No fly zone adequacy

Reaction score
I am posting this thread to promote some discussion concerning the DJI NFZ notification built into the Phantom 3 particularly when used in the UK. I live close to a class D airfield which the Phantom warns me about. The display however only depicts the Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ). There is also a much larger area known as Controlled Traffic Region (CTR) as well as a military area in which flying is either prohibited or regulated. A new app from NATS, called Drone Assist shows these areas and gives warnings which the Phantom does not. The implications here are that it may be expected that the Phantom will let you fly without warning in some regulated areas leaving you at risk with the authorities.

You can't expect DJI to know every NFZ.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I don't see why not. They claim to have worked with the "authorities" to put the NFZ's together and if they cannot do the job properly then don't bother at all. I'd prefer to have no notification rather than be standing in a Law Court because of a half-arsed approach.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

it is ultimately the operators responsibility to ensure it is safe and legal to fly regardless of what restrictions are enforced/notified by DJI, or for that matter any third party software. To the extent DJI enforced NFZ may prove lacking I wouldn't expect the court to be particularly interested.

Reactions: spamnchips
More regulation isn't needed, we need to take a little responsibility for our own actions and learn to read a sectional. I have a 107 and that lets me in some places a hobbyist cant fly, I don't need more restrictions.

That is very true and exactly the legal framework operating in the UK. Until recently, model aircraft prices meant that they were bought and used by enthusiasts who followed the rules or belonged to Model Flying Clubs that ensured safety for other air users. We now have a plethora of cheap "drones" hitting our markets targeting under 10 year olds in sections of society where "responsible adult" is not a recognised term. An accurate NFZ methodology would surely keep the copter on the ground and keep the risks low.

Reactions: Wessex
I don't see why not. They claim to have worked with the "authorities" to put the NFZ's together.....
Yes, I'm sure that have, but it'll be information that's been provided to DJI; they won't have constructed them. And this is a global product and with and estimated 40,000 operational airfields / ports, plus the estimated additional 5,000 designated as military, there will be a number of inaccuracies...

Reactions: N017RW
You can't expect DJI to know every NFZ.

Generally speaking I'd agree with you.

But, had an interesting experience today. I went to a local municipal park to fly. It was my first time there, and I check the website to see if they had restrictions against drones. There were none.

Got the Phantom set up and ready to fly, and a dialog box popped up on the screen. It asked me if I had permission to fly, and if I accepted the risks. Sure, I just checked the box and started flying.

On my way out a ranger stopped and chatted with me. Sure enough, he said drones were not allowed to fly in the park. So the ranger knew, DJI was at least somewhat aware of the restriction, and the park's website said nothing. Interesting.

Generally speaking I'd agree with you.

But, had an interesting experience today. I went to a local municipal park to fly. It was my first time there, and I check the website to see if they had restrictions against drones. There were none.

Got the Phantom set up and ready to fly, and a dialog box popped up on the screen. It asked me if I had permission to fly, and if I accepted the risks. Sure, I just checked the box and started flying.

On my way out a ranger stopped and chatted with me. Sure enough, he said drones were not allowed to fly in the park. So the ranger knew, DJI was at least somewhat aware of the restriction, and the park's website said nothing. Interesting.
And I fly a lot at a disused airfield that was the flight test centre for Vickers and then BAC which was closed in 1972. When the NFZ were first introduced, it came up with something like caution, you're entering a non-operational airfield and now it's shown as a your are entering a recreational airfield and beware other users!

I don't see why not. They claim to have worked with the "authorities" to put the NFZ's together and if they cannot do the job properly then don't bother at all. I'd prefer to have no notification rather than be standing in a Law Court because of a half-arsed approach.

Since DJI has no power to make or enforce regulations, any approach they take is destined to be "half-arsed." I agree, they shouldn't bother at all. Ultimately, it is the user's own responsibility to know the rules. If you end up in court, it is your own fault. Yes, it is unfortunate that the DJI app could give many the impression that it is a substitute for finding things out on your own.

The problem, unfortunately, also works in the other direction. They have (unless recently fixed) areas incorrectly listed as either NFZs or requiring an unlock. I have stayed on an older firmware to avoid all that nonsense.

Never trust some random company to know what is legal for your local area and your local situation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94