Noob question maybe

Reaction score
Ok I am a noob, got my first 3SE today and not had chance to fly it but I have a question. I see the controller is big enough to fit a tablet on so was wondering about using the wifes 8" Amazon fire which I tweaked to use Android apps from play store.
Now the questions -
1. the fire does not have GPS, what I have read is you do not need it if you don't use follow or want to change the home position. Is this correct?
2. When I start my drone it auto remembers the startup area as the RTH location. Is this true?

I won't be using follow and I expect I will stand in the same spot to fly so should be fine and don't need GPS on the tablet. If none of the above is correct i'll stick to using my galaxy s8.

I have read is you do not need it if you don't use follow or want to change the home position. Is this correct?
That's correct.

When I start my drone it auto remembers the startup area as the RTH location. Is this true?
No. The home point is set each time the motors are started (if the Phantom has a good GPS connection).

I won't be using follow and I expect I will stand in the same spot to fly so should be fine and don't need GPS on the tablet.
Right, you won't need GPS on your mobile device since you don't need those features.

The answers to both your questions are “yes.” It is definitely nice to be able to change the home location as needed, but it’s not a deal-breaker to not be able to.

The larger concern would be your ability to properly set a home location at take-off. The P3 will try to set its current location as its home point upon power up, but if it’s not able to acquire a good satellite signal, you’ll definitely want to refrain from lift-off until it does. The reason being, if you take off without a home point set, the craft may eventually set a home point once it acquires a good satellite lock. This could result in a home point well away from where you’re operating/piloting from, and if you then were to lose remote connection or your battery drops to critical, your Phantom will return to a home point away from you. Consider the issues with a home point being set mid flight on top of a building, or body of water. Without GPS on your mobile device, you wouldn’t be able to change it.

One more point I’ll make is that I would be wary of running the DJI Go app on a device that it isn’t intended to operate on. I wouldn’t want to put my investment (Phantom) in the “hands” of an emulator or jailbroken or reprogrammed device. Personally I fly my P3P with my iPhone 8+, which I believe is similar in screen size to your S8.

That's correct.

No. The home point is set each time the motors are started (if the Phantom has a good GPS connection).

Right, you won't need GPS on your mobile device since you don't need those features.

ok many thanks for clearing that up. I think an 8" tablet will be easier to use than a small(ish) phone. Right back to reading the howto's.

Just a Very few tips and im very sure others can sure add more "Good Luck !

1 always fly with a fully charged flight battery.
2 RC unit is....fully charged.
3 lay the drone UP side down and inspect it....looking for damage...ect.
4 flip it back on it's landing gears...look over props for nicks..scratches..and use the prop tool to check for props all being snug down and NEVER overly tight...replace any prop with even slight damage...as it affects the balance of them.
5 Besure battery is secured in place look at upper and lower lock tabs...no battery to body gaps.
6 with the drone connected to rc and wifi an Go app and props at IDLE...check the app for satellite connections.
7 after lift off....houver at 4 to 5 feet and check the screen that you have established a "home point".
8 Enjoy the flight to the waiting sky's above.

And IF any one can ad a few more things a New Drone flyer needs to know please do....Thank you.

Just a Very few tips and im very sure others can sure add more "Good Luck !

1 always fly with a fully charged flight battery.
2 RC unit is....fully charged.
3 lay the drone UP side down and inspect it....looking for damage...ect.
4 flip it back on it's landing gears...look over props for nicks..scratches..and use the prop tool to check for props all being snug down and NEVER overly tight...replace any prop with even slight damage...as it affects the balance of them.
5 Besure battery is secured in place look at upper and lower lock tabs...no battery to body gaps.
6 with the drone connected to rc and wifi an Go app and props at IDLE...check the app for satellite connections.
7 after lift off....houver at 4 to 5 feet and check the screen that you have established a "home point".
8 Enjoy the flight to the waiting sky's above.

And IF any one can ad a few more things a New Drone flyer needs to know please do....Thank you.

Thanks for the useful tips. I just found out the controller was set in mode 1 lol (now mode 2) and I was slowly pushing the left stick up and it wasn't leaving the ground. I actually thought maybe there is a gear stick lol. Then I pushed the right stick a little to hard and whoosh off it went. Discovered switch 1 was set to attitude so I chopped a few plants up so the wife will be happy.
I really should read manuals fully and understand them before diving in.

Must admit though it scares the crap out of me think of going about 3 meters. Always thinking what if?? If I don't have a nervous breakdown I am going to enjoy this drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers