Out in the middle of nowhere

mjw

Reaction score
Okay, I am out in the middle of nowhere, about to laugh my P3A to inspect a roof - cell signal is WEAK - barely a bar - on my screen is "warning heavy wireless interference, fly with caution" - what the heck did that mean? Was my iPhone on my hip causing the warning message - never saw it pop up before, even when I am working in civilization?

thanks for the reply - phone maybe - elsewhere I doubt it unless the wi-fi system is blasting - there were no towers, residences, businesses present - I was in the boonies.........never had this message before - been flying for about 3 yrs - thanks for the response

Were you launching from the driveway? I bet it was interfering with itself.
You appear to be cnfusing two different causes of interference.
Placing the Phantom on reinforced concrete would have the top bar of the app go red showing Magnetic Field Interference and the motors wouldn't start.
Steel does not give off heavy wireless interference

Yeah I knew somebody would think that. Let me expound a bit.

As we know, radio signals transmit in many directions. What I mean is, if he's aiming the controller too low, the strength of the signal coming from the controller will bounce off the ground and back up into the AC, while at the same time the slightly weaker signal coming from the controller will shoot clean from the controller to the AC. So you have the same signal coming from two directions - one from the controller, one from the ground. The one that is bouncing off the ground is inverted (sine wave is upside down) relative to the primary signal which is cancelling the primary signal. Hence, it is interfering with itself.

Reactions: joeyjan19
Okay, I am out in the middle of nowhere, about to laugh my P3A to inspect a roof - cell signal is WEAK - barely a bar - on my screen is "warning heavy wireless interference, fly with caution" - what the heck did that mean? Was my iPhone on my hip causing the warning message - never saw it pop up before, even when I am working in civilization?

That message appears all the time. I have electric cable towers near my home and I get that message but it doesn't keep me from flying. If there are tons of homes with wifi you will get the message even with the Advanced

If signals were interfering from reflected - then every house / office / establishment would have serious problems.

WiFi as I understand it being digitally coded sends an ID code with the data ... any corruption or different code is ignored and next data string is waited for ... which comes along nanoseconds later.

Anyway - the warning OP has is not stopping him flying as its the WiFi part - not the 5.8 Control part.

Nigel

If signals were interfering from reflected - then every house / office / establishment would have serious problems.
No. Since most signals are vertically polarized, only horizontal objects within the first Fresnel zone, such as the ground, would detrimentally affect the receiver's ability to read a clear signal. See and study the fresnel zone for more details.

No. Since most signals are vertically polarized, only horizontal objects within the first Fresnel zone, such as the ground, would detrimentally affect the receiver's ability to read a clear signal. See and study the fresnel zone for more details.

I'm discussing - not arguing before any one misunderstands me ...

Given the extremely short wavelength we are talking about - surely the person moving just inch or so would alter the reflected wave and its timing to recvr. That allied with the data / code protocol should avoid any problems ?

Second that given that most RC work is now in the 2.4Ghz band as is the WiFi here - I never see any problems when RC Tx is transmitting in any attitude / on / near or above ground ...

Nigel

I'm discussing - not arguing before any one misunderstands me ...

Given the extremely short wavelength we are talking about - surely the person moving just inch or so would alter the reflected wave and its timing to recvr. That allied with the data / code protocol should avoid any problems ?

Second that given that most RC work is now in the 2.4Ghz band as is the WiFi here - I never see any problems when RC Tx is transmitting in any attitude / on / near or above ground ...

Nigel
Nigel, the P3A doesn't use wifi right? The P3S does. Why would wifi interfere with a radio signal?

As far as I am aware, interference from reflections usually only occurs over water at long distances, and at frequencies well below the RC . At 2.4ghz, anything like soil simply absorbs it and turns it into heat. If it were possible, we would all be having the problem.
It could easily be your phone, which is close the receiver in the RC - the transmitter output power is increased to allow it to reply to the cel site's polling when the signal is poor - that is why it goes flat much quicker if you leave it on in the boonies. The interference warning refers to the downlink to the RC- ie the video & telemetry, not the control uplink. The P3A uses lightbridge, which operates in the 2.4 ghz wifi band.
Flight mode is probably the answer.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga