Out In The Field With Verifly

Reaction score
I wanted to post a clip of me using the Verifly application for an actual flight. This clip shows you just how easy it is to use the app and what types of maps and coverage details you'll have access to.

Reactions: Snapring
The Verifly application allows you to instantly purchase insurance for an hour of flying with a million dollars of liability coverage. I use it a lot and wanted to do a clip to show others how easy it was to use since I had a lot of questions after the first overview clip I did. It's a pretty cool way of getting the coverage you need to protect you from the liability of a crash.

I'd like you to explain how this works with film agencies, like FilmLA, who require the insurance paperwork upfront prior to permit application and approval, i.e. ACORD 25 forms, and naming the location as being the insured both. Try to use it with a federal agency, e.g. National Park or National Forest, and apply for a commercial film permit with them where you submit all the paperwork, insurance ACORD 25 forms, and their assigned insurance liability amounts to those agencies to even get a permit moving that might take weeks or months as they review it.

I don't think they'll go for an app saying you just paid $10 for an hour for a $1M policy without them being named insured or absent of the ACORD 25 forms. We need to see you actually use it and apply for a legal shoot permit with a federal or a city film commissioner's office. I doubt if their field monitor assigned to a shoot would even care to sort it out on location at the last minute as the approval is higher up the chain for them to even be on set.

I agree that this type of Instant Insurance isn't perfect for everyone or every situation and if you're doing a large volume of commercial work, you're better off with a yearly policy so you can complete the applications in advance. You'll probably also have a better rate for the insurance as well by committing to a 12-month policy. On the other hand, there are a lot of us out there just getting started with commercial work and may only have a few "paid" shoots a month for a local realtor, parade or car club and can't afford to secure a large policy without building the business a little. Verifly is perfect for this since I can get the policy when I need it and I can easily add the agent or company to the policy for that shoot right in the application. It's also a great option if I'm flying as a hobbyist for the day. Even though it's not required, I like being covered in the unlikely event that my drone decides to misbehave and damages something in a fly-away. I think it's a cool idea and the application is always evolving so you may see other options added over time that make it more appropriate for your needs.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub