P2 vs P3

Reaction score
Hey All,
Used to post here quite a bit but haven't flown the drone in a long time so I fell away but after some advice from you all.

I am an archaeologist and I use my drone to take photographs of archaeological sites.(See some here)

Anyways, my setup is a old P2v1 which is fitted out with an IOSD mini, FPV, custom mount, which I attach a Canon s110. This is basically because I need photographs with as little lens distortion as possible. Camera is 12.1mp and takes quite nice shots. 90% of the shots I take are straight vertical downwards.

Thinking of whether I need to upgrade or not. So thinking of either upgrading the P2 to a v2 with new motors, or alternatively, buying a P3. If I go the P2v2 I would put a bigger camera on it as it has a higher takeoff weight right?

Just curious if anyone could offer some advice? What are the photos on the P3 like? Would they be as good as my Point and Shoot Canon? If not, what is the max take off weight of the P2v2? The old P2 was 1400grams, which I just fit under.

I'd also say my primary reason for using this is to just take vertical downwards photos- I also take the odd anged shot but the GOPRO on the H32D mount can normally handle that.
Thanks
Hugh

I can't comment on the camera since I know neither your Canon nor the P3 cameras. There's an substantial improvement in lifting capacity form the P2V+ V2 and the P2V+ V3.

This video shows the differences lifting capacity, motors, and props. Hope it helps.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Yeah the P3 looks great, but I am just nervous the photos are not as clear as my canon, and clarity is the primary goal. The P2 upgrade looks nice, I'd try do it myself by upgrading the props and motors on my P2v1 but I am not the best solderer in the world.... I am just curious about max take off weight. I pushed mine to around 1350grams, are people now flying a P2v2 with like 1800 grams on it due to the upgraded motors etc

Also I am curious- is it worth upgrading to the new compass if I upgrade all the parts??? Hmmmm or then is it just worth buying a P2v2 cause it'll only cost a fraction more...

Some people who were quite serious about photography worked out putting a Sony RX100 on the P2. There are some threads in the P2 forum on it. The path was not straightforward but they worked out a number of the kinks. Meanwhile the P3 is very straightforward and takes pretty good stills.

There is also the option of fitting a 5.4mm lens on the GoPro to eliminate the visual distortion. I did that and love the result. Click on the "Oregon Cascades" video on this page (that's the only one for now with the new 5.4mm lens):
http://DattaGroover.com/Videos

I had (until yesterday when it went crazy and committed suicide in a Haarlem canal) a P2 version 2, and it was much better than the version 1. I am leaning towards the 3DR solo as I believe the GoPro is a much better camera than the P3's (especially with the lens mod).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31