Night Time Video Flight on PV2+ - Noisey Video

Reaction score
I am sure this has been hashed out before but I couldn't find an answer. I was trying a few night time flights and with my PV2+ tonight and thought I'd try and get some Xmas light video. My video has come back with a lot of noise. I have the ISO at 400, I am wondering if it is picking up noise from the flashing red lights? Any suggestions? I added a picture of the noisey video from screen capture.
Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• Screen Capture.JPG
    Screen Capture.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 544
I have the same issue. I would like some info as well. I have seen other night vids on YouTube, some better and some worse than mine. I'm guessing the camera simply needs more or better light sources.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The P2V+ camera is just not designed for night shots unless you have a decent wide area illumination source. Otherwise, sunsets are usually the best you can expect. Even an SLR at 400 ISO typically results in a grainy image.

I am sure this has been hashed out before but I couldn't find an answer. I was trying a few night time flights and with my PV2+ tonight and thought I'd try and get some Xmas light video. My video has come back with a lot of noise. I have the ISO at 400, I am wondering if it is picking up noise from the flashing red lights? Any suggestions? I added a picture of the noisey video from screen capture.
Thanks
Pete

you can tape the front leds
night and the plus don't mix well , I have got decent stuff at sunset/twilght time but when dark you need well lit subject

Sunsets are cool, but night flying is a bad idea. It's not only unsafe because your craft could fall (heaven forbid) and it's tough to find at night, but it's also an aircraft guys. Fly safe and note the FAA ordinances before flying at night, and I'm not trying to act smarter than you, I know you're all not stupid, but taping the flight lights is pretty unprofessional. C'mon, it's an aircraft, not a toy.

Sunsets are cool, but night flying is a bad idea. It's not only unsafe because your craft could fall (heaven forbid) and it's tough to find at night, but it's also an aircraft guys. Fly safe and note the FAA ordinances before flying at night, and I'm not trying to act smarter than you, I know you're all not stupid, but taping the flight lights is pretty unprofessional. C'mon, it's an aircraft, not a toy.

Thanks for the help.

The led tape has been done for a long time by many especially photo pros.

Maybe you should tell that to DJI about the LEDS,
My P3 A has the ABILITY BUILT IN to cut those front LEDS off via the GO app

AS the owner of over half dozen and hundreds and hundreds of flights I am aware of what they are and how they work .

BTW they are so much EASIER to see and orient visually in the evening hours vs bright sun, and they can " heaven forbid" fall in the daytime as well.

Regardless of an app gives you the ability to deactivate flight lights, it's unsafe for reasons like lifeflight pilots not expecting a 3 pound object to be in their flight path.

Regardless of an app gives you the ability to deactivate flight lights, it's unsafe for reasons like lifeflight pilots not expecting a 3 pound object to be in their flight path.

As long as you stay below 400 ft, night flying is perfectly allowable IMO until otherwise outlawed. If any other aircraft is flying below 400 ft outside of a no fly zone, then they are at fault and are doing so at their own risk. Any collision would be their fault, not mine.

Thank you for your opinion! Because you say it is so does not make it so

as far as leds on/off , you are the one that said :

"...all not stupid, but taping the flight lights is pretty unprofessional..."
Well the REAL PROFESSIONALS named DJI just DID the same thing as tape with the app, WHY?, because the Pro photographers asked for it.

I am well aware of life flights and in fact know the normal pathways they follow around my home. One of which is about 200m west of me.

ITs weird around my house those life flights fly night and DAY, why will we crash at night and not day? The QUAD is MUCH easier to see at night period, try it you may surprise yourself. and no it is NOT illegal.

I do not fly in that direction day OR night !
As I stay in the 100 to 200 foot range and stay LOS I am VERY comfortable flying as I have for a long time.

BTW I am still flying or have sold every phantom I have had... have had them all.
So I must have somewhat of a clue about these!

Good luck and have fun flying!

Reactions: Sky Media Drones
Thank you for your opinion! Because you say it is so does not make it so

as far as leds on/off , you are the one that said :

"...all not stupid, but taping the flight lights is pretty unprofessional..."
Well the REAL PROFESSIONALS named DJI just DID the same thing as tape with the app, WHY?, because the Pro photographers asked for it.

I am well aware of life flights and in fact know the normal pathways they follow around my home. One of which is about 200m west of me.

ITs weird around my house those life flights fly night and DAY, why will we crash at night and not day? The QUAD is MUCH easier to see at night period, try it you may surprise yourself. and no it is NOT illegal.

I do not fly in that direction day OR night !
As I stay in the 100 to 200 foot range and stay LOS I am VERY comfortable flying as I have for a long time.

BTW I am still flying or have sold every phantom I have had... have had them all.
So I must have somewhat of a clue about these!

Good luck and have fun flying!
Thank you and sorry for sounding so conceited. Enjoy your flights as well.

I filmed a Christmas tree last year using a V+. In the dark the clip was very noisey. I tried again next evening at dusk, and the results were much better, and the clips looked like night time. You can see the results below. The very last scene was from the first day and you can see the amount of interference on the clip, especially around the edges.

I now have a P3 and it is SO much better at night.

Unfortunately it's just a limitation of the Vision+ camera. It isn't designed for low-light and the images turn out grainy. Keeping the camera angled down a bit will help alleviate the glow of the front LEDs, or mask them off with tape.

Thanks
Pete

JMHO but night flying is a blast. It can fall from the sky regardless of ambient light. You can see the Phantom MUCH further than you can in daylight. I've been 2 miles out and you can see her plain as can be in the night sky. Turning off the LEDs is to allow the camera to function properly without interference. The P3s allow you to turn off the front LEDs via the app (wish they would all you to turn them ALL off for a true Stealth mode!) If a manned aircraft is illegally buzzing around <400' at night I'd have to say that's on him. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl