Onboard smoke generator device to mark landing location in fly away?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently from jlo 's post I learnt getterback is a good way to locate your sunk quadcopter or else. That is a very smart idea and a fairly small load to add. I placed an order right away.

That triggered me to think:

1. If the getterback can put some dye into the package maybe it is even better to help locate the sunk quadcopter?

2. How about a smoke marker to help locate fly away quadcopter on land? People often complained can't get a visual lock of the estimated crash site (with help of DJI app it could give you an estimated coordinates). Of course there are complexities on how long, how soon, how big, how heavy etc etc. but does anyone know there is such a product on the market? Or someone care to build? It would be a great accessory everyone would love to have.

Sounds like a good idea until you consider, "where there's smoke - there's fire".

We like our forests and grasslands here in Wyoming. :)

Reactions: dirkclod
There are non-pyrotechnic smoke generators, but they tend to be heavier and less effective than the pyro ones.

Anyway, adding extra weight and complexity to help in a situation that is highly unlikely to occur doesn't seem worthwhile. Adding a smoke generator would be more likely to cause problems (for example, if it is inadvertently set off) than to help you find a lost quadcopter.

Yeah, it has to be light weight and efficient... And not to cause a fire or even excessive heat, plus don't dye the copter itself LOL. are we certain that the technology is not there yet? What a pity... Seems not easy at least. Maybe a non-electronic sound generator/alarm that can be triggered by some method/logic?

I read about so many fly aways, so don't agree it is non-necessary though. Maybe not in your usual places but in unfamiliar areas and with unknown magnetic abnormalities... Matter of time.

Last edited:
Interesting idea but I think it's probably too heavy and complicated for a P3 size machine. Maybe once we're all flying 30 lb. octacopters it might become more practical.

Right now, your best bet to locate a lost bird is Flytrex Live 3G but I wish they would add an audio alarm to it --- something like 90dB so you can hear it from 150 yards away. Flytrex Live is not going to help you much if your bird is nestled deep in high weeds or 80 ft. up in a tree.

Easy.
Just setup a solenoid on the battery terminal. Short them out and you'll get a LIPO smoke show.
Be quick as a burnt/blackish phantom is harder to spot in the bushes.

Along with smoke, maybe we could add a bag full of flour to show the splat area...:D

Well, this is fun. I can't decide which one of you to quote, so I wont quote anyone... yet.

To the OP, and since your the new guy, that means "Original Poster" = the one who started the thread. It really is a good idea, IF, AND ONLY IF the smoke can be generated without fire. Please don't think I am "po poing" your idea. I just don't want to crash at the end of August and start a "Range Fire" that doesn't go out till it reaches Kansas.

I disagree Jadebox. Do you know anyone with a P2V+. They fall out of the sky an fly away regularly. The number of reports have dropped off drastically recently. Probably because folks have parked them and are now flying the P3. If I can put FPV with OSD on a Phantom for under 30 grams, I think someone can figure out how to make a device which will fart out pink smoke without weighing too much. :p

Ok, I can't use anything which relies upon a Cell Phone Signal to find my bird. And since this is my post, not my thread... just my post, it's all about me and my needs. Don't you's agree?
So, no Flytrex, no Getterback, and for crying out loud... NOT Mako79's idea... :eek:.

If not smoke, how about a nice strong scent, like SKUNK, or Channel No 5? :D
Me having fun now. Hope I've thrown some gas on the fire. :p

Well, this is fun. I can't decide which one of you to quote, so I wont quote anyone... yet.

To the OP, and since your the new guy, that means "Original Poster" = the one who started the thread. It really is a good idea, IF, AND ONLY IF the smoke can be generated without fire. Please don't think I am "po poing" your idea. I just don't want to crash at the end of August and start a "Range Fire" that doesn't go out till it reaches Kansas.

I disagree Jadebox. Do you know anyone with a P2V+. They fall out of the sky an fly away regularly. The number of reports have dropped off drastically recently. Probably because folks have parked them and are now flying the P3. If I can put FPV with OSD on a Phantom for under 30 grams, I think someone can figure out how to make a device which will fart out pink smoke without weighing too much. :p

Ok, I can't use anything which relies upon a Cell Phone Signal to find my bird. And since this is my post, not my thread... just my post, it's all about me and my needs. Don't you's agree?
So, no Flytrex, no Getterback, and for crying out loud... NOT Mako79's idea... :eek:.

If not smoke, how about a nice strong scent, like SKUNK, or Channel No 5? :D
Me having fun now. Hope I've thrown some gas on the fire. :p
Well if ya ain't got no water for the getterback and no cell service ya better be careful with the gas or Kansas might get pissed ! :p
Got to many skunks here for that to work and as far as Channel No 5 Hmmmmm :cool:

Reactions: IflyinWY
Well if ya ain't got no water for the getterback and no cell service ya better be careful with the gas or Kansas might get pissed ! :p
Got to many skunks here for that to work and as far as Channel No 5 Hmmmmm :cool:

No no no, Dirk you must have missed the part about this being "all about me". :rolleyes:

We don't have many skunks here, and **** it we don't have much of that Parfume stuff neither... either would work here. :D

No no no, Dirk you must have missed the part about this being "all about me". :rolleyes:

We don't have many skunks here, and **** it we don't have much of that Parfume stuff neither... either would work here. :D
Oh..Sorry
running jack.gif

Thanks IflyinWY. Yeah, you got me thinking what OP is for a sec :)

With the scent, dogs might come to help. LOL. not a bad idea at all actually. Easier than smoke. Any other fellow has other creative ideas? I love the fun :)

Thanks IflyinWY. Yeah, you got me thinking what OP is for a sec :)

With the scent, dogs might come to help. LOL. not a bad idea at all actually. Easier than smoke. Any other fellow has other creative ideas? I love the fun :)
images4HKE7OJ0.jpg
..Love da fun do ya ? Check out OT then :D

Reactions: IflyinWY

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31