No Fly Zone hack?

Coptersafe I dont feel is that good of an idea. As excited as I was getting, I read the fine print only to learn that they are tricking the quad with wrong coordinates. I prefer waiting on the hack to come out. Meanwhile, My GO app has been blocked and I wont update FW till we can at least roll back multiple FWs .

Per Coptersafe site, this can cause issues..........

Attention

Be very careful with NFZ mod activated. It allows you to fly in No Fly Zones in GPS mode and use Go Home functionality but there are some limitations. Avoid mixing false and real coordinates.

• Don’t use Dynamic Home Point
    When NFZ mode is activated Dynamic Home Point uses real coordinates, but your drone is using false coordinates. Never use Dynamic home point with NFZ activated. By default drone will set initial drone coordinates as a home point. It will work fine.
  • Don’t set position remote control position as your home point
    When NFZ mode is activated your remote control position uses real coordinates, but your drone is using false coordinates. Never set position of remote control as a home point. By default drone will set initial drone coordinates as a home point. It will work fine.
  • Don’t use Follow me
    When NFZ mode is activated your remote control position uses real coordinates, but your drone is using false coordinates. Never Activate Follow Me mode because it will mix up real and false coordinates.
  • Don’t fly by pointing coordinates on map
    When NFZ mode is activated your remote control position and map use real coordinates, but your drone is using false coordinates. Never fly by pointing coordinates on map.

I literally ordered a DJI 1 day before the moron flew his DJI into the White House. Now that DJI is incorporating a 15 MILE no fly zone around the White House it pretty much is going to screw up my fun.

Have people been hacking the firmware? I'd like to remove this limitation -- with the full knowledge that I'm responsible for my actions if I do such a hack. FWIW, I want to fly this in and around parks in Arlington, VA, which is now in the entire no-fly zone.
You really have no business in the air

You're right. Ignorance of the law is no defense. But if the FAA spends all of it's resources punishing rule breakers, it's not really doing a good job, is it? It needs to be stopped before it happens.

No Fly Zones are a good short term solution to deal with an uninformed user base. But the longer term, better solution is to inform the user base.
All pilots have to follow the same rules grow up or get out of the sky.

Anyone know of a firmware hack or a SSH zone.xml workaround for the thousands of UAV aireal photo & video hobbest in the Va & MD areas within the rediculous 15.5 mile no fly zone???? Need the UAV community help on this one. If not, this will only get worse & worse.
You really have no business flying. Stay the **** out of the sky and find a new hobby. This is why only licensed pilots need to be operating drones

You really have no business flying. Stay the **** out of the sky and find a new hobby. This is why only licensed pilots need to be operating drones
I disagree with you on this one. This attitude has crippled the industry. Instead of bashing, how about informing him right from wrong, and why?

Yes there are those who dont belong flying , as there are many with a drivers license who dont need to be driving either.

So when YOU speed, run a stop sign, are you willing to give up your drivers license? Can we demand you stay the **** off the roads?? If this opinion isnt welcomed with you, why should your opinion of him be welcomed?

I disagree with you on this one. This attitude has crippled the industry. Instead of bashing, how about informing him right from wrong, and why?

Yes there are those who dont belong flying , as there are many with a drivers license who dont need to be driving either.

So when YOU speed, run a stop sign, are you willing to give up your drivers license? Can we demand you stay the **** off the roads?? If this opinion isnt welcomed with you, why should your opinion of him be welcomed?
Flying is not driving. As a professional aviator I can assure you there is no room and zero tolerance for people who don't know and follow the rules every time all time. The sky is our place of business and lives depend on it. If you don't know the applicable FAR's and know the airspace you're in you belong in jail like any other avaitor.

Yes, Flying is not driving, yet you wouldnt say that if your child was run over due to the same poor 1 way attitude you have. As is the sky, roads are a place of business as well and many lives depend on it as well. Id like to see 10% of the amount of pedestrians you have in the sky as we do in DC. :eek: And the 1st time you roll a stop sign, YOU belong in jail just like any other driver.

And just because he was looking at bypassing the Geo fence that DJI has placed on these doesnt mean hes breaking any laws. There are instances where we have been given clearance within the DC NFZ. In the past I have been given clearance in certain areas only to be faced with DJIs fence preventing me from flying. Hence why Im building a custom quad.

Yes, Flying is not driving, yet you wouldnt say that if your child was run over due to the same poor 1 way attitude you have. As is the sky, roads are a place of business as well and many lives depend on it as well. Id like to see 10% of the amount of pedestrians you have in the sky as we do in DC. :eek: And the 1st time you roll a stop sign, YOU belong in jail just like any other driver.
You really have no business in aviation. There is no room for people who don't follow the rules. Find a new hobby. This is exactly why AOPA is lobbying to have drones not flown by licensed pilots restricted to RC hobby fields. I can't agree more. Until you have zero tolerance for people who don't fully know the FAR's and the airspace they are in you don't belong in any part of aviation.

You really have no business in aviation. There is no room for people who don't follow the rules. Find a new hobby. This is exactly why AOPA is lobbying to have drones not flown by licensed pilots restricted to RC hobby fields. I can't agree more. Until you have zero tolerance for people who don't fully know the FAR's and the airspace they are in you don't belong in any part of aviation.
Based on your same thought process, are we gonna see you walking to work tomorrow??? Can I say your the same reason our insurance rates are high? Hypocritical intolerance of everyone but yourself. Shame on you.

Based on your same thought process, are we gonna see you walking to work tomorrow??? Can I say your the same reason our insurance rates are high? Hypocritical intolerance of everyone but yourself. Shame on you.
Don't expect people in the industry to show you an once of mercy. Pretty much half the pilots I know have turned in ignorant drone operators to the local FSDO. There never has been tolerance in this industry for ignorant people. Don't expect it to start now. Our exellent saftey record was paved in blood. Find a new hobby and stay out of the sky if you aren't a professional. We send our own to jail every day. What do you think you're any different?

You have people flying drones that don't understand airspace. Or requirements for VFR flight. I have found few drone operators who even know what VFR is and that they are committing a federal offense by flying when conditions don't meet VFR flight. If you don't know those two concepts you have no business taking anything into the sky

You really have no business in aviation.
Funny, you say this, dont know any facts, but I have the FAA
You have people flying drones that don't understand airspace. Or requirements for VFR flight. I have found few drone operators who even know what VFR is and that they are committing a federal offense by flying when conditions don't meet VFR flight. If you don't know those two concepts you have no business taking anything into the sky
SO are you walking to work this week? Let us know so we might see if someone can swing by and pick you up. As my family is on the roads we have a zero tolerance for you when you break the law rolling through a stop sign, etc. Funny YOUR theory of applying rules only apply to what YOU see fit.

And if every pilot was as perfect as you claim we are, there would be no need for FAA, or SAAP.
Your basing instead of teaching gives ALL us pilots a bad name.
By bashing how many accidents have you prevented? None
What about educating ?
Once again shame on you and thanks for giving all us pilots a bad name.

You really have no business in the air
I would cut WhiskB, the OP, some slack. This is an old thread. Check this from 2014 flying above the Washington Monument, which every red-blooded american should know is 555 ft.:

1) The firmware which stopped the OP from flying in his own backyard had just been distributed and installed. At the time, it was DJI's knee-jerk reaction to the White House lawn incident which occurred in Jan 2015. There were no clear anti-drone rules in the DC area at that time. The DC FRZ and the DC SFRA was in place, but nobody was really sure how flight rules in those areas applied to drones. So at the time, it made sense to consider that just because DJI didn't want you to fly didn't mean it was illegal to fly or even against the rules to fly.

2) At some point in 2015 after the White House lawn incident, drones were forbidden to fly near the monuments and White House, etc. IIRC, the area was called "P-56." We couldn't fly in the P-56 area. The fact that drones were forbidden from flying near the monuments implies it's okay to fly in other areas in and around DC.

3) In early Sept 2015, AC 9157A was released without fanfare, and from I could tell, nobody on this site knew about or talked about it for at least a month or two. But it was the first notice that drones couldn't fly in the DC FRZ. And yet, still, nobody seemed to know this. I didn't find out about it until November (I live 19.5 miles north of the White House). But it didn't matter to Phantom owners since Phantoms couldn't fly in the DC FRZ anyway due to the firmware.

4) Around mid or late December 2015, the FAA widely publicized the fact that drones were forbidden in DC and the DC FRZ, but they also forbid all drones from flying within 30 miles of DC (i.e. the DC SFRA). That is, they needed "special authorization" to fly 15-30 miles outside. It was all over the news in the DC area. All flying fields including AMA fields within 30 miles were shut down and locked up.

5) Feb 10, 2016, NOTAM FDC 6/2069 was released effectively allowing flight in the DC SFRA under certain conditions.

Meanwhile, in 2016, DJI moved their no fly zone a couple miles south in the P3 firmware because their first no fly zone wasn't quite accurate (it centered on the White House rather than the airport) meaning there are areas north of DC where P3s can fly and they're perfectly legal, and yet P2s STILL can't fly even though it's perfectly legal for them to fly. But this new no fly zone is STILL not correct. I can start up and fly a P3 at my freind's house in Aspen Hill even though it's within the DC FRZ and completely illegal (the problem seems to be the DC FRZ is oval shaped and DJI can only make no fly zones with circles, apparently).

DJI and their no fly zones are not perfect. Rules are changing all the time. So maybe we should consider that before crucifying the OP.

So what have you done to help the industry? Bash drone operators? You have this attitude where as a pilot who doesnt even want drones in YOUR airspace. Thats like saying we dont want pedestrians near roads. Admit it you have hard feelings as a pilot against anything being in YOUR airspace.

Funny, you say this, dont know any facts, but I have the FAA

SO are you walking to work this week? Let us know so we might see if someone can swing by and pick you up. As my family is on the roads we have a zero tolerance for you when you break the law rolling through a stop sign, etc. Funny YOUR theory of applying rules only apply to what YOU see fit.

And if every pilot was as perfect as you claim we are, there would be no need for FAA, or SAAP.
Your basing instead of teaching gives ALL us pilots a bad name.
By bashing how many accidents have you prevented? None
What about educating ?
Once again shame on you and thanks for giving all us pilots a bad name.
Really genius? They are called FAR's and trust me It's my job to know them.

I would cut WhiskB, the OP, some slack. This is an old thread. Check this from 2014 flying above the Washington Monument, which every red-blooded american should know is 555 ft.:

1) The firmware which stopped the OP from flying in his own backyard had just been distributed and installed. At the time, it was DJI's knee-jerk reaction to the White House lawn incident which occurred in Jan 2015. There were no clear anti-drone rules in the DC area at that time. The DC FRZ and the DC SFRA was in place, but nobody was really sure how flight rules in those areas applied to drones. So at the time, it made sense to consider that just because DJI didn't want you to fly didn't mean it was illegal to fly or even against the rules to fly.

2) At some point in 2015 after the White House lawn incident, drones were forbidden to fly near the monuments and White House, etc. IIRC, the area was called "P-56." We couldn't fly in the P-56 area. The fact that drones were forbidden from flying near the monuments implies it's okay to fly in other areas in and around DC.

3) In early Sept 2015, AC 9157A was released without fanfare, and from I could tell, nobody on this site knew about or talked about it for at least a month or two. But it was the first notice that drones couldn't fly in the DC FRZ. And yet, still, nobody seemed to know this. I didn't find out about it until November (I live 19.5 miles north of the White House). But it didn't matter to Phantom owners since Phantoms couldn't fly in the DC FRZ anyway due to the firmware.

4) Around mid or late December 2015, the FAA widely publicized the fact that drones were forbidden in DC and the DC FRZ, but they also forbid all drones from flying within 30 miles of DC (i.e. the DC SFRA). That is, they needed "special authorization" to fly 15-30 miles outside. It was all over the news in the DC area. All flying fields including AMA fields within 30 miles were shut down and locked up.

5) Feb 10, 2016, NOTAM FDC 6/2069 was released effectively allowing flight in the DC SFRA under certain conditions.

Meanwhile, in 2016, DJI moved their no fly zone a couple miles south in the P3 firmware because their first no fly zone wasn't quite accurate (it centered on the White House rather than the airport) meaning there are areas north of DC where P3s can fly and they're perfectly legal, and yet P2s STILL can't fly even though it's perfectly legal for them to fly. But this new no fly zone is STILL not correct. I can start up and fly a P3 at my freind's house in Aspen Hill even though it's within the DC FRZ and completely illegal (the problem seems to be the DC FRZ is oval shaped and DJI can only make no fly zones with circles, apparently).

DJI and their no fly zones are not perfect. Rules are changing all the time. So maybe we should consider that before crucifying the OP.
This has become very interesting over the last few weeks. I have spent the last 3 weeks working in the house of one of the top FAA officials. We have been discussing drones daily. According to him, the knee-jerk reaction was do more to the drone crash in a certain congressman's backyard. This congressman went directly to the FAA and demanded that somebody do something. He also told me FAA does not want to regulate RC aircraft, or anything of the sort. They do not have the man power. They are plenty busy dealing with certifications with aircraft and Pilots. He also stated that all those drone sightings by pilots had nothing to do with the RC model industry. They were military drones that were spotted by pilots. Are military used to fly behind commercial aircraft to stay out of radar. The negative stuff you seen and heard was drummed up mostly by the media, according to this top FAA official (off the record).

I can say with almost certainty That you have never dodged a drone while in flight. This is becoming a weekly occurrence. It's not a matter of new regulations. It's the fact that a drone operator is already subject to applicable FAR's. The vast majority of operators I run into don't seem to understand that or care. This won't be wait until a plane full of people goes down until we get full enforcement. every pilot has a responsibility to know all available information about every flight. This is not an industry that looks to avoid regulation we welcome them. There is NO room for people in the national airspace system who don't agree and understand this the culture of saftey is nondebatable. .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20