over two miles out to find some whales

Hey jordkl On a trip like that I like to start heading back between 50-60% battery to be safe...

Reactions: jordkl
Humpbacks, grey, Orca's ( never seen one personal here) I live near San Francisco on the coast. They travel though here. Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

@jordkl How low are you able to fly? Any antenna mods? I've found issues with signal less than 100ft. Tried a windsurfer but doesn't help much at lower altitudes. Two miles out I'd have to be 150-200ft up. Has that been your experience?
Very nice vids btw. Was in Kauai and Maui last sept and didn't think to check out whales. Probably too early in the season anyway

Absolutely incredible. I can't believe you managed to spot them and zero in. This is hands down the best footage I've ever seen from a Phantom. Congratulations. I was so nervous for you when you got there though, as another poster said I would be so torn between the amazing footage and wanting to make it back before the battery gives out. Have you considered a dual battery mod so you can stay out a lot longer?

Reactions: jordkl
Not to rain on your parade, but, LOS requirement is "unaided" eyesight, I believe. Just a heads-up, keep an eye out because they could nail you with that if they really wanted to. Otherwise, great video!

@jordkl How low are you able to fly? Any antenna mods? I've found issues with signal less than 100ft. Tried a windsurfer but doesn't help much at lower altitudes. Two miles out I'd have to be 150-200ft up. Has that been your experience?
Very nice vids btw. Was in Kauai and Maui last sept and didn't think to check out whales. Probably too early in the season anyway

I'm able to fly pretty low. I stay at about 40-50 feet. I do notice that it cuts out intermittently between .5 - 1.5 miles. Like for this flight I just kept going and everything was fine at 2+. I haven't tried any antenna mods. I hear good things about them and I might try them next season. Lightbridge has been working pretty well so I didn't wanna mess with it.

Thank you! very lucky to live in a beautiful place. It was pretty quiet whale season on Kauai, Maui might have had a few in sept. probably a little early. Next time though!

Humpbacks, grey, Orca's ( never seen one personal here) I live near San Francisco on the coast. They travel though here. Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nice! That entire coast is beautiful. I lived in the bay for a few years. miss it very much.

Absolutely incredible. I can't believe you managed to spot them and zero in. This is hands down the best footage I've ever seen from a Phantom. Congratulations. I was so nervous for you when you got there though, as another poster said I would be so torn between the amazing footage and wanting to make it back before the battery gives out. Have you considered a dual battery mod so you can stay out a lot longer?

ahh. Thanks! its a challenge finding them. thankfully this time it was a little easier since there was a mother trying to teach her calf. Its definitely a balance. I try to be pretty conservative with my battery estimates and haven't had any close calls (knock on wood). I've looked into different mods but I figure the more I mess with it the more it'll probably fail on me. I have very bad luck when it comes to trying to improve things that don't need improving. haha

Not to rain on your parade, but, LOS requirement is "unaided" eyesight, I believe. Just a heads-up, keep an eye out because they could nail you with that if they really wanted to. Otherwise, great video!
I gotta add in a little clause *aircraft was visible with naked eye at all times. Telescope used for added safety. thanks for looking out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik