NO FLY ZONES

Reaction score
I'm an old home inspector (68) and have no desire to go on 2-3 story roofs anymore so after doing some research, found out about the Phantom 4. Helluva machine! Seemed like it would do my roof inspections without the ladder. Trouble is, the advertising didn't mention it's of NO USE within 15 miles of Washington DC - NO FLY ZONE-drone software won't let it take off!! Now maybe a bolt of lightning should have come in my sleep and told me I live in a NFZ but it didn't happen. I've spent countless hours talking with DJI and accessing the various DJI forums with absolutely no help. Why the hell would they sell this thing in an area wher it can't be used? Now it's very possible I'm just a dumb ****. So, if there's anybody out there that can tell me how to use my expensive toy in the Springfield, VA area, please don't hesitate to help this feeble old man. Thank you

Reactions: Junebug
If you are inspecting roofs, it appears that you will be using the Phantom for commercial purposes. Before conducting any commercial activity with a small UAV, you have to be certified with the FAA. To be certified, you would have to take a knowledge exam (among other requirements). Part of the exam addresses NFZs, TFRs, NOTAMs, restricted areas, etc. Even if you were just a hobbyist, you would have to become familiar with basic small UAV regulations (such as restricted areas, NFZs, TFRs, and the like). With all due respect, it sounds like (to me) you bought the Phantom before performing any due-diligence. These really aren't toys.

Oh, and it is not DJI's responsibility to know where you are going to fly (or attempt to fly) your aircraft. You could live in the White House and they'll still sell you a Phantom, because you could take it on vacation or whatever. ;)

Last edited:
I'm an old home inspector (68) and have no desire to go on 2-3 story roofs anymore so after doing some research, found out about the Phantom 4. Helluva machine! Seemed like it would do my roof inspections without the ladder. Trouble is, the advertising didn't mention it's of NO USE within 15 miles of Washington DC - NO FLY ZONE-drone software won't let it take off!! Now maybe a bolt of lightning should have come in my sleep and told me I live in a NFZ but it didn't happen. I've spent countless hours talking with DJI and accessing the various DJI forums with absolutely no help. Why the hell would they sell this thing in an area wher it can't be used? Now it's very possible I'm just a dumb ****. So, if there's anybody out there that can tell me how to use my expensive toy in the Springfield, VA area, please don't hesitate to help this feeble old man. Thank you
Is ALL of your business within the DC NFZ? I doubt that. On home inspections outside of the NFZ the Phantom 4 will still be a valuable tool. But yeah, ya better go get that license first before you do ANYTHING with it commercially.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues