Nnnnnnnnooooooooooooo

• Thread starter Deleted member 62848
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 62848

OMG today in the sun I spy this top shell crack, this my new p4,
Original props but haven't checked the balance cause they was new,,what does you reckon,,some super glue,,,,out of warranty even before I start ,,this was brought second hand with 4 flights on it,,not really want to replace top shell I just put a wetsuit on !!..well I better order 1 incase
20190627_115309.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Shoot4fun and Oso
You could always try something like Plastaid which is sold by spa and swimming pool suppliers. Seems to get a good report from many people on here. Maybe use a dremel to slightly V out the crack and apply the goop. Removing your phantom wetsuit is going to be messy as the adhesive used on the skin is not going to be easy to peel off. Trust me on this.....

Don’t sweat it. I don’t think i’ve had a P4 with out some little crack. I watch them and had no problem. If I take the tops off I fix them. That has only happened with my P3. Lots of good fixes. I never liked using super glue, it is too brittle. I’ve thought the vibrations could crack it. I’ve use two types of glue to see which is best and they both worked well. The thrashing my P3 took underneath a waterfall for 3 days didn’t compromise the repairs. One glue was gorilla glue and the other was super weatherstrip adhesive. Super weatherstrip adhesive comes in yellow and black. I used it in the body shop and we called it yelow death. If you accidentally got it on the paint, it ate through it to the metal.

Yes was trying to avoid the wetsuit part,yes have seen mess in da past,I go down hardware shop and see if any,,this town bit sad so got to drive to next town for most stuff,,,yes would rather try repair or halt the crack rather than replace the top but if comes to it I just might have to,,,,yip I know it's not big crack yet but because it has cracked it could give me some unwanted vibration and worse case snap the arm,,it's left rear for the record,...last flight was with seagulls at beach,,not reckless flying was enjoying the sun for a change,its cold,,,,hey it could explain the seagulls not chasing me on this occasion,,they knew I was wounded lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shoot4fun
Not trying to make fun of your crack ianzone, but that ain't very big. My P3 has that on two arms. Has been since the first crash back in early '17. Doesn't seem to affect flight at all. I'm gonna fix it, along with the repairs from my latest crash, with some 2 part plastic repair epoxy. As WV. Rootman said, "Don't sweat it". Gorilla glue, or 2 part epoxy for plastics will heal it. Little sanding and put your wetsuit on it and all is good. Then the seagulls can go back to picking on ya! ? (That's the ugliest seagull I ever did see...)

Not trying to make fun of your crack ianzone, but that ain't very big. My P3 has that on two arms. Has been since the first crash back in early '17. Doesn't seem to affect flight at all. I'm gonna fix it, along with the repairs from my latest crash, with some 2 part plastic repair epoxy. As WV. Rootman said, "Don't sweat it". Gorilla glue, or 2 part epoxy for plastics will heal it. Little sanding and put your wetsuit on it and all is good. Then the seagulls can go back to picking on ya! ? (That's the ugliest seagull I ever did see...)
Cheers p4 more stress cause more power and speed than p3,,I just went beach and full noise sport mode everwhere,,crack still the same but yes I be watching it,,cheers mate,,flew 2 battery's hard

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shoot4fun
Top shell crack is less serious than a bottom shell crack. But of course top shell does give resistance to to bottom shell flexing upward.

I would be checking underneath to try and find out why the arm has flexed UP or down to cause that crack. Maybe a bit of a hard landing that struck that arm ?

My go to is MEK - the solvent glue used by plastic kit builders .. it actually dissolves the plastic to weld it together ... you apply sparingly by thin pointed paint brush. Be careful not to get it on the paint brush handle !! It dissolves the paint.... and can wick to the repair !

Various names for it .. but most common is Plastiweld.

For stronger joints .. the kit people actually dissolve slivers of plastic in it ... make a V of the joint and then apply the 'paste'.

Top shell crack is less serious than a bottom shell crack. But of course top shell does give resistance to to bottom shell flexing upward.

I would be checking underneath to try and find out why the arm has flexed UP or down to cause that crack. Maybe a bit of a hard landing that struck that arm ?

My go to is MEK - the solvent glue used by plastic kit builders .. it actually dissolves the plastic to weld it together ... you apply sparingly by thin pointed paint brush. Be careful not to get it on the paint brush handle !! It dissolves the paint.... and can wick to the repair !

Various names for it .. but most common is Plastiweld.

For stronger joints .. the kit people actually dissolve slivers of plastic in it ... make a V of the joint and then apply the 'paste'.
Are you talking about methyl ethyl ketone? It is a solvent in a lot of glues. So the pure product is better than the glues made from it? It’s in paint / thinners that I worked with in the auto body shop. We had a container with all our leftover paint and old thinners. We would get really large pieces of light weight plastic and shove it as fast as we could into it. The plastic would instantly disappear.

Sorry for your crack. My p4 yesterday shook on take off after returning from a short flight. Set it down tried again and it was fine. Gonna look for cracks and change props. Originals for over a year. Heavily scratched, recently changed to new prop mounts. Worried.

I think it is interesting that I have flown a P4 for several years and many flight hours and my aircraft [shell] is still in like-condition. I guess I got a good one :)

Are you talking about methyl ethyl ketone? It is a solvent in a lot of glues. So the pure product is better than the glues made from it? It’s in paint / thinners that I worked with in the auto body shop. We had a container with all our leftover paint and old thinners. We would get really large pieces of light weight plastic and shove it as fast as we could into it. The plastic would instantly disappear.

Yep ... MEK

Its the plastic kit modellers go to glue because its used sparingly and if with care - you never see a joint. Its why you apply with tip of a pointed small paint brush.

It may be in other glues - but its a welding glue in its own right.

I would assume it may have an inhibitor in it as the MEK I have does not instantly dissolve the plastic but takes a few seconds to soften .. and then 'meld' the two edges.

Sorry for your crack. My p4 yesterday shook on take off after returning from a short flight. Set it down tried again and it was fine. Gonna look for cracks and change props. Originals for over a year. Heavily scratched, recently changed to new prop mounts. Worried.
Found problem. Started a new thread Poor little bird. Same boat again Ian but mine might be worse my friend. LOL

I think it is interesting that I have flown a P4 for several years and many flight hours and my aircraft [shell] is still in like-condition. I guess I got a good one :)
Agree yip my p3s from 2016 still flys hard with no cracks,wonder if p4 plastic thinner being polished

Did you have to loosen\remove the motors at all? You could have over-tightened the screws causing it to crack... If you can, try and repair the crack, replacing the top she'll is a pain in the button since it requires desoldering and soldering the motors and removing the GPS copper shield, which tears easily. If go ahead and need a new top shell, send me a message, I have several.

Did you have to loosen\remove the motors at all? You could have over-tightened the screws causing it to crack... If you can, try and repair the crack, replacing the top she'll is a pain in the button since it requires desoldering and soldering the motors and removing the GPS copper shield, which tears easily. If go ahead and need a new top shell, send me a message, I have several.
OK thanks,,I have orded one as spare incase,,no I haven't touched this drone,only put wetsuit on,,I did strip my last p4,,I don't remember the desoldering part everything was stuck to the bottom and esc boards,including motors , gosh I'm thinking now,,na think it just came apart only to unplug gps module

Please use an actually descriptive title for your next post. Personally, I'm going to join the growing group of people that don't even open a thread unless the title gives an indication of the subject matter (which is what the title is for).

OMG today in the sun I spy this top shell crack, this my new p4,
Original props but haven't checked the balance cause they was new,,what does you reckon,,some super glue,,,,out of warranty even before I start ,,this was brought second hand with 4 flights on it,,not really want to replace top shell I just put a wetsuit on !!..well I better order 1 incaseView attachment 112353
Stop drill the crack with a very small drill bit .Carefull of what is on other side of shell ,remove motor if unsure.
This will stop the crack from progressing . Then glue . Done it before on my P3 and in some cases its done on real aircraft

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z