently, i was flying as normal - went through two batteries. Brought the drone down to change to my third battery. Switched the battery, fired up the drone, calibrated the compass, waited for a minimum of 8 satellites, and fired it up. The drone took off and was normal until about 20ft altitude. At that point, it took off with no control heading west. It hit a neighbors tree, came down, pounded the ground (enough to bend the landing gear slightly) and went back up, coming to a halt in the next tree over.

No props were broken (how?) the gopro still worked, but i lacked the FPV monitors 5ghz antenna. No big deal - i'll fly without the antenna until i buy a new one. I went back to my driveway that had a little more space between trees (approx 100ft diameter with no obstructions.) I re-calibrated, waited about 45 seconds so it would have time to acquire satellites (since i was now flying with no FPV to tell me if i had satellites.)
Attempted to take off and it flips immediately on its' top. Every time thereafter, it tries to flip over completely or leans on one sides propellers. It has not flown right since the crash.

I have this all on video as well and can grab it off my go-pro to show you guys the crash, if for any reason it's necessary.

DJI support said i have to send it in so they can diagnose. I'm wondering if there is a way to plug in this older drone to the computer and possibly update it or something of the sort? I'd love to get this thing fixed on my own as i'm pretty handy with computers, but I'm not Drone smart enough yet!

Thank you so much for any help you guys can offer!

Hello All,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Live in Southern Colorado at 8200ft Elevation.

I was given a Phantom 2 Standard with a FlySight FPV, GoPro Hero 4, 8 extra props and a few extra batteries. What a great gift!

I flew the phantom in mostly open areas to start as I was just learning. I had 4 total batteries so I was always able to get over an hour of flying at a time allowing me to learn pretty quick. I have had about two instances where the drone takes off as normal but then immediately just flies straight with no control for about 50 yards, then i regain full control. No big deal as i'm always in an open area.

I then started flying at my house, which is in a neighborhood with quite a few trees. I have flown here for probably a dozen hours with no issues.

However - recently, i was flying as normal - went through two batteries. Brought the drone down to change to my third battery. Switched the battery, fired up the drone, calibrated the compass, waited for a minimum of 8 satellites, and fired it up. The drone took off and was normal until about 20ft altitude. At that point, it took off with no control heading west. It hit a neighbors tree, came down, pounded the ground (enough to bend the landing gear slightly) and went back up, coming to a halt in the next tree over.

No props were broken (how?) the gopro still worked, but i lacked the FPV monitors 5ghz antenna. No big deal - i'll fly without the antenna until i buy a new one. I went back to my driveway that had a little more space between trees (approx 100ft diameter with no obstructions.) I re-calibrated, waited about 45 seconds so it would have time to acquire satellites (since i was now flying with no FPV to tell me if i had satellites.)
Attempted to take off and it flips immediately on its' top. Every time thereafter, it tries to flip over completely or leans on one sides propellers. It has not flown right since the crash.

I have this all on video as well and can grab it off my go-pro to show you guys the crash, if for any reason it's necessary.

DJI support said i have to send it in so they can diagnose. I'm wondering if there is a way to plug in this older drone to the computer and possibly update it or something of the sort? I'd love to get this thing fixed on my own as i'm pretty handy with computers, but I'm not Drone smart enough yet!

Thank you so much for any help you guys can offer!
Take the propellers off the motors. Then, set the phantom down on a level surface and turn the motors on. Do they all spin equally? If not, you may need to open it up.

I used to build computers until it became more expensive to build one from parts, and they were just as good, except for the trash ware, of course.
I use that knowledge in working on drones, as they are just computers with a different case and power supply.
There are many YouTube videos to help you get started, from easy stuff to really difficult things. They can also help you with your troubleshooting, which you are probably pretty good with already, as you are a computer guy.
Keep checking back here for help; many users love to help each other.
I’m new to Phantoms, with a 3 Standard, and never had a smart Drone before, but I’m learning. I learn my best stuff after a crash, lol.

Youtube is a very helpful resource. I learned how to do everything with these drones from YouTube videos. If you are really stuck, the Phantom 3 has pretty much the same construction/airframe as the Phantom 2, if you need help from more people. Most of the differences between the Phantom 2 and 3 are internal.

Thanks for the responses fellas. I'll try the motors tonight to see if i can judge their speeds.

I'll also get on Youtube to troubleshoot. I knew youtube was a wealth of information but haven't tried to troubleshoot with youtube yet.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20