Novice questions re video capture, images

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a Phantom 1 and have been using it for a couple of days. I bought it so that we can film some product promo videos, and I'm already excited about what we might be able to produce! However, I'm also already looking at ways I can improve the setup. I'd basically like to achieve the following:

1. Be able to tilt the camera in the air rather than just filming at a fixed angle
2. Be able to see the footage live on my smartphone
3. Be able to also take photos during the flight (no idea if this is possible)

If anyone can help me out and let me know if this can be done, and what parts and brands are best, I'd appreciate it. I have a feeling I may need a Phantom 2 but I'm hoping there are options to make this work with a 1!

Thanks!

1. You need a gimbal
2. No cell phone will work with P1
3. You have to set the GP to rec/pics
By the time you add all the goodies you'll be looking at 5 min flight time . You might want to look at the P2V+ you can do everything your looking for with 15-20 min flight .

I think what a lot of people new to the hobby don't realize is that UAVs are just like computers were 20 years ago --- ie, you need to pay a hefty price to get something that will be useful and have enough capabilities to keep you satisfied for the near term.

When desktop computers started getting popular in the mid-90's, you could go into Costco and buy a budget PC for around $1,500 but it came with a 13-inch. monitor, 4MB of RAM, but no modem and no CD-ROM drive. Yeah, you could do some things on it but not much. Soon after you bought it, you were already lusting for something more versatile. That's why I did my research and took a major hit on my credit card and bought a Gateway PC in March 1994 that cost me $3,500 but came with a screamin' Intel 486DX2-66 CPU, 15-inch color monitor, 28K fax/modem, CD-ROM drive, and a whopping 16MB RAM! I had a beast of a machine that I could be happy with for a few years. It could actually run MS Office without choking and sputtering to a blue screen of death. :mrgreen:

Too many noobs are buying cheap Phantom 1's and thinking they will be happy by quickly attaching a GoPro but with no gimbal and no FPV. They soon discover they should have endured a little more pain on the credit card and gone with the flagship model Vision+. Please do your research, noobs! You need to "pay to play" to be a big boy in the UAV Game. :D

The thing is, even that $1,500 PC had value, Mitch... if all someone wanted to do is bookkeeping or wordprocessing.

I would agree with "do your research", but add "in relation to how YOU want to use it". "Enduring more pain on the credit card" makes little sense if you overbought. Buying a $3,000 jackhammer is pretty stupid if you could've done everything you need with a $5 shovel.

Believe it or not, there are pilots who care very little about being a "big boy" in the UAV "game".

One of the best purchases I made was my $99 quad. It still gets used when I want to cut loose. It has no FPV but I still have fun taking pictures with it.

ProfessorStein said:
The thing is, even that $1,500 PC had value, Mitch... if all someone wanted to do is bookkeeping or wordprocessing.

I would agree with "do your research", but add "in relation to how YOU want to use it". "Enduring more pain on the credit card" makes little sense if you overbought. Buying a $3,000 jackhammer is pretty stupid if you could've done everything you need with a $5 shovel.

Believe it or not, there are pilots who care very little about being a "big boy" in the UAV "game".

One of the best purchases I made was my $99 quad. It still gets used when I want to cut loose. It has no FPV but I still have fun taking pictures with it.

I get a strong Spidey sense the OP bought a Phantom 1 because of a primary need for aerial videography. He soon discovered it's not designed well for this endeavor.

Yes, you CAN take aerial video with a P1 but without a good gimbal and no FPV how far are you going to get? Somebody who bought a $1,500 PC in 1994 could do some basic spreadsheets and word processing, but I spent a little more cash and was able to edit audio and video files, play interactive CD-ROMs, and surf the primitive Internet. Lots more capabilities when you spend a few extra bucks.

I'm just trying to help the noobs get a better perspective on this hobby before they whip out the credit card to make a purchase. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj