Non commercial use... indoors?

Reaction score
I got a hypothetical question here... I know we need a commercial license to use our drones to take video and make money off it. Like filming for real estate, checking water towers, filming events, etc... and as I understand it, it would even apply if filming for a monetized YT channel.

But what if you were filming INSIDE a building? Like say inside a gym, or auditorium. That wouldn't be FAA controlled airspace would it? Couldn't you technically film that for money without getting your license?

You may be OK, Scratch, but I don't think so. Professional photographers do not require a license to shoot real estate video until they decide to attach their camera to a flying machine that could potentially cause significant harm if not operated by an experienced, licensed pilot. It's not about whether or not you're indoors or out or who controls the air space. It is about the camera support being used.

I think it would be legal. I've seen it done at basketball games. The previous illustration was still about doing it Outdoors. FAA has no jurisdiction indoors, as you stated.

The FAA has no authority if flying INSIDE. Remember the FAA is tasked with protecting the NAS and this is strictly outside. The only "caveat" is you must not be able to "accidentally" fly outdoors. For instance and open top arena would NOT be indoors.

But what if you were filming INSIDE a building? Like say inside a gym, or auditorium. That wouldn't be FAA controlled airspace would it? Couldn't you technically film that for money without getting your license?
The FAA have jurisdiction over the national airspace.
They don't care what you do indoors.
If you were in Britain, the CAA seem to think they can also make rules about indoor flying.
and as I understand it, it would even apply if filming for a monetized YT channel.
That's a popular myth but the FAA don't care about making some small change from your youtube videos.

Maybe this might apply, maybe not. It's from the Part 107 summary.
Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation, not under a
covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle.

Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation, not under a
Wait, "not under a covered structure"... Does that mean no flying indoors period? Even with no other people in the room?

Wait, "not under a covered structure"... Does that mean no flying indoors period? Even with no other people in the room?
As stated numerous times in this thread, the FAA does not have any jurisdiction INDOORS. It doesn't matter who or what you are flying over.

Now, as to whether or not it might or might not be a good idea, that's another discussion.

But it's not under the control of the FAA. Period.

This does not apply if the drone operation itself is indoors.

Yup, I think what this is saying is you cannot pilot from inside your home, office, car or truck. This makes sense in winter where I've seen people piloting from inside their car to keep warm.

If you are talking about this statement:

the "not under a covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle" do not refer to the UAS operation - they are additional clauses referring to the non-participants being operated over, i.e. you can operate over non-participants if they are protected by a structure or in a stationary vehicle.

If you are talking about this statement:

the "not under a covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle" do not refer to the UAS operation - they are additional clauses referring to the non-participants being operated over, i.e. you can operate over non-participants if they are protected by a structure or in a stationary vehicle.
Now that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. That entire paragraph speaks to operating over people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen