Onboard smoke generator device to mark landing location in fly away?

Reactions: dirkclod
Geez, you are good man WYer. Saves me another 3 hours of my life. LOL

Now head over to OT and start wasting it, laughing hysterically... :rolleyes:

Reactions: dirkclod
My vote would be for some very loud sound AND bright flashing lights. If my P3 goes down I'm hunting for it till I find it! My thought is both items powered by a single power source separate from the Phantom battery. And both should last for many hours.

So what would the trigger be? Iv'e seen and heard to many stories of the Phantom battery falling out on a crash. So we cant count on using the transmitter/controller to trigger something after a crash. And the Phantom lights would also go dark. What ever it is it would have to trigger itself. Maybe a timer of some sort. If you don't turn off the timer after 45 minutes it goes off.

I keep thinking about a personal "siren" for lack of a better word, that I have. It's one of those things you might use on your hotel room door. It has a cord attached to it that pulling the cord pulls a pin that makes the electrical contact. This one has a strobe light and the siren. And this siren will make your ears bleed it's so loud.
Anyway just throwing out some thoughts.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Keep thinking out loud. I'm liking your thoughts.
Separate battery is a must. Ears bleed... yea, but ****, what if it's in the back seat of your car and you're doing 40 mph on I5 in LA traffic? Not that I would care at this point in time, just saying. The light, would certainly be a must, probably 2 of them, in case it's upside down, or whatever.

What else you got? :D

I new there was something like this. Have not googled it for the price yet. I have seen others on the forum that use something like this.

I new there was something like this. Have not googled it for the price yet. I have seen others on the forum that use something like this.
I was actually researching which true GPS tracker is best price/performance (not just AGPS which relies on GSM base stations). it is a good solution in a GSM covered area, GPS gives very accurate location vs AGPS alone can't provide (it would be a couple hundred meters radius).

and there are waterproof models of this GPS tracker as well, I am still researching.

and before any device can be deployed, I am think I should coat the phantom with highly reflective decals or sticker as much as possible... an otherwise non visible small object would be quickly announcing its location with sunshine or flashlights, don't you think?

active method is great, but passive method shouldn't be ignored either, and they are so inexpensive.

by the way, got my getterback in the mail, looks very nice, light :)

Last edited:
Reactions: IflyinWY
and before any device can be deployed, I am think I should coat the phantom with highly reflective decals or sticker as much as possible... an otherwise non visible small object would be quickly announcing its location with sunshine or flashlights, don't you think?

active method is great, but passive method shouldn't be ignored either, and they are so inexpensive.

I agree, active and passive should both be utilized for maximum benefit. I like the reflector idea.

FYI, I will focus my attention on products which DO NOT require "Cell Coverage". I do a great deal of flying over mountainous terrain, very far from civilization as we know it.

Here's what I like so far, smoke without fire, flashing lights, loud noises, and reflective tape.

Impact followed by a delay could be used for a trigger. I don't know what you would use for the impact sensor though. It would really suck if you crash on your neighbors roof though. Their all going to laugh at you. :eek:

Reactions: Moonlight
Just reading the thread reminded me how I found my digital watch once, I had the alarm set for 7:00am and had to backtrack at 7 for a week until I heard it. A loud siren with strobe on a timer that fires for 5 minutes daily at a set time would maximise battery life.

We often use noise makers, like the "personal alarms" you can get for a few bucks, in our rockets. But, we have an easy way to activate them when the recovery system deploys. Most are activated by a pull pin. We just connect the alarm and the pin to separate places on the shock cord, so the pin is pulled when the cord is stretched.

For a quadcopter, you would need some way to remotely trigger it ... or put it on a timer that you start before each flight.

I think even that is overkill, though. A "Reward" sticker is much easier to apply and probably more likely to help in the unlikely case of a lost quadcopter.

-- Roger

Reactions: RichWest

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl