Operating in Class D Airspace???

Reaction score
I need to do a roof inspection in Class D airspace, so I will only be up a short time at an altitude of about 40-50'. With that said, I tried to do it yesterday, and for a while my drone would NOT connect with the controller, then after multiple tries it connected for about 20 minutes, and then would not connect again.
Can anyone share with me why it works sometimes and not others?? I am not going to make a habit of flying in restricted airspace, but for a small job like this, I would like to be able to do it safely, and get it done quickly, without have to try to get things to connect for such a long time....!
PS. I did get permission from the airport to fly!!

Not sure what's up with the disconnect issue, but when you are in restricted airspace you should get a pop up on your screen saying that you are in restricted area or NFZ. You need to gain permission,. I had this happen this last weekend in an area (class G air space) I have been flying in for a year with no previous problem, only a warning about the power plant located about 1.5 miles away. I had to unlock the permission request to be able to get my bird fired up. That is one reason to have a data phone/tablet available to be a hot spot so you can do request in restricted air space and NFZ's. The LAANC system has some catching up or even local ATC system need to upgrade to handle the LAANC system. It's very frustrating to get LAANC clearance and the DJI GEOFENCING still won't let you fly.

Reactions: chascoadmin
Thanks, it makes me wonder if my iphone 6 is getting to old as well. In any event your info is helpful, but still wondering why it wont connect.???? As soon as I take the drone to an area of open airspace, it connects right away.
Possibly the firmware in my old P3S???
Still wondering....???

Reactions: grandpap4p
Thanks, it makes me wonder if my iphone 6 is getting to old as well. In any event your info is helpful, but still wondering why it wont connect.???? As soon as I take the drone to an area of open airspace, it connects right away.
Possibly the firmware in my old P3S???
Still wondering....???
Several different points to address here:
  • Whenever posting an issue it is always helpful to provide as many details as possible. At the very least, you should let us know what drone you are using. In your second post you did say it is a P3S, and that does make a difference...see below.
  • A controller connecting to a drone should have nothing to do with the airspace above and around you. Whether it is controlled airspace or not, the controller should always connect to the drone. If it does not, then you have some other issue.
  • In your second post you said that your iPhone 6 may be getting old. That also has nothing to do with the controller connecting to the drone. So that brings up the bigger question of exactly what your issue was. Was the controller not connecting to the drone or was your phone not connecting to the controller?
  • When flying in controlled airspace it is always best to be prepared in advance; way before you go out to the site. If the airport is covered by LAANC then get your LAANC authorization in advance online. Print out the authorization and have it with you. Then also go to the DJI site and download the NFZ unlock file to the drone in advance. That assures you that you are cleared to fly there and that the drone won't give you any issues on-site.
    You said that you got permission from the airport to fly, but that is not how it works under current FAA regulations. If the airport is covered by LAANC, you must obtain authorization through LAANC.
  • As to the connection issue, since this is a P3S I can only postulate that there is some WiFi interference in the area of the airport where you were attempting to fly. The P3S uses WiFi for the connection from the controller to the drone and from the phone to the controller, so you have the potential for either or both of those being disrupted by strong WiFi signals in the vicinity. It would also explain the intermittent nature of the problem.
  • Finally since this is obviously not a recreational endeavor, I assume you have your Part 107 license? That is mandatory as well.

First off WELCOME to the forum.

It sounds like it might be a problem with a connect/cable. What aircraft, tablet etc are you using? Was it merely losing video feed or could you not even control the aircraft at all?

For the record, no matter how HIGH/LONG you intend to fly it's a Federal Regulation that you get an official Authorization to fly in "Controlled" airspace. You'll want something in writing "just in case".

Thanks for your reply. Someone else gave me a very thorough explanation about it probably being some kind of strong wifi interference in my area that was keeping the controller from connecting to the drone.
Since it works perfectly in other areas, i have concluded that was, and is the problem.
They also explained that even when you are in any type of controlled airspace, the two should always connect, but warnings will pop up.
So, at least i feel like my question has been answered, and while radio frequency interference seems to be a problem at this location, there does not seem to be any problem with the drone or the controller.
Thanks for everyones input!!!!

Reactions: BigAl07
Several different points to address here:
  • Whenever posting an issue it is always helpful to provide as many details as possible. At the very least, you should let us know what drone you are using. In your second post you did say it is a P3S, and that does make a difference...see below.
  • A controller connecting to a drone should have nothing to do with the airspace above and around you. Whether it is controlled airspace or not, the controller should always connect to the drone. If it does not, then you have some other issue.
  • In your second post you said that your iPhone 6 may be getting old. That also has nothing to do with the controller connecting to the drone. So that brings up the bigger question of exactly what your issue was. Was the controller not connecting to the drone or was your phone not connecting to the controller?
  • When flying in controlled airspace it is always best to be prepared in advance; way before you go out to the site. If the airport is covered by LAANC then get your LAANC authorization in advance online. Print out the authorization and have it with you. Then also go to the DJI site and download the NFZ unlock file to the drone in advance. That assures you that you are cleared to fly there and that the drone won't give you any issues on-site.
    You said that you got permission from the airport to fly, but that is not how it works under current FAA regulations. If the airport is covered by LAANC, you must obtain authorization through LAANC.
  • As to the connection issue, since this is a P3S I can only postulate that there is some WiFi interference in the area of the airport where you were attempting to fly. The P3S uses WiFi for the connection from the controller to the drone and from the phone to the controller, so you have the potential for either or both of those being disrupted by strong WiFi signals in the vicinity. It would also explain the intermittent nature of the problem.
  • Finally since this is obviously not a recreational endeavor, I assume you have your Part 107 license? That is mandatory as well.
Great answer!! Thank you, and based upon the fact that the drone works perfectly in other locations, I have concluded that you are correct about the strong wifi interference. So, hopefully this has only been an issue in this location and I wont have to worry about it again, unless I get into some other strong wifi interference area there as well. Thanks again for your insights!!

Reactions: BigAl07
post #4 says: 'Finally since this is obviously not a recreational endeavor, I assume you have your Part 107 license? That is mandatory as well.'

Who says that this is not recreational flight? One can make an inspection of its own roof. What has this to do with p.107?

post #4 says: 'Finally since this is obviously not a recreational endeavor, I assume you have your Part 107 license? That is mandatory as well.'

Who says that this is not recreational flight? One can make an inspection of its own roof. What has this to do with p.107?
From what the OP said, it does not seem like he is doing an inspection of his own roof. At no point did he say it is his own roof. He also said that "this has only been an issue in this location and I wont have to worry about it again ". If it was his own roof, I would think he would have problems there all the time. He also says " I am not going to make a habit of flying in restricted airspace, but for a small job like this, ", again leading one to believe that if it was his own roof, he would be flying in that are more often. The use of the words "small job" also indicate non recreational flight.

Although not specifically stated by the OP, all indications are that this is not his own roof. Furthermore, even if it was his own roof and he were inspecting it for the purposes of estimating repairs or resurfacing (with work being done by someone else), it would still be considered within the realm of Part 107 since it is not a strictly recreational flight.

Reactions: Rick218

You indicated having to do a small job in a restricted place... one would logically assume it was not personal. Had you stated “I live in a restricted area and want to inspect my roof” would have made it clearer... JMHO

Yes probably you're right but we don't know exactly. I put just theoretical question.
And the last statement from PhantomPhandom is like a joke. Is this really your opinion?

Great answer!! Thank you, and based upon the fact that the drone works perfectly in other locations, I have concluded that you are correct about the strong WiFi interference. So, hopefully this has only been an issue in this location and I wont have to worry about it again, unless I get into some other strong WiFi interference area there as well. Thanks again for your insights!!
What are you using for flight? Tried in other flight software, DJI Go?

Are you getting no camera view or it just won't takeoff? Definitely could be WiFi interference. You should find another similar zone and see if you get the same behaviour.

Yes probably you're right but we don't know exactly. I put just theoretical question.
And the last statement from PhantomPhandom is like a joke. Is this really your opinion?

You say you made a theoretical question but all indications point to it not being his own roof.

Why is it like a joke? It is not my opinion. Those are the FAA regulations. If the intent of a flight is not for purely recreational purposes then it must be flown under Part 107 regulations.

Reactions: chascoadmin
If you ever need any hairs split, come see some of these fine individuals. Thank God for moderators and administrators........PEACE

Ok ok, sorry for not hiring a lawyer to write my post. Yes, it was a small job i gave myself to do my own roof.
I’ll try to be more careful writing my next question, if i ever do one again. Mea Culpa.

• Haha
Reactions: Recoveryone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31