Official P3 Range Leaderboard

how are you orienting the leg antenna mods? When you turned, you got signal back pretty good ..

View attachment 79990

Maybe its orientation? See dirtybums posts on that antenna mod thread, he changed the orientation a bit and i think it helped.

also, same location what distance do you get boosted? i see this was unboosted.

Ok i will check antenna mod thread when i reading.

My brid antenna mod front from new 2 x Parts Inspire RC Antenna (B) and Back brid old with 2 x stock RC Antenna. I will check what see my old 2 RC Antenna if wire clean or bad.

Terminator Boosted (brid stock Antenna) at 10,000m No Signal, Strong brid stock Antenna.
MaxxRange Unboosted (bird Antenna Mod) at 8,000m Signal Lost.

To clarify, if you go that far, autolanding does not occur just by being that far out. Autolanding only happens when you lose signal and RTH kicks in, or you manually invoke RTH after you've passed 65500 feet. In Pablo's case, he had better signal than I did and never lost connection, so he was able to make his turn and fly back okay. Mine, i lost signal and rth kicked in, which (at that distance) doesn't actually fly back but does auto landing. I remember watching a flight Pablo streamed on FB where he was like 75k out and he had good signal, hit his distance and then pressed RTH to come back and it tried to auotland on him .. he had to cancel RTH and fly back manually.

No hack required, just big antennas, big batteries .. and either being really ballsy, or kinda dumb :)

Still this is concerning. If I ever get to that distance definitely good to know but can you imagine someone flying out over water and not knowing about this and losing connection past 65,500ft? I don't see a solution if you never regain connection? It's going to land. For this reason I am not sure I'll ever attempt over 65,000ft.

Got a couple aftermarket P3 batteries delivered today (PowerExtra). I will not be running them as the main batteries in the P3's. But I was curious and put them in as the main battery in a P3A (latest firmware all around) and it powered it up and armed the motors without issue. I had seen other videos and comments about people reporting they would power up the bird and arm the motors only to get a "Non-OEM" battery message in the GO app and the P3 would power back down.

Also to note they are 10-12 grams heavier than DJi OEM batteries, the whole battery, not taken apart.

View attachment 79859 Is there a Leader board for just the P3S ? Being the tech is completely different than the other P3's. I'm sure "Dirtybum" has that record.
Here's mine from today, a personal record for me. With a battery mod, antenna mod (DBS w/ 3 amps), birdside antenna mod as well. 7084 meters (23241 feet). Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Great flight WilliamM! Congratulations!
That's a good milestone for the P3S.
It's capable of a lot but not everyone can ring that much out! Or, maybe everyone can and just certain a/c's are special. That's why when you get that much out of the p3S I would never update firmware. You know there's nothing stopping you from titling a thread called "official P3 standard long-range leaderboard" to my knowledge Jake doesn't have a patent on that name, he just started the two that he did and is willing to edit it to keep up with the new entries. Honestly I think there's more long range buzz for the PIII standard than any other model currently with all the new flyers owning PIII standards. If you start that thread I'm sure it'll stay busy. Can't wait to see your next milestone[emoji41]

Still this is concerning. If I ever get to that distance definitely good to know but can you imagine someone flying out over water and not knowing about this and losing connection past 65,500ft? I don't see a solution if you never regain connection? It's going to land. For this reason I am not sure I'll ever attempt over 65,000ft.

i'm going to set my RTH mode to 'Hover' .. if im that far out, i should have 20+ mins battery left. I can drive to a spot within 5 miles and get connection back and safely land, I think. Its better than autolanding I think.

Got a couple aftermarket P3 batteries delivered today (PowerExtra). I will not be running them as the main batteries in the P3's. But I was curious and put them in as the main battery in a P3A (latest firmware all around) and it powered it up and armed the motors without issue. I had seen other videos and comments about people reporting they would power up the bird and arm the motors only to get a "Non-OEM" battery message in the GO app and the P3 would power back down.

Also to note they are 10-12 grams heavier than DJi OEM batteries, the whole battery, not taken apart.

hey man, watch those PowerExtra bats if you fly, break them in really well with close flights. I have two, and I'm not against 3rd party batteries at all (see my Mr batt review here). I had a powerextra battery cell die on the way back from a long range trip and it hit critically low battery, fell from the sky into an orchard (i was like 1500 feet away too!). While the batteries arent really designed to go 70k, it shoudnt have died on me. I still had 20% battery left when it went down. Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones I have a second powerextra which i was flying and had a cell go out in it as well, i limped home barely. Snow i have 2 powerextra, both have a dead cell. it says "broken cell". I can still use them to power it on and stuff, but cannot fly. I tried a mr batt battery and had no issues, and also a lumsing and it was okay.

i'm going to set my RTH mode to 'Hover' .. if im that far out, i should have 20+ mins battery left. I can drive to a spot within 5 miles and get connection back and safely land, I think. Its better than autolanding I think.
Is it the RTH when signal is lost? Or is it when "signal is lost", no matter what the action is (hover or RTH)? Don't know, just bring it up.

so i cant figure out a way to simulate lost signal. if you turn off the drone/remove battery, sim stops .. if you turn off RC, sim stops. if you unplug tablet, sim stops. i couldnt get it far enough away for it to say signal lost either hmmm

There's only a handful of flyers that plan on going past 65, it might be time to start considering just setting the lost signal behavior to hover. As dig said, at least you have time to drive that direction and pick signal back up and at very least land it under your control! Everyone of us that's flown 70,000 feet has experienced this autoland, at least to my knowledge the fliers I know of! From what I understand you cannot change that setting in flight, so the downfall is if you lose signal early you got to take a drive, the upside is if your past 65, at least you have a fighting chance of making sure it don't land in some grumpy farmers pasture that is so paranoid that he's going to rip the camera off before he hands the bird back to you[emoji41]

so i cant figure out a way to simulate lost signal. if you turn off the drone/remove battery, sim stops .. if you turn off RC, sim stops. if you unplug tablet, sim stops. i couldnt get it far enough away for it to say signal lost either hmmm
Let me know the next time you try Dig and I'll go to Saginaw and watch for it. You fly on east side of I5 or west? West side would be kind of rough to watch but if you following 99 probably could do it. How about following Sears road? Could follow along with it if your not to high that I couldn't see it..

Reactions: Digdat0
There's only a handful of flyers that plan on going past 65, it might be time to start considering just setting the lost signal behavior to hover. As dig said, at least you have time to drive that direction and pick signal back up and at very least land it under your control! Everyone of us that's flown 70,000 feet has experienced this autoland, at least to my knowledge the fliers I know of! From what I understand you cannot change that setting in flight, so the downfall is if you lose signal early you got to take a drive, the upside is if your past 65, at least you have a fighting chance of making sure it don't land in some grumpy farmers pasture that is so paranoid that he's going to rip the camera off before he hands the bird back to you[emoji41]
Of course you filmed the secret location of his apocalyptic bunker.
d80c288aed7003db1bd3af8ef630cbe0.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I have mastered taking DJi and aftermarket DJi-like batteries out of their white shells with zero damage. It is actually very easy and doesn't require a box cutter or heat at all. Just some small wire cutting shears a few smaller jewelers screw drivers. I can liberate one in about 2-3 minutes. Disregard the cut marks on the first one halfway down the battery. No damage to the battery and it was the first one I did.

RMtwqIK.jpg

Reactions: chazz
Well, I have mastered taking DJi and aftermarket DJi-like batteries out of their white shells with zero damage. It is actually very easy and doesn't require a box cutter or heat at all. Just some small wire cutting shears a few smaller jewelers screw drivers. I can liberate one in about 2-3 minutes. Disregard the cut marks on the first one halfway down the battery. No damage to the battery and it was the first one I did.

Dual Battery Mod

can i have the smartboards? :)

Dual Battery Mod

can i have the smartboards? :)

ya, PM me I'll drop them in the mail for you. Keep in mind they are not OEM DJi smart boards or maybe they are but they came off non-OEM "PowerExtra" P3 batteries. The cells looks exactly like OEM cells though. Also, 1 board's missing a balance cable and both do not have the battery temp wire/prob on them.

These two batteries when combined in parallel and fully cabled will probably weigh ~40-50 grams more than the MS 8,000 but they will have 960mah more juice.

ya, PM me I'll drop them in the mail for you. Keep in mind they are not OEM DJi smart boards or maybe they are but they came off non-OEM "PowerExtra" P3 batteries. The cells looks exactly like OEM cells though. Also, 1 board's missing a balance cable and both do not have the battery temp wire/prob on them.

These two batteries when combined in parallel and fully cabled will probably weigh ~40-50 grams more than the MS 8,000 but they will have 960mah more juice.
That's awesome bro!!!

getting there, just the 2nd battery balance leads to cross over.....

TSqq2iN.jpg
Looks good! I'm curious why you didn't keep them as separate batteries so you can run them on the sides of the bird? And also why didn't you get rid of the circuit boards? Whats the weight so far?

Looks good! I'm curious why you didn't keep them as separate batteries so you can run them on the sides of the bird? And also why didn't you get rid of the circuit boards? Whats the weight so far?

Done

Aftermarket 2x P3 battery in Parrallel 659 grams 8,960mah.

MultiStar LiHV 8,000 is 639 grams.

I didn't want to mess with removing the boards and dealing with the battery tabs as this is the first time I have messed with taking apart LiPo's. Maybe next time I will. There are a few more things I could have done to save a few grams here and there but as I said wanted to keep it as simple as possible and safe this time around.

7TjnGCU.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z