Not once but twice.

Reaction score
I posted back in February in another thread about issues I was having with my new Phantom 3 pro and ended up having to send it back to DJI for repair. Here They sent out a new phantom instead of fixing the one I sent back. I flew it with no issues but then noticed the camera had a strange jitter to the video when flying it laterally to the left. I never received any error messages and I checked the camera after landing but didn't see any issues. Once I returned home I did notice the lens cap was loose so I figured that was the issue. I flew it a few more times after that and didn't notice an issue. A couple of weeks ago I flew it once again and this happened.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I got the drone home and looked the camera and gimble over and didn't see any issues. I did notice this though...

Image3.png

Image4.png

The cracks didn't have anything to do with the camera issue but it was just another head shaking moment if you know what I mean... Anyways, I did end up contacting DJI and got a RMA label to return it and they got it today and found a few issue that they're going to cover under warranty. The camera issue is related to the Gimbal Yaw-axis Video Downlink Main Board and Flexible Flat Cable. They are also replacing the lower cover module. They may just send out a new or different drone like they did last time, I don't know. Anyways, it's not costing me anything so I'm not complaining. Their customer service has been good so far. It's just frustrating having to send it in twice.

The phantom 3’s are known to getting stress cracks on and around the motor mount screws. There are aftermarket reinforcement plates that you can install to fix the problem and prevent it from happening again. The jittery camera may be as simple as a loose set screw on the yaw arm to the yaw motor shaft.

Reactions: gunner370
The phantom 3’s are known to getting stress cracks on and around the motor mount screws. There are aftermarket reinforcement plates that you can install to fix the problem and prevent it from happening again. The jittery camera may be as simple as a loose set screw on the yaw arm to the yaw motor shaft.
I was looking at the reinforcement plates, do they do a good job of prevent the cracking?

Have you got a link for buying reinforcement plates please ?

Some of my flights are not too impressive and my videos are always rather boring when I forget to push the record button. My wife says the problems are all caused by a "loose nut behind the sticks". I can't argue with that.

I have a Phantom 3 Pro that had serious cracking round the motor mounts. I repaired it with Plast-aid. I already had bought a new lower shell just in case, but the Plast-aid did a really good repair, it stinks and makes a horrible mess if you're not careful, but it's really very strong. It's actually stronger than the replacement lower shell. I don't have great faith in the repair plates TBH.

I don't have great faith in the repair plates TBH.
Well, it’s good to know of different adhesives that others have used with success on these shells. From my own experience, the reinforcement plates are by far the best way of repairing and preventing the dreaded stress fracturing of the shell. Of course there are limitations to all of the repair processes. I’ve seen shells with cracking so bad that the mounting area had pieces missing. Even after a repair using adhesives, you wouldn’t be disappointed also using the mounting plates to finish the job.IMHO.

Reactions: Alex Baxter

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic