Orlando Wants to Limit Your Drone Rights

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The Orlando City Council and Mayor Buddy Dyer want to make it tough for drone enthusiasts to be able to fly their drones in the city. The policy – if passed – would require drone users to get special permits, extra insurance and limit where drones can fly. Even more outrageous: breaking the rule empowers Orlando police officers to issue fines up to $400, make arrests and seize your drone as contraband.

The Orlando city government doesn’t have the authority to regulate national airspace – that’s the FAA’s role. Furthermore, the FAA already prohibits drones from flying over schools, stadiums and other public spaces and has a process in place for dealing with violations.

Creating confusing, tech-specific laws penalize early adopters and make it difficult for drone users to follow the rules. Join us in urging the Orlando City Council and Mayor Dyer to stop this bad drone policy.

SOURCE: CTA - Drones Policy

Yeah...KK....Um...Orlando CALIFORNIA, right. Sounds like something from my home state the wackiest state in the nation, FloriDuh.

Derp! I have no clue how I managed to screw that one up

Either way goofy states making goofy laws

Derp! I have no clue how I managed to screw that one up

Either way goofy states making goofy laws
It happens. It is propellar brain lock. :) We see it a lot here. The more props you have spinning around in you head, the more severe your symptoms. Fortunately it is tempor -334^W@!!@#mvbhpawk..oh shoot, I'm having one myselffz8(*70>.i

Someone needs to go buy the mayor and the council members, and their kids too, a drone and then see what he thinks of his idea once he takes them away from them or the cops fine him for flying it.

Furthermore, the FAA already prohibits drones from flying over schools, stadiums and other public spaces and has a process in place for dealing with violations.

Where does it say FAA prohibits flights over schools?

Reactions: xpc3
I've been watching the developments of these regulations. In 3 days, it goes to another vote:

Source: Orlando OKs drone regulations

Per this quote in the article: "The rules would require a $20 permit per event, and those who fail to comply could face fines of between $200 and $400."

So they propose to charge you $20 each time you fly your drone? Unsure of what they mean by "Event" as it seems they are creating a gray area law which could be questionably interpreted.

I think the city of Phoenix, AZ has the best policy I've seen with regards to drones in their parks:
Phoenix Online Codes and which parks allowed:
Parks and Recreation Radio-Controlled Aircraft in Phoenix Parks

Arizona Gov. Ducey signs statewide rules on drones And notice this comment by the governor in the link regarding drones: "Cities with more than one park must allow their use in at least one."

I need to go have a chat with my local supervisor as it's getting to be a bit too restrictive here and I'd like to see a place for FPV racers to have fun at too.

Everything stated in that video is already against federal law

IE schools, stadiums, crowds ETC
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic