Other P4 batteries

That's true! I noticed one thing.. This "premium" battery was already more than 2 years old. It states "manufactured May 20 2016"... so "premium" will give you old batteries :-(

Wow, thanks for the warning! This is really bad conduct from the retailer, Li-Po has a shelf life of maybe 5 years total provided you take good care of them and don't let them rot... I am about to order two new (OEM) batteries, first thing I'll check is the manufacturing date... Maybe good news, that it was out of stock for weeks around here.

At least, the communication between the battery and the aircraft was good and you got a warning instead of falling off the sky when the app shows still 25% charge! I suspect this is the (only?) advantage of the original dji batteries, otherwise the cells are the same.

Wow, thanks for the warning! This is really bad conduct from the retailer, Li-Po has a shelf life of maybe 5 years total provided you take good care of them and don't let them rot... I am about to order two new (OEM) batteries, first thing I'll check is the manufacturing date... Maybe good news, that it was out of stock for weeks around here.

At least, the communication between the battery and the aircraft was good and you got a warning instead of falling off the sky when the app shows still 25% charge! I suspect this is the (only?) advantage of the original dji batteries, otherwise the cells are the same.
The aftermarket batteries use the same battery management chipset as DJI OEM battery suppliers. Any differences are more likely to be in the LiPO cells.

The aftermarket batteries use the same battery management chipset as DJI OEM battery suppliers. Any differences are more likely to be in the LiPO cells.
Chipset (hardware) yes, but it also comes with a firmware I guess. And of course you're right, depends on the manufacturer, which LiPo cell they choose. It's a pig in a poke, whether the 80-100$ aftermarket battery will be able to deliver the same amount of cycles, flight time, not to mention don't deplete without warning from 20%.

Chipset (hardware) yes, but it also comes with a firmware I guess. And of course you're right, depends on the manufacturer, which LiPo cell they choose. It's a pig in a poke, whether the 80-100$ aftermarket battery will be able to deliver the same amount of cycles, flight time, not to mention don't deplete without warning from 20%.
That’s the point. They might be better than DJI branded- thing is there is no way of knowing. I’m not with you in the dropping from 20% without warning scenario however. The impedance track and fuel gauging algorithms aren’t user definable in the firmware flash- cell parameters and LVC with a few other minor parameters are but no user definable settings that might cause a hugely inmacurate available capacity value. Setting LVC too high could initiate an unexpected shutdown- DJI had that issue in earlier firmware.

I returned the battery and they were also very surprised on the manufacturing date.

The standard battery didn't include a manufacturing date on the box. The retailer gave me a replacement (high capacity for only a few euro's more) and that box has a manufacturing month printed on the outside (2018/07). That's better!

Now I only have to charge it and see what it does. Ofcourse I tried it once in the Phantom, it turned on without errors. Only the charge was 28% so first fully charge it at home before I really trust it.

how many aftermarket battery brands are you seeing, looks like they are nearly all power extra from what I'm seeing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadabyanza24