Normal lipo charger to P3 battery - much better

Reaction score
Now this is a much better solution to charging. I bought an adaptor of eBay .... two lead job with banana plugs to charger one end, P3 connector other.

Plug into charger, set for Lipo HV .... 4S, choose amp setting - I set it at 5A on basic straight charge mode without balance ....
Switch on battery, press start on charger.

You then have full display of charger telling you what's happening .... voltage / amps level and also how any mA charger has put in. The charge stops automatically by the battery's control board .....

Compared to stock dumb charger - this is far better as you know what's happening instead of just trusting a black box.

Last thing to do is find way to access individual cells .....

Nigel

Can you post a link to the eBay items please

The charger is typical lipo charger such as B6 mini or Accucel 6 80w.

The adaptor lead - there are lots on ebay, just do search and page after page will appear ....

Nigel

The DJI charger is simply providing current to the battery, the same thing is happening the way you have the aftermarket charger set up. The exact same charge is being apply in both cases. The only difference is in one case, you can see a read out showing this same charging process. The battery is controlling the charging process, not the charger.

No argument about that - but at least I can see accurate numbers and not just a set of flashing LED's .....

I know exactly what mA's have gone in etc.

No-one claims it is charging differently. DJI have produced a battery that takes plain 17.4v ....

Tcope your first reply reads differently in that it read as though DJI charger was showing info ... which we all know is not true.

Some of us want to have more info and control over what happens. I can set amp rate which the dumb DJI brick cannot do ... I can increase amps to supply multi-battery charge base .... DJI brick cannot.

Nigel

I hear alot of phantom users bagging (criticising) DJI for their products. Words such as 'dumb' 'stupid' 'stupid buttons on remote', stupid this, stupid that. Now I have no shares in DJI, but I gave them my money obviously because I thought it was better than some other choices for the price I was willing to pay. If they are so bad, why did you buy it? Just remember, no company can accomodate for every user's preference.

Just my 2 bobs worth!

The expression 'dumb brick' is actually a common term for a basic power supply - it does not mean DJI is dumb.

But I am surprised that given the techno available generally in RC world that they went for such an approach.

Nigel

I guess they'd have to weigh putting extra $$$ onto the sell price to provide a charger with more control.LCD display, or try keep cost to a minimum by just supplying a basic charger. Maybe they even considered the fact that a simple charger would/may have less things that can go wrong with them, thus less waranty claims etc.

Actually I reckon they could have saved money and trouble of development. If they had put the data part into the model itself and left us to provide standard over shelf lipos - like most others do - we would have the control over the lipo many would like to have.
Good lipo chargers are available at half the price of DJI power brick. DJI could have done a deal like others have with such as SkyRC to have a lipo charger labeled DJI ....

You would then have full control of charging, balancing, storage, testing .... and able to buy lipos at significantly less cost.

Some may say that DJI approach is to cover those less knowledgable about lipo's. Funny how rest of RC world seems to survive including majority of 'drone' brands.

Nigel

Reactions: Solly747400

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic