Old Fart Fliers.

C:\

That used to mean your computer booted successfully.

Bought a PC XT on the employee discount. Man, did I get boned by today's standards.

I did get 64k of memory and a 10MB hard drive though.

Ok. If you built one of these in 6th grade you really are an old fart geek.
image.jpg

Reactions: louforgiveno
OMG. Forgot to mention that I still have my slide rules left over from engineering school, and the very first computer I worked on was an IBM 1620 needing punch card input with programming in Fortran II. Damned computer probably cost WPI a million or more, and didn't do one one-hundredth as much as the most minor chip in the P3.

I remember as a kid using these old things to look at the older cards at the library.

pedstereo.jpg

And who remembers these?!

view-master.jpg

When my grandmother died just before her 100th birthday, we all sat around talking about the fact that she had seen; man first leave the ground in flight; man leave the earth into space; animal and man powered transport become powered; and whilst she may have missed seeing phones invented, she did see them become widespread, and so we debated what would WE see in our lives. All we will see is these things get better - faster planes (quadcopters invented) etc, but no improvement is the same as seeing man fly for the first time. We decided we'd probably see medical advances as the biggest changes in our lives.
Instead, medicine has crawled along, there's still not much that's all that different, but computers, phones, and GPS all combining into a unit nearly everyone carries with them every day, was quite a surprise. Using them to get live video feed from a computer controlled piss-easy-to-fly multirotor aircraft even more amazing.

Oh, you young farts. Just got my P3P, replacing my P2V, and I clock in at 77.

Rats! Didn't even get to post and surpassed already! I'll be 71 in September. Just got started with remote control planes (electric) last year and then the "quad bug" bit.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl