Out of control

Reaction score
Sad to say when flying my Phantom today for some reason just kept climbing and I had no control over it. God knows how high it went or where it came down ..

Droidcam said:
Sad to say when flying my Phantom today for some reason just kept climbing and I had no control over it. God knows how high it went or where it came down ..

Sorry to hear it. Did you have your contact info on it somewhere? When mine went rogue, I was lucky because I had written my phone number on the props, and a week after it was lost a guy found it!

Droidcam said:

Sorry to hear.
But hopefully you had contact info on it, as chances are pretty good someone might find it, if you live in a populated area.

did you try to kill the transmitter to do RTH? and how far into the flight were you?

Droidcam said:
Can we get some specifics, did you have a go pro on it, was it in wireless mode if so. What mode were you in GPS/atti IOC? Anything............

Gizmo3000 said:
Droidcam said:

Sorry to hear.
But hopefully you had contact info on it, as chances are pretty good someone might find it, if you live in a populated area.

did you try to kill the transmitter to do RTH? and how far into the flight were you?

I know this doesn't get it back mate sorry for you, but about three weeks ago this happened to my son who took it for a fly on the balcony, as soon as he primed the motors it took off straight up (same thing no control) and they lost sight of it. Lucky my other son was inside and turned off the transmitter when he got outside. They couldn't even see it as it went straight up and out of sight. 5 minutes later it was descending and he gained control over it and landed it. What go me more angry, he didn't have the camera attached. Would have loved to see how high it got but it did have a few errors on it when we plugged it in to the computer and check, compass error, then error 27, then 26 then 25 so it was all out of whack. So if this happens to others turn the transmitter off as the RTH does work. Also I do have my mobile phone number on it as well.

JS

This scares me when I hear a Phantom gets lost, I plan to order mine monday. I think I will have a dog tag made with my name and phone number, I plan to glue it to the body.

Great advice. I'm putting my phone number on mine. I would hate to see it just take off like that.

FangsCPO said:
Great advice. I'm putting my phone number on mine. I would hate to see it just take off like that.

I print my contact # on a small slip of paper, and then afix it to the top of my Phantom using thick packaging tape.
.and also wrote my number down on the side with a sharpie (tho it's fading),
can never be too careful.

I'm kicking myself now or not putting any contact details on it. Luckily it didn't have my gopro 3 attached. I've reported lost to the Police, they thought I was kidding..I wonder how high it would of gone, 10-15 min of battery, climbing out of control.There must of been some kind of fault, I've been flying it perfectly well for a few weeks without any crashes. Expensive way to find out the DJI Phantom can just loose control, I've contacted DJI but they haven't returned my emali.

Good luck

Was it windy? That would push it even further than you would expect. When my original Phantom went away, it travelled two miles before it came back down. And it did that in a little over three and a half minutes.

We have seen video of them flying over 7000 feet... and falling like a brick ... (however even after that fall it wasn't damaged much)... Sounds like some issues with the GPS or compass. Flicking to atti mode would have likely stopped it. But in panic it takes a clear head to think to do this.

The Phantom can climb right out of visual range in no time at all. Especially on a clear blue-sky day. Blink, and it's instant panic!

If you're in GPS mode, it can be really slow to descend too (20 second climb and 4 minute descent).

All the more reason to add FPV and telemetry, I suppose.

The Phantom has a lot in common with Class 3 drugs: "Oh THIS looks cool! Let's just TRY IT! I won't get hooked!" A month later, the bills aren't paid because you've blown all your money on a Fatshark kit, a Wookong-M, an S-800.....

Giblet535 said:
The Phantom can climb right out of visual range in no time at all. Especially on a clear blue-sky day. Blink, and it's instant panic!

If you're in GPS mode, it can be really slow to descend too (20 second climb and 4 minute descent).

I think it can come down quite a bit faster than that! (both intentionally and unintentionally)

But yah,. it can get way up there, and rather disorienting if not careful.
gotta stay within your bounds.
even with FPV, if it gets too far away it will break up, and you'll have no idea where it is!

I had mine for less than a week and watched it fly straight up into the air until I could not see it any longer. I've been searching the woods around my house ever since.

Giblet535 said:

All the more reason to add FPV and telemetry, I suppose.

The Phantom has a lot in common with Class 3 drugs: "Oh THIS looks cool! Let's just TRY IT! I won't get hooked!" A month later, the bills aren't paid because you've blown all your money on a Fatshark kit, a Wookong-M, an S-800.....

:lol:

THX8612 said:
I had mine for less than a week and watched it fly straight up into the air until I could not see it any longer. I've been searching the woods around my house ever since.

SacD's Phantom was found over 2 miles away from original location. I would be yours is about the same distance away. Sorry to hear about yours and good luck.

fasteddie said:
This scares me when I hear a Phantom gets lost, I plan to order mine monday. I think I will have a dog tag made with my name and phone number, I plan to glue it to the body.

Take my advice, don't buy a Phantom, runaway Phantoms are becoming more of a common Problem, and to get a replacement Phantom, may take months. Mine has been away for over a month and no sigh of a replacement. If something goes wrong with your Phantom, then expect a poor replacement Policy.

I regret buying one, never again. You know how good the dealer and DJI when something goes wrong and need a replacement Phantom. Forget any fast service, if anything mine is getting replaced at a snails pace. I think the QC has gone right down, and DJI are pumping then out quickly to make heaps of money at the expense of QC.

MRSpyder2U said:
This might be the answer to ending the risk of unexpected fly-aways. Not only that, but it has a built-in tracking feature and its own RTH feature that is not GPS dependent. Its been tested to be unaffected by WiFi or other RF interference.

The Phantom's Phriend

At last! The perfect accessory. This will settle things once and for all. Good find!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl