Now even Walmart is in the Phantom business!

Some of these things are things you don't realize until you've owned something other than a P3S. I'm not trying to bash the P3S (I own one too) -- just sharing facts (not my opinions).
I've owned a few other ones and built my own race quad and 350 sized quad I use a Frsky Taranis to fly them with. The Phantom is far from the only quad i own.

I've owned a few other ones
Sorry for the confusion -- I was referring to other Phantom 3/4 models. The design of the P3S remote controller is straight from the P2V+. The P3A/P3P/P4 remote controller is a large upgrade. If you have both remote controllers now though, then I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
I recently purchased the Phantom 3 standard from Walmart. I've been flying helis for the last few years and decided to start flying some drones. I did my research, decided in DJI and couldn't say no to Walmart's price. Every box was sealed, everything in the inventory is sealed, all of the returned drones are sent back to the merchandise claims center, none of the drones that are crashed, even if they have a scratch, are accepted as returns. Well guys I'm an assistant manager at a Walmart in Texas. I can totally understand some Walmart's have terrible management, and not everyone of them are perfect but we do have procedures in place that protect the bottom line which in turn saves our consumers more money. I have assisted many new drone flyers even to other brands we do not sell at our store. I'm in charge of our entertainment department and I bought the DJI to be able to learn and help our first time drone buyers feel comfortable about a $500 purchase. As for repackaged returns, Walmart does not accept any returns ESPECIALLY damaged goods, missing packaging or items. So rest easy, I've turned away 6 drone returns from Black Friday today alone because they crashed and burned. I inspect every drone top to bottom for any damage. If the drone is faulty due to accidental damage, ergo crashing, I will not receive my money back from my return center so I will not refund the customer. It's simple business, Walmart does not HAVE to accept all returns. If you're in Texas, my crew in Elgin are being trained on drones, they have been flying my Phantom, they've flown my blade helis, I try to do right by the customer. Not all Walmart's are out to get you, but you should never have an issue with a beat up broken Phantom.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I recently purchased the Phantom 3 standard from Walmart. I've been flying helis for the last few years and decided to start flying some drones. I did my research, decided in DJI and couldn't say no to Walmart's price. Every box was sealed, everything in the inventory is sealed, all of the returned drones are sent back to the merchandise claims center, none of the drones that are crashed, even if they have a scratch, are accepted as returns. Well guys I'm an assistant manager at a Walmart in Texas. I can totally understand some Walmart's have terrible management, and not everyone of them are perfect but we do have procedures in place that protect the bottom line which in turn saves our consumers more money. I have assisted many new drone flyers even to other brands we do not sell at our store. I'm in charge of our entertainment department and I bought the DJI to be able to learn and help our first time drone buyers feel comfortable about a $500 purchase. As for repackaged returns, Walmart does not accept any returns ESPECIALLY damaged goods, missing packaging or items. So rest easy, I've turned away 6 drone returns from Black Friday today alone because they crashed and burned. I inspect every drone top to bottom for any damage. If the drone is faulty due to accidental damage, ergo crashing, I will not receive my money back from my return center so I will not refund the customer. It's simple business, Walmart does not HAVE to accept all returns. If you're in Texas, my crew in Elgin are being trained on drones, they have been flying my Phantom, they've flown my blade helis, I try to do right by the customer. Not all Walmart's are out to get you, but you should never have an issue with a beat up broken Phantom.
Might as well buy from DJI then, and save the sales tax! :rolleyes:

Might as well buy from DJI then, and save the sales tax! :rolleyes:

Why would I buy from DJI when I get a discount from my employer? :) I also only paid $369 for my Phantom 3. Save more and put money toward my bonus.:D

Last edited:
Why would I buy from DJI when I get a discount from my employer? :) I also only paid $369 for my Phantom 3. Save more and put money toward my bonus.:D
I meant everyone else, whom you were reassuring buying from Walmart was the way to go. Now I understand why! ;)

nobody is talking about the elephant in the room here?

phantoms in walmarts is scary. is the fear justified? maybe not.

why are walmart phantoms scary?

1. it's holiday time. many people who know nothing about drones will get a phantom as a gift. having to at least go to best buy was at least a tech barrier. the fact that it's being sold at walmart has the connotation that anyone should be able to use the product out of the box. obviously this isn't true about everything walmart sells (ehem guns) but in general, many buyers will have no idea as to any FAA regulations involved.

2. walmart caters to a huge, diverse consumer base. good exposure and higher profits for dji, but could be very bad for the professional uav operater, who's P3P or even P4P looks very similar to the $499 P3S. More people will assume that it's a strictly consumer product, and may be less likely to hire someone to operate one professionally.

look, personally i think it's impossible to stem the tide of technology. but, this kinda thing scares the **** out of anyone making a living, or planning on making a living from uav operation.

1. it's holiday time. many people who know nothing about drones will get a phantom as a gift. having to at least go to best buy was at least a tech barrier. the fact that it's being sold at walmart has the connotation that anyone should be able to use the product out of the box. obviously this isn't true about everything walmart sells (ehem guns) but in general, many buyers will have no idea as to any FAA regulations involved.

2. walmart caters to a huge, diverse consumer base. good exposure and higher profits for dji, but could be very bad for the professional uav operater, who's P3P or even P4P looks very similar to the $499 P3S. More people will assume that it's a strictly consumer product, and may be less likely to hire someone to operate one professionally.

look, personally i think it's impossible to stem the tide of technology. but, this kinda thing scares the **** out of anyone making a living, or planning on making a living from uav operation.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think that fear is slightly unjustified. As far as your typical consumer is concerned, they usually go to the toy department and pick up a Air Hog, Sharper Image, or a Sky Viper. Since we've had these drones in stock, I have had two customers inquire about only the virtual reality drone we carry for $148. The only people who bought one on Black Friday were drone enthusiasts taking advantage of a GREAT deal. I really don't think people will look at the standard and assume that a professional is just a hobbyist. Furthermore DJI is involved in this deal quite a bit, Walmart went after a quality brand. Their interest was not only money but to offer a quality product. Like I said I've had a drone come back, they tried to return a Phantom 3 that was crashed. I mean the camera was ripped off the main body. Yes people are going to buy them thinking they are very simple to fly. The P3S is very simple to fly in beginner mode but I have experience, it's not a 3D help by any standards. People will get confident and try to do more with it than they can handle. That's on them though, they never read the warnings or instructions. Every drone I've purchased always says "fly in a open area and learn to hover at a very low altitude to get the feel for it". As for the FAA regulations the P3S has information on registering it, I'll have to go back through what came with my box (currently at work) but I know I've seen it in there. People will just take it out of the box and not do everything they probably should and fly it. That's going to happen with any brand of drone with any level of hobbyist. This is not JUST a Walmart thing. And just because it's more readily available you have to understand $499 is a lot to spend on your first drone. The only ones we sold were on Black Friday. Sales will increase but not in the numbers you're thinking of realistically. Your average consumer is just not going to drop $499 on their first drone. I just don't think millions of people will be buying these drones. It will just make it more accessible to enthusiasts who rather buy it at a store and be able to pick up some props 24/7.

I meant everyone else, whom you were reassuring buying from Walmart was the way to go. Now I understand why! ;)

First any business is in business to make money, I don't make a bonus or secure my job by selling drones, just inventory. I make more money selling vegetables than electronics. Selling these drones at these prices I usually lose money than profit. But I support the company that puts food on my table. I've just read too many comments based on terribly inaccurate information which is what people listen to and trust instead of the facts. So to hint my sole purpose for my post is to increase my bonus is another inaccuracy. If DJI did not care about making money, why do they sell to the worlds largest retailer? So your bashing one but defending the other? Total hypocrisy. In such thought they sold out, and based on the comments yes DJI has sold out. They care about making money, they are a business. In a way they are just totally deconstructing this elitist stigma of "enthusiasts" and introducing a hobby that is available to everyone. That's all this is really about, defending everyone's territory.

First any business is in business to make money, I don't make a bonus or secure my job by selling drones, just inventory. I make more money selling vegetables than electronics. Selling these drones at these prices I usually lose money than profit. But I support the company that puts food on my table. I've just read too many comments based on terribly inaccurate information which is what people listen to and trust instead of the facts. So to hint my sole purpose for my post is to increase my bonus is another inaccuracy. If DJI did not care about making money, why do they sell to the worlds largest retailer? So your bashing one but defending the other? Total hypocrisy. In such thought they sold out, and based on the comments yes DJI has sold out. They care about making money, they are a business. In a way they are just totally deconstructing this elitist stigma of "enthusiasts" and introducing a hobby that is available to everyone. That's all this is really about, defending everyone's territory.
I think you missed the wink. That last comment was meant tongue in cheek. :cool: As to the other issues, if Walmart won't accept any returns on a damaged new drone, which could easily be due to a DOA issue, and charges sales tax, then you might as well buy from DJI and save the sales tax, or buy from Best Buy, Apple, Amazon, or B&H which offer more liberal return policies, while having to pay sales tax.

That ship has already sailed! Walmart is just the icing on the cake, instead of the camel's nose under the tent! :cool:

Reactions: Falcon900
I just purchased the pha 3 standard Thanksgiving night. It included everything you need. I'm sure it's the real thing, everything is DJI. I'm new to it all but everything seems to be in order. Just need the yellow flashing lights to stop, however, I think that I just need to slow down and read the manual! Got it all for $369! I hope it's not a hoax, I really don't think Walmart would go that low, even though I understand some questions.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Lol Its not even close to being justified, before Wal-Mart got into the drone business thousands if not millions of people bought drones, there are going to be noobs flying drones for as long as drones are around, Wal-Mart didn't invite this, Places like Amazon,Ebay and other online retailers play a bigger role because they reach a lot more people than Wal-Mart does i'm talking world wide.

Many people before Wal-Mart don't know the FAA regulations, MANY U.S fliers here on this forum don't know or purposely ignore the regulations so that point is moot and it kinda makes the hobbyists on this forum look bad.

And as far as usability goes even DJI recommends first time fliers buy the standard which Wal-Mart sells so I wouldn't put the blame on Wal-Mart.

Also, You seem to think that the P3A or P3P is SO much better than the P3S its not really, It is better than the P3S But not revolutionary, A few sensors better GPS and a 4k camera doesn't in my mind make it a Huge upgrade to a P3S, With a controller mod and Litchi a P3S can do things a P4 can for the most part.

If you think someone that flies a P3S makes you look bad then just by an Inspire 1...

Before I bought a Phantom I thought the only people that owned DJI products were rich douche bag types that make Vlogs.. I never thought that it was a professional product. And with all the sensors and GPS I thought it was a noob quad to begin with before Wal-Mart got into the game, mind you that was back when I flew Quadcopters without GPS and just strictly flew them for fun and wasn't concerned with the GPS functions and all the other bells and whistles.

Now that I own a P3S I realize how good of a tool it can be but I still don't see where you're getting the whole thing about a pro trying to use a P3A or P3P and being shunned because people can buy a P3S at Wal-Mart, People have been buying them for a long time..

Last edited:
Lol Its not even close to being justified, before Wal-Mart got into the drone business thousands if not millions of people bought drones, there are going to be noobs flying drones for as long as drones are around, Wal-Mart didn't invite this, Places like Amazon,Ebay and other online retailers play a bigger role because they reach a lot more people than Wal-Mart does i'm talking world wide.

Many people before Wal-Mart don't know the FAA regulations, MANY U.S fliers here on this forum don't know or purposely ignore the regulations so that point is moot and it kinda makes the hobbyists on this forum look bad.

And as far as usability goes even DJI recommends first time fliers buy the standard which Wal-Mart sells so I wouldn't put the blame on Wal-Mart.

Also, You seem to think that the P3A or P3P is SO much better than the P3S its not really, It is better than the P3S But not revolutionary, A few sensors better GPS and a 4k camera doesn't in my mind make it a Huge upgrade to a P3S, With a controller mod and Litchi a P3S can do things a P4 can for the most part.

If you think someone that flies a P3S makes you look bad then just by an Inspire 1...

Before I bought a Phantom I thought the only people that owned DJI products were rich douche bag types that make Vlogs.. I never thought that it was a professional product. And with all the sensors and GPS I thought it was a noob quad to begin with before Wal-Mart got into the game, mind you that was back when I flew Quadcopters without GPS and just strictly flew them for fun and wasn't concerned with the GPS functions and all the other bells and whistles.

Now that I own a P3S I realize how good of a tool it can be but I still don't see where you're getting the whole thing about a pro trying to use a P3A or P3P and being shunned because people can buy a P3S at Wal-Mart, People have been buying them for a long time..
We agree! :D

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
I mean, People buy DSLR's but that doesn't make them a professional photographer, same goes with drones. Hell you could be a professional with a P3S IMO its got a good camera and a few mods the sky's the limit for opportunity.

The thing that sets people apart isn't the drone versions its the talent, realize this. Anyone can fly a DJI Phantom 3S,3A,3P or 4 but it takes Talent, know how and ambition to make money and that's not even counting jumping through the hoops to do it legally. So I wouldn't worry about who flys what and concern yourself with getting better and just focusing on yourself.

... Just need the yellow flashing lights to stop, however, I think that I just need to slow down and read the manual! ..
Yep. It's telling you it doesn't sense a control signal. You should read the manual at least twice before you fly.

Welcome to the site!

Reactions: Falcon900
How right you are, about it all, and Walmart only sold the P3S beginning "Black Friday" until they were gone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20