Old veteran helicopter pilot needs help - Asheville, NC area

Reaction score
Dear friends,
I am a Vietnam veteran on VA disability who flew Dust Off (helicopter ambulance) in 'Nam. I have been interested in drones for some time, and bought a DJI Phantom 4 Pro back in Fall of 2015. Unfortunately, events have unfolded such that I have yet to fly that drone!

The first issue is the throttle "collective" set up on a drone. I had complications trying to fly simulated Huey on MS Flight Simulator because the throttle is reverse of the collective in a full size helicopter. So I kept crashing the sim chopper. I did not want to do That on my new drone!

That and complications trying to update the DJI, Nexus pad problems, along with issues of recovering from two kinds of cancer due to agent Orange exposure. ..
... well, I just have not had that DJI in the air.

I have been looking for drone flight simulator apps, plus recently got a little helicopter to learn on, since it has the remote little backward throttle/ collective. Now, my strength is back and I'm in full remission from both cancers. I just can't afford to wreck an expensive drone due to my lack of experience, so it's still in the box after over two years!

I have been wondering if I could get some experienced help getting the DJI updated and in the air. I have no idea how it would perform without the updates. Is there anybody in your organization who could help an old vet pilot get his drone flying? I would sure appreciate it!

I live in Vale, NC, about 90 miles away, but I often come up to Asheville to the VA hospital, plus I was participating in the Team River Runner program for veterans, there, so travel would not be an issue for me.

Thank you for any advice or help you can offer. I just joined the Phantom Pilots Club.

Regards,
Granville Angell

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

The Go App will allow you to change the stick action.

Reactions: Granville Angell
Dear friends,
I am a Vietnam veteran on VA disability who flew Dust Off (helicopter ambulance) in 'Nam. I have been interested in drones for some time, and bought a DJI Phantom 4 Pro back in Fall of 2015. Unfortunately, events have unfolded such that I have yet to fly that drone!

The first issue is the throttle "collective" set up on a drone. I had complications trying to fly simulated Huey on MS Flight Simulator because the throttle is reverse of the collective in a full size helicopter. So I kept crashing the sim chopper. I did not want to do That on my new drone!

That and complications trying to update the DJI, Nexus pad problems, along with issues of recovering from two kinds of cancer due to agent Orange exposure. ..
... well, I just have not had that DJI in the air.

I have been looking for drone flight simulator apps, plus recently got a little helicopter to learn on, since it has the remote little backward throttle/ collective. Now, my strength is back and I'm in full remission from both cancers. I just can't afford to wreck an expensive drone due to my lack of experience, so it's still in the box after over two years!

I have been wondering if I could get some experienced help getting the DJI updated and in the air. I have no idea how it would perform without the updates. Is there anybody in your organization who could help an old vet pilot get his drone flying? I would sure appreciate it!

I live in Vale, NC, about 90 miles away, but I often come up to Asheville to the VA hospital, plus I was participating in the Team River Runner program for veterans, there, so travel would not be an issue for me.

Thank you for any advice or help you can offer. I just joined the Phantom Pilots Club.

Regards,
Granville Angell
Granville, I only wished I lived near you I would be there in a flash. We're all here to help one another.

I fly a P3 Standard and as such the app is different so I don't know if you have the simulator that I have. But there is a Phantom simulator in the Go app for Phantom 3 and earlier. Hopefully someone who uses the next generation of DJI GO for Phantom 4 will know if and how to access the simulator. I found it extremely helpful in understanding the control sticks

Reactions: Shoemaker
Welcome to the forum from Mesa Arizona. The app has the ability to change what the sticks do. That might help. I don't know if I'd worry about updating until you get the hang of it. Look into using the simulator in the go app. The phantom just hovers unless you tell it to do something so don't be too worried, just take it slow.

Reactions: Granville Angell
Welcome to the forum from Mesa Arizona. The app has the ability to change what the sticks do. That might help. I don't know if I'd worry about updating until you get the hang of it. Look into using the simulator in the go app. The phantom just hovers unless you tell it to do something so don't be too worried, just take it slow.
Thanks Nightwolf. I am concerned that my tablet is so out of date also. Wil look into it.

Thanks Nightwolf. I am concerned that my tablet is so out of date also. Wil look into it.
I sent you a private message.....look for the link above as it looks like a envelope ! (Another Vietnam Vet of a Helicopter unit )

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Welcome to PhantomPilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Good morning and WELCOME to the forum.

@Granville Angell THANK YOU For your service!!

I live just West of Asheville (Haywood County) and I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. I'll PM you my contact information in just a moment. Please don't hesitate to drop me a note.

Allen

Welcome to the forum , as you can see there are many, including myself, whom are willing to help. I too am ex military helicopter - opposite part of the world though [emoji6] best regards & good luck.

Reactions: BigAl07
By the way in a MS Flight Sim....that i also fly....the "Joy Stick" controls can be made to do any thing you want.....Including a reversal of the commands..the joy stick is very easy to customize !

Welcome to PhantomPilots from Dayton Ohio! Thank you for your service! Fly safe and have fun!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl