Normal 'feel' for good motors?

Reaction score
How does a good motor of a Phantom 1.1.1 feel when you turn it by hand? Two of my motors are completely smooth (no real friction). But the other two always move with the same interval (like a gear). It feels like the inner magnets are much stronger and 'click' into place.

I'm asking, because one of the two motors with friction is also making a little bit of vibration. When I remove all the props and start the motors, one of the four arms is vibrating more then the other three.

eborn said:
How does a good motor of a Phantom 1.1.1 feel when you turn it by hand? Two of my motors are completely smooth (no real friction). But the other two always move with the same interval (like a gear). It feels like the inner magnets are much stronger and 'click' into place.

I'm asking, because one of the two motors with friction is also making a little bit of vibration. When I remove all the props and start the motors, one of the four arms is vibrating more then the other three.

I guess you found out there was a problem while flying, or are you just doing a check and found this "issue"

How does your bird fly? does it hold position and not sound like the motors are straining or anything?

To answer your question, "How does a good motor of a Phantom 1.1.1 feel when you turn it by hand?" they typically all feel about the same. There is no change between the motors that would cause them to spin with a different feel when off. If you turn them there should be a bit of resistance but not to much. But flying is the true test.

As part of a pre-flight check that all the screws are tight.

Another quick evaluation is to 'feel' their temperature immediately after flight.

Check them all with your finger to see that the temps are similar.

I always watch the props spin down from idle to a stop after a flight. If any stop abruptly in comparison to the rest, it could be a sign of friction within the motor.

Wedeliver said:
I guess you found out there was a problem while flying, or are you just doing a check and found this "issue"
How does your bird fly? does it hold position and not sound like the motors are straining or anything?

I've been having some problems with vibration in the camera image and noise of the motors. The drone itself flies oke, but because it's quite windy outside the last couple of weeks, it's always hard to check the real performance of the drone. It already has to correct itself due to the wind.

I've checked the screws in the motors. The're all tight.

When I spin down, two motors stop way before the other two. I have replaced to motors and the other two are older. I did replace the bearings on those older two. Could the different bearings be the reason two of them feel different? I'll have to check if the ones feeling different are the 'new' ones :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj