Authorization and No Fly Areas

Reaction score
After waiting two months, I finally received authorization for a location near the Yakima airport in the form of a the map below where I have authorization to fly at or below 100 feet in the green areas, and the "red" areas are no-fly zones. (I presume what appears brown is meant to be "red"?)

The problem is that what I want to photograph is near the "x." I gave them the coordinates for that location when I applied.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to get permission for this? Why would they send me an "authorization" knowing the location I wanted? I didn't ask for a general waiver in this area.

Yakima Airspace Authorization.jpg

I'm going to assume you entered the exact lat/long of the X when you filled out the form, so I would interpret this as a "NO" from the FAA for whatever reason. It could be due to IFR approaches to that airport they don't want you interfering in. Unfortunately, there is no process to appeal or someone you can go to for authorization if they didn't approve it. You can always ask again, I guess.

I contacted them again and they are not going to work with me. This is an area where the maximum height to fly is ZERO.

I'm trying very hard to understand how 100 feet could cause a problem, let alone 50. Why "zero"? This rules out those who use their drones as tripods and cranes in video productions at very low altitudes, lower than telephone poles and tree tops.

I looked at what possibly might be causing their heartburn on this and it looks like there is a DME arc for the instrument approach to runway 9 traversing where you want to fly. I'm not saying that is certain to be the cause, but it is likely. IFR traffic is absolutely protected at all costs. Now, here is my disclaimer. I'm NOT an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. However, I think you have a valid argument that if you don't plan to fly higher than the surrounding obstacles, say 40 feet maybe, I'm not sure why they would have a problem. Let's also not forget about the Part 107 altitude rules:

"Maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a structure".

I would present an argument to them that you will not fly higher than any obstacle in a 400 foot circle where you are working, and give them a specific date/time. However, at the end of the day, this is Class D airspace to the surface, so it is within their authority to say no. Good luck!

The grid maps published by the FAA are "designed" at the local level. Actual air traffic controllers and/or air traffic management at the particular facility are the people who determine where they are comfortable allowing drones to fly and at what altitudes.

Part 107 operations are now considered part of the National Airspace System (NAS) and controllers now must handle you in a manner that keeps the NAS safe. The controllers determine the areas and altitudes they want you to operate at for very good reasons. By looking at your pic, the X is on a downwind for one runway and base/crosswind for another. Obviously the controllers do not want you flying anywhere near that area because of aircraft descending on base or an aircraft on a slow climb crosswind turn.

As for the red area to the north, there might be other things going on that you are not made aware of. For instance, the facility may have an Letter of Agreement (LOA) with a helicopter outfit that allows them to operate/land north of the field. There are too many variable to list on why controllers have determined how to segment their airspace, but the bottom line is for the safety of the NAS.

Operations within a couple of miles of any runway are going to be heavily restricted. At this point it is too cumbersome for controllers to deal with most drone operators that have very little knowledge of the NAS. The radio is the easiest most efficient way to handle airborne operations, but unfortunately most drone pilots have no training or knowledge on how to talk to air traffic controllers on frequency. ATC phraseology is precise in meaning, it is imperative that controllers and pilots clearly understand what the other is saying and the meaning behind what is said.

I think eventually drone pilots with have different ratings. The most basic, which looks like what is happening now in this infancy of integration into the NAS. The day is coming where a drone pilot will have a rating/certification that allows them to talk on the radio, fly beyond line of sight, operate a sophisticated drone, conduct particular type of missions. Just like pilots of manned aircraft have different type ratings/certifications.

@Skywtch very well said.

What we have to keep in mind is that because of human and equipment errors (not saying failures) they have to be careful. I've yet to see a camera mast or tripod go into RTH and rise on it's own but we've all seen//hard of the UAS that does exactly that. That's why they have those strict altitude holds. I can assure you it would a lot easier for the FAA to say "No drone flights X-distance from every airport in the USA". While this system is far from perfect it's a lot better than the alternative of NO UAS near airports.

"Maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a structure".
This does not apply when you are given a specific altitude in an authorization or waiver. You are expected by ATC to operate at altitudes assigned by them. All altitudes assigned within Class B, C, D or E are assigned by air traffic control. DO NOT go higher than an altitude assigned by ATC whether over the radio or on paper. What you quote is for uncontrolled airspace.

Keep in mind when your operation is in controlled airspace it is being monitored, to various extents, by air traffic control whether you realize it or not. Air traffic controllers assigned you the altitude in authorizations and waivers, not someone sitting behind a desk in a cubicle somewhere.

BigAI07...thank you.

Reactions: BigAl07
This does not apply when you are given a specific altitude in an authorization or waiver. You are expected by ATC to operate at altitudes assigned by them. All altitudes assigned within Class B, C, D or E are assigned by air traffic control. DO NOT go higher than an altitude assigned by ATC whether over the radio or on paper. What you quote is for uncontrolled airspace.

Keep in mind when your operation is in controlled airspace it is being monitored, to various extents, by air traffic control whether you realize it or not. Air traffic controllers assigned you the altitude in authorizations and waivers, not someone sitting behind a desk in a cubicle somewhere.

BigAI07...thank you.

Yes...I'm well aware of how ATC works. Been a private pilot for 25 years. I was simply using that as an example of how to present his argument so that it might get approved. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4