Night flights

Reaction score
Can you as a hobbyist legally fly your drone at night even if you have anti collision lights? This will settle an argument with a buddy so thank you for your help!

It might depend on where you are located. In most jurisdictions should not fly at night. Rwgrdkess of what lights you might have.

The argument (and the winner gets free breakfast) is simple: if a hobbyist flies at night is he breaking the law? I just added that the lights were on the drone for the sake of argument. and I suppose we should say he is in a city limit. The pilot asks no permissions, he just steps outside and starts flying. for the question will stipulate not in controlled airspace. This is in the United States too.

I understood that all of the regular UAS flight jurisdictional rules apply IN ADDITION TO only flying within 30 minutes after official sunset or 30 minutes before official sunrise using appropriate anti-collision lighting. An FAA waiver would be needed to do anything other than that.

I understood that all of the regular UAS flight jurisdictional rules apply IN ADDITION TO only flying within 30 minutes after official sunset or 30 minutes before official sunrise using appropriate anti-collision lighting. An FAA waiver would be needed to do anything other than that.
Waivers apply to Part 107.

Reactions: cfd701
By my understanding- Hobby flights after dark (not within 30 minutes of Sunrise and Sunset) are not permitted. Part 107 Remote Pilots may fly with a waver including without anticollision lights if included in the waver.

The argument (and the winner gets free breakfast) is simple: if a hobbyist flies at night is he breaking the law? I just added that the lights were on the drone for the sake of argument. and I suppose we should say he is in a city limit. The pilot asks no permissions, he just steps outside and starts flying. for the question will stipulate not in controlled airspace. This is in the United States too.
There's no "law" prohibiting it for hobby flights.

Seems there is some confusion on this issue. It appears that it is not illegal to fly at night as a hobbyist just need appropriate anti collision lights. Seems wrong and a safety issue that night flying ok for a hobby, but if you have 107, you have to get a waiver. FAA just don't want to make it easy to make money.

Seems there is some confusion on this issue. It appears that it is not illegal to fly at night as a hobbyist just need appropriate anti collision lights. Seems wrong and a safety issue that night flying ok for a hobby, but if you have 107, you have to get a waiver. FAA just don't want to make it easy to make money.
That's correct.

Folks, read FAR 101.41 and Section 336 of Public Law 112-95, there is no mention of prohibiting night flight for hobbyist drone operations. If you want to take it a step further and consider "The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization" FAR 101.41(b) and use the AMA's safety guidelines, they too have no night flight restriction. Again, this applies to hobbyists operating in the US

Reactions: Surferchicusa
I’m sorry. I don’t see any mention of the word “hobbyist” when the law notes the restrictions against night flying. Can someone point out where they are specifically excluded?

I’m sorry. I don’t see any mention of the word “hobbyist” when the law notes the restrictions against night flying. Can someone point out where they are specifically excluded?
Read what FLYBOYJ posted. Section 336 is what covers "hobby" flights. And it does not mention prohibition of flights at night.

Part 107 which covers "non-hobby" flights has a provision for requiring a waiver for flights more than 30 minutes beyond civil twilight.

Seems there is some confusion on this issue. It appears that it is not illegal to fly at night as a hobbyist just need appropriate anti collision lights.

AMA General Safety Rule #8:

RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations.

Drone User Group Rule #8

Night operations

Only fly your drone at night if the drone is equipped with lights sufficient for you to see the orientation and flight direction of the drone. Prior to your flight at night, check for obstacles that may not be easily seen in the dark.

Last edited:
It appears illegal but makes no sense. I can actually see my drone BETTER at night. It's easier to visualize the lights and tell front and back at night. My question is, Has anyone ever been prosecuted or fined for flying at night? Anyone?

BTW, here's some night pics I just took this week.
nightpic2.jpg

Attachments

• nightpic1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 410
BTW, looked up info on getting a Part 107 night waiver and it takes 13-90 days. Are you kidding me!? That's ridiculous!

and it takes 13-90 days. Are you kidding me!? That's ridiculous!

Yep, the bureaucracies behind the federal alphabet agencies, FAA included, are not known for their alacrity... nor the ability to adequately keep up with emerging technology.

Sign of the times

In the US as a hobbyist flying under community based rules, AMA, LEGAL.

I spoke with local FSDO office and had to send him the AMA wording quoted above. He agreed and said he was not aware of it. LEGAL.

I think your right as a hobbyist as long as you have appropriate anti collision lighting, and are flying safely following the guidlines. No problem.

Interesting discussion, here in Australia is not permissible to fly at night, with waivers possible for Licenced pilots from CASA, our FAA equivalent. Do any other countries permit hobby fliers at night? Seems counter intuitive that it’s permitted to me

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic