No need to cache maps with Ipad cellular.

Reaction score
I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. I was away from home for to take some pictures with the P3P.
I use a Ipad mini2 Ret cellular, but I don't have a internet connection.
But to my joy when I opened the pilot app. the map and the place where I was, were projected!

Today I tried this on some other locations with the same result. So you don't need a internet connection or to cache maps if you have a cellular Ipad.

you don't need a internet connection or to cache maps if you have a cellular Ipad.
How exactly will the map images be downloaded then?

It doesn't need a sim card, the cellular version of the ipad has a GPS beacon in it that still works with out a sim card in it. If you zoom in tho on the maps out in the field it does get a little blurry but does work like you say. So at home with wifi on zoom in a bit and spend a bit of time dragging the map around, and every time you go out to the places you have zoomed in on you will be able to zoom in as well and it will be crystal clear. I have done my whole country now and it works fantastic, even when turning of the ipad and restarting it the maps are still crystal clear when you zoom in out in the field. Im very pleased with mine.

Reactions: brianb87
It doesn't need a sim card, the cellular version of the ipad has a GPS beacon in it that still works with out a sim card in it. If you zoom in tho on the maps out in the field it does get a little blurry but does work like you say. So at home with wifi on zoom in a bit and spend a bit of time dragging the map around, and every time you go out to the places you have zoomed in on you will be able to zoom in as well and it will be crystal clear. I have done my whole country now and it works fantastic, even when turning of the ipad and restarting it the maps are still crystal clear when you zoom in out in the field. Im very pleased with mine.
Yeah but he's implying he didn't have to cache the maps and they just magically appeared w/o a data plan, which is impossible.

Yeah but he's implying he didn't have to cache the maps and they just magically appeared w/o a data plan, which is impossible.

You dont need to cache the maps, you just need the celluar version with the GPS beacon that the app works off. I have no sim card in mine and all the maps are there when you go out in the field.

I did't cache the maps by means of the pilot app. But I have seen some parts of my surroundings via the maps.
I don't have a simcard either.

So I don't know of this works if I go out of the boundaries but from now I will do as LEEKIYA have done.

You dont need to cache the maps, you just need the celluar version with the GPS beacon that the app works off. I have no sim card in mine and all the maps are there when you go out in the field.
Oh, probably because Apple doesn't use Google Maps, thus the maps are stored locally on the device and no caching is required. That's the only possible explanation.

Just trying to find a post that someone put on a few weeks ago the subject but cant find it, it was off " ipad pilot news" about how the ipads GPS beacon works with out any sim plan for the pilot app. If i find it on the net i will post it as im useless at trying to explain things.

Just trying to find a post that someone put on a few weeks ago the subject but cant find it, it was off pilot news about how the ipads GPS beacon worked with out any sim plan for the pilot app. If i find it on the net i will post it as im useless at trying to explain things.
Of course the GPS will work, it's not having to cache the maps that I was commenting on. But I think I solved it in my previous post.

I'm guessing you're not referring to Satellite images on map but just the basic view with roads and labels.
Why not tether your tablet to your phone? I have an iPad Air 2 WiFi only and I just connect it to my iPhone 6. YouTube Live Streaming works as well as Satellite imagery.
One of the benefits of having the tablet/phone device attached to the transmitter via the USB cable is that you free up the ability to connect to a WiFi hotspot and not need a cellular enabled tablet.

When zooming in if you want them to be really clear you do need to drag the map about yes.

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. I was away from home for to take some pictures with the P3P.
I use a Ipad mini2 Ret cellular, but I don't have a internet connection.
But to my joy when I opened the pilot app. the map and the place where I was, were projected!

Today I tried this on some other locations with the same result. So you don't need a internet connection or to cache maps if you have a cellular Ipad.

i bought the ipad air 2 with cellular because i've read threads like this one. i still can't seem to get the maps on location without a data plan.

can someone tell me what i might be doing wrong?

thanks.

Last edited:
Take a look at this high level overview of different options. Forgive me if you have seen it before since I have posted it to the forum numerous times. Please let me know if I have inadvertently misrepresented or omitted something.

Wifi only iPad (no internet access in the field)
* Can fly with maps if the maps are cached in advance
* No access to new maps in the field
* No LIVE STREAMING
* No Follow Me
* No Dynamic Home Point

Wifi only iPad (tethered for internet)
* No Follow Me
* No Dynamic Home Point
* Can access new maps in the field
* Can use LIVE STREAMING, but likely not well.

Wifi only iPad with an external GPS
* No LIVE STREAMING
* Can use Follow Me
* Can use Dynamic Home Point
* GPS more accurate
* Cell version not needed every time you upgrade iPad
* One more thing to charge and carry

Cellular iPad with no data plan
* No LIVE STREAMING
* Can use Follow Me

Cellular iPad (no data plan, tethered for internet)
* Can use LIVE STREAMING, but likely not well.
* Can use Follow Me

Cellular iPad (with data plan)
* Can use LIVE STREAMING
* Can use Follow Me

You can use an external (bluetooth) GPS with a wifi only tablet. There are many threads on the topic. It seems that the most talked about here on the forum are Bad Elf, Dual and the Garmin GLO. Just search and you will see plenty to read for research if you want to look into that option.

One thing to watch for: iOS 8.3 broke the ability for an external GPS to transfer data. It was fixed with iOS 8.4 and later, and still works in iOS 8.2 and earlier. It is only iOS 8.3 with the issue.

Also, Android tablets almost always have built in GPS so they are another option to consider. I use an Air 2 as you can see in my signature below.

hmm... it seems that i've been taken for a ride on incorrect information because i've read from different sources that a cellular ipad with no data service is all i needed for the maps.

thank you for this info.

one last question... how exactly do i cache the maps? while in wfi do i have to hook my ipad to the controller or can i just open up google maps and thumb thru the areas i want to fly without hooking it up to my controller?

thanks.

hmm... it seems that i've been taken for a ride on incorrect information because i've read from different sources that a cellular ipad with no data service is all i needed for the maps.

thank you for this info.

one last question... how exactly do i cache the maps? while in wfi do i have to hook my ipad to the controller or can i just open up google maps and thumb thru the areas i want to fly without hooking it up to my controller?

thanks.
Bummer that they misled you. The GPS chip in a cellular iPad doesn't access the internet to download maps. It communicates with satellites for positioning information.

While on wifi, open the GO app and go to the map in the GO app. Then just scroll around the area in which you will be flying. Zoom to the most detail you can and scroll around. Also get some of the area around where you plan to fly just in case you go out of your planned radius. The maps remain cached for a few weeks. Maybe 30 days or so. Not totally sure on the exact number of days, but a few weeks for sure.

Bummer that they misled you. The GPS chip in a cellular iPad doesn't access the internet to download maps. It communicates with satellites for positioning information.

While on wifi, open the GO app and go to the map in the GO app. Then just scroll around the area in which you will be flying. Zoom to the most detail you can and scroll around. Also get some of the area around where you plan to fly just in case you go out of your planned radius. The maps remain cached for a few weeks. Maybe 30 days or so. Not totally sure on the exact number of days, but a few weeks for sure.

thank you for this!

Reactions: Oso

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers