Noob Advice P2 or P3 pro?

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been lurking here for a while. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first UAV, and I'm deciding between the P2 and P3 pro.

A quick rundown of my situation: I just got laid off my job, and I have a little money saved up so I'm going to take a mini retirement. I will be skiing in the Tahoe area from Jan-March, then heading to Nicaragua from April-May surfing/scuba diving.

I plan on making videos of my travel as I go, putting together a little adventure reel. I have the full Adobe suite for editing, and two go pros already. I want to add a phantom to the mix to take the video quality to the next level. I'm wondering if I should splurge on the Phantom 3 pro, or stick to the Phantom 2 and mount a go pro to it.

I've been flying a little hubsan around for a few months, so I have a basic grasp of flying UAVs. While I can afford the P3, money is going to be a little bit tight, so I would rather save money.

Thoughts?

Ryan

Welcome to Phantom Pilots :)

If money wasn't a consideration, I'd pick the P3 (Advanced or Professional) any day. My first Phantom was the P2V+ -- and, the P3P blows it out of the water.

Since money is tight, it might make better sense for you to pick up a used P2 at this point. You should be able to find one that comes with extra batteries and a case. See what's available on eBay.

The P3 (pro or advanced) is so far ahead of the P2 series that there's no contest.
To get FPV + gimbal on a P2 you are going to spend as much or more than the P3 and have only a fraction of the usability.
And with the P2 + gopro you still don't get on-the-fly camera control.
The P3 Advanced is identical to the Pro except it can only go to 2.7K video rather than 4K.
2.7K is still more than most users need so unless you really need 4K video, you can save a few dollars by going with the Advanced and losing no performance or feature.

Why not get a Phantom 3 Standard? It's perfect for beginners. It is somewhere in between a P2V+ and the P3A.
There was just a sale at Sams Club for $550 so others will probably have sales too as the holiday season approaches. Phantom 3 Standard - Drone for Beginners | DJI

The P3 (pro or advanced) is so far ahead of the P2 series that there's no contest.
To get FPV + gimbal on a P2 you are going to spend as much or more than the P3 and have only a fraction of the usability.
And with the P2 + gopro you still don't get on-the-fly camera control.
The P3 Advanced is identical to the Pro except it can only go to 2.7K video rather than 4K.
2.7K is still more than most users need so unless you really need 4K video, you can save a few dollars by going with the Advanced and losing no performance or feature.

Thanks!

So is the only real difference the ability to shook 4k?

So is the only real difference the ability to shook 4k?
That's the only practical difference ..
Same camera, same sensor but the Pro has an extra chip to process 4K.
The Pro also gets a slightly faster charger.
For most folks the extra dollars are better spent on an extra battery.

Why not get a Phantom 3 Standard? It's perfect for beginners. It is somewhere in between a P2V+ and the P3A.
There was just a sale at Sams Club for $550 so others will probably have sales too as the holiday season approaches. Phantom 3 Standard - Drone for Beginners | DJI

Thanks! I know it's been discussed before, but what exactly are the features I lose from the pro/advanced if I pick the standard?

Thanks! I know it's been discussed before, but what exactly are the features I lose from the pro/advanced if I pick the standard?
There is a difference for sure but for a first quad, it is perfect. If something bad happens you only lose half the money vs a P3A/P. When you are ready to upgrade a new generation will available and you'll have all that experience behind you. If you are just learning I suggest the P3S. It is really up to your budget and personal choice. They are all solid birds.

I'm a noob too :) I've just bought my first UAV I decided to by a second hand phantom 2 with a gimbal and a hero 3. I decided to do this as I've never flew anything before. Having said that I'm quite good with gadgets and love modifying things so although I've only flew it once I've decided to improve the gps already to as I'm keen to reduce the risk of fly always. If I'd been more experience I'm might have gone for a P3 but there is always a consideration about new UAV's being more "limited" not that I plan on breaking laws but I might be tempted to bend a few :)

Checkbefore u take it to Nicaragua , born there some conflicting word from freinds of been ilegal seen videos from there do happy surfing in sjds an Popoyo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj