Only get shutter speed down to 1/25

Reaction score
I am trying to get the shutter speed to 4 to 8 seconds but have never gotten lower than 1/25. I see everyone getting theirs to the seconds side. What could I be doing wrong?

I am trying to get the shutter speed to 4 to 8 seconds but have never gotten lower than 1/25. I see everyone getting theirs to the seconds side. What could I be doing wrong?
Are you in a dark situation or daylight?
Perhaps you have your camera trying to give a proper exposure value but conditions aren't dark enough for such slow speeds.
Launch at night or test in a dim room and the camera should go to slow speeds.

In camera mode, make sure you select manual mode to select the shutter speed.
7c8d31b94c03a933af8cab1a4f632a4c.jpg

Last edited:
That's what it was fellas I was in video mode. I definitely know to have it in manual. I am only a lil slow not THAT slow to have it in Auto. Thanks for waking me up.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
What's wrong with using auto exposure?
I would say so you can maximize your chance for best photograph by choosing best aperture for this lens and sensor combination. Auto will get you really close especially in daylight. Some images need to be exposed a little to the dark side to hold detail in some skies. Then bring up the darker foreground and objects later in post. But I like choosing an exact range of apertures with this lens and sensor. As F4- F5.6 seem to be prime.Then I just read Histogram to set shutter and done. But as it gets darker, I would def choose manual settings to choose best ISO, and to pick best shutter speed for amount of wind you have. Some exposures at night may be 1-3 seconds. So if your shots are all pretty close in tone and density you could get by with Auto no problem for stills. But for a shot with more contrast in it you'll prob want to use Manual Mode.

With my stills cameras, Nikon D800E's and D7200, I usually shoot in "A" mode which is an automatic exposure mode, but for video I always shoot in manual exposure mode. With video the scene and exposure changes as you fly and I want control of the exposure because the CPU isn't as knowledgeable as I am -- most of the time. So, with the P4P I usually have the aperture set at f/5.6 though that can change depending on the scene. My sensitivity is set to ISO100 most of the time, though that also can change particularly late in the day when light levels are changing quickly. And I then control exposure by varying the shutter speed between, usually, 1/320 and 1/2500. My other settings tend to be: 4K30, -1/0/-1, D-Cinelike, MP4, and white balance set about 5600K to 6000K.

Brian

With my stills cameras, Nikon D800E's and D7200, I usually shoot in "A" mode which is an automatic exposure mode, but for video I always shoot in manual exposure mode. With video the scene and exposure changes as you fly and I want control of the exposure because the CPU isn't as knowledgeable as I am -- most of the time. So, with the P4P I usually have the aperture set at f/5.6 though that can change depending on the scene. My sensitivity is set to ISO100 most of the time, though that also can change particularly late in the day when light levels are changing quickly. And I then control exposure by varying the shutter speed between, usually, 1/320 and 1/2500. My other settings tend to be: 4K30, -1/0/-1, D-Cinelike, MP4, and white balance set about 5600K to 6000K.

Brian
With this camera I really like to set it all manually no matter if its stills or video for me Brian. This camera needs to stay at really low ISO especially for stills. Plus the lens shines at F4- 5.6 or so. So it's like a puzzle to me. Me being a photog for so long makes me try to maximize the IQ as much as possible with every scenario of light. lol Now video is not as critical with higher ISO's imo. I shoot up to 1600 and maybe even 3200 on some night stuff at times. But always trying to stay as close as I can to double frame rate with shutter speed.

With this camera I really like to set it all manually no matter if its stills or video for me Brian. This camera needs to stay at really low ISO especially for stills. Plus the lens shines at F4- 5.6 or so. So it's like a puzzle to me. Me being a photog for so long makes me try to maximize the IQ as much as possible with every scenario of light. lol Now video is not as critical with higher ISO's imo. I shoot up to 1600 and maybe even 3200 on some night stuff at times. But always trying to stay as close as I can to double frame rate with shutter speed.

I must confess that I have not shot many stills with the P4P though I often mean to. With my stills cameras I generally shoot in aperture priority mode and usually around f/6.3-f/8 and ISO100. If I need to change exposure I usually use exposure compensation after chimping the first shot. When I do astro photos I'm 100% manual.

I do need to shoot some stills with the P4P.

I have to say I've been drooling over the new Nikon D850, but I think I'll wait to see if they produce a comparable mirrorless FF camera.

Brian

With my stills cameras, Nikon D800E's and D7200, I usually shoot in "A" mode which is an automatic exposure mode
Aperture priority auto is very good for stills on the P4 pro as well with the ability to use spot metering or exposure over-ride as appropriate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub