One more newbie

Reaction score
Hello all..
Great site!
I'm new to the Drone environment and Drone flight. My first just purchased a Phantom 4 Pro Plus.. I've been spending hours on the simulator and have a few questions for the pilots out there.
When I fly the bird down range with right stick forward (no left stick) the bird flies in a straight path (or presumably in a straight path), however, when I attempt to return apparently the drone had (or has) rotated slightly and now forward stick is moving the drone toward me and back stick moves away, just opposite of the initial flight down range, I lost the drone a few times and needed the return home function. Is this normal flight behavior for the drone? No left stick, however the drone rotates slightly when sent down range. Does the Drone always follow or fly in reference to camera position(s). I attempt to keep the camera facing away from me, but when its out of site I have to relay on the positioning arrow to return.
My apologies, hope this make some sense..

That is correct, left stick also controls ( Rotation), so if you are flying forward, or back, any deviation of the left stick either to the right or left will rotate the aircraft. And also yes, flying away from you with the camera facing away from you will reverse if you turn the aircraft around 180 degrees. That's the way it works.

Hello all..
Great site!
I'm new to the Drone environment and Drone flight. My first just purchased a Phantom 4 Pro Plus.. I've been spending hours on the simulator and have a few questions for the pilots out there.
When I fly the bird down range with right stick forward (no left stick) the bird flies in a straight path (or presumably in a straight path), however, when I attempt to return apparently the drone had (or has) rotated slightly and now forward stick is moving the drone toward me and back stick moves away, just opposite of the initial flight down range, I lost the drone a few times and needed the return home function. Is this normal flight behavior for the drone? No left stick, however the drone rotates slightly when sent down range. Does the Drone always follow or fly in reference to camera position(s). I attempt to keep the camera facing away from me, but when its out of site I have to relay on the positioning arrow to return.
My apologies, hope this make some sense..
Welcome. You've come to the right place for information on your Phantom 4 pro plus. Are you sure you haven't moved the left stick slightly during your outbound flight?
The reactions to the right stick are quite normal. I suggest you visit Utube and look at the many videos about first flights with the Phantom. You'll find after some practice flying with the aircraft facing different directions becomes second nature but initially it can be confusing. Also, it is very important to read the manual thoughly several times and then practice, practice.
Good luck!

Hi pbxcomm!
I'm new here as well. To clarify, when you are flying back toward yourself have you made a 180 deg. turn, or are you returning by flying backwards by just using back stick on the transmitter?

If you are going quite a ways out and then just pulling back on the stick I'm sure it won't be perfectly lined up still to come exactly back at you. Wind could have slightly turned it or you could have accidentally hit left stick some and yawed it off a little bit. But It's a great thing to use the Red Arrow to get back right at you. You can turn it back toward you or you can fly it backwards if you want as well. So your Red Arrow would then be pointing away from the Green line then. But yes, the camera stays pointed toward the front at all times. It moves a tad to grease the video when your turning your bird however.

Thanks to all for your replies!!! Very helpful..
No left stick whatsoever and never touched it.. I understand now, I had wind turned up and wind direction changed to east/southeast and completely forgot these settings at my third flight.

A few other questions.. My Phantom Pro Plus came with 2 black antennas as opposed to typically what I see are white. Are these OEM antennas? Also when I go to Stick Mode, mode 2 is checked by default, however I cannot calibrate left stick and right stick no response to tap or drag and drop..

Thanks again..

You can also practice using Home Lock.
With Home Lock, your phantom, regardless of yaw, will always return to the home point when you pull back with the right stick.

Quote from the manual, page 65:

"Home Lock Pull the pitch stick backward to move the aircraft toward its recorded Home Point."

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks again for the reply..
I left the house and ran to a near baseball field for the first flight. Turns out it was more amazing that I ever thought it would be. In actuality, the simulator presents a more difficult challenge than real flight, so I was pleasantly surprised. I had to quit the flight early due to kids coming by from another field to watch. I let them approach about 50 yards away and watch. Not much of a show because its a first flight, but the kids loved it.
What an truly amazing aircraft!
So, thanks again for the tips, I did begin flight with home lock and that helped me become comfortable with the bird and my surroundings. BIG FUN!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves