NFZ in North San Bernardino

Reaction score
I was out today trying out some drone mapping with my Mavic Pro. I went over to an area that I fly regularly, went through my normal setup (checklist) and got hit with a Dji geofencing update again. I didn't think much as I have not used this drone since the Pasadena job (last month). Did the update, then WAM! hit with "Cannot Take Off" re-checked everything. When I saw the NFZ I was sure it was an error as I have been flying in this spot, even over it from my house for over a year. Drove down the road a little to see if it was just the Solar farm that I wanted to map. Went through my setup again same results, I then drove about 2 miles away, same results. After all of this I'm a bit baffled and t'd-off. I break out my Phantom 4 that I used about a month ago and made sure I would not do the update if it came up. Fired it up, no update needed, but same result "NFZ" I check both Airmap and Kittyhawk, nothing had changed in accordance with Airspace, stills shows class G uncontrolled airspace. Now I'm wondering if Dji has screwed the pooch on this one and NFZ the wrong area. If I was just going out for fun I could take my Phantom 2 out, but the Dronedeploy app doesn't work with the older Phantom, so now I wondering again how far dose this NFZ reach in my city. I have 3 Parks to go map today and I don't want to go out wasting time and not be able to get the work done.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
Well, if I was playing baseball I call it a good day 2 for 3, but when your tasked with getting projects done 2 out of 3 is not the results people are looking for. I went ahead and flew the first park, which is about 4 miles south of my house. Everything worked fine and this Park is on the edge of class D airspace. Went down to the second Park which is Class D airspace also and closer to my local airport (approximately 2 miles away), did the in app wavier the Go app ( I did this one with my P3P) and submitted my flight info via Airmap, no problems. I head up near the northeast part of town to do the last one (Soccer Complex) on the edge of Class D airspace 4.5 miles north of airport and WAM! I get the NFZ again. I get home and just for the heck of it I try to see if I could fly, NOPE!!! NFZ still. I may need to call the FAA on this one, I could not find any NOTEMS or TFR's and nothing has changed in either flight programs that I use to check on airspace. Any suggestion???????

I would check DJI fly safe and see. There could be a temporary NFZ out that way. There is another similar California thread running right now

I would check DJI fly safe and see. There could be a temporary NFZ out that way. There is another similar California thread running right now
I was thinking the same, until I try to fly my phantom 4 that has not been updated recently and got the same NFZ. I check it and no changes in my area

Checking DJI fly safe I see a bunch of temporary NFZ’s in your area. I recently had such an issue that cost a an extra day on a job. It will not show on Airmap or Kittyhawk apps...

Reactions: Recoveryone
Checking DJI fly safe I see a bunch of temporary NFZ’s in your area. I recently had such an issue that cost a an extra day on a job. It will not show on Airmap or Kittyhawk apps...

I see them on the Safe to fly, but I flew last Sunday without any issue, I stopped at that location today once I moved from my first location and got the NFZ, just fishy.

Going back and looking at the dates of my last 4 flights I posted on my youtube channel and they all fall within the dates of the NFZ issued date.

It's always a good idea to have a 2nd unit available for just these types of cases. You never know when your primary will have a malfunction or if DJI's GEOfencing is going to give you a fit. Having a non-GEO unit in your arsenal is a must for professionals.

As a side note: Some photographers will show up on site with 3 or more cameras "just in case".

Reactions: THE WARRIK
It's always a good idea to have a 2nd unit available for just these types of cases. You never know when your primary will have a malfunction or if DJI's GEOfencing is going to give you a fit. Having a non-GEO unit in your arsenal is a must for professionals.

As a side note: Some photographers will show up on site with 3 or more cameras "just in case".
I agree, I had 2 drones with me, but both are Dji brand and use the Go/Go 4 app. The only one I have that is not app dependent is my older Phantom 2 w/GoPro camera setup, it doesn't work with the Drone deploy app, so I'm stuck on that end. My have to look into another brand (Autel/Parriot) to see if drone deploy supports those.

We use Yuneec but again it doesn't use DD either. There are other apps for some Yuneec aircraft but DD doesn't support anything but DJI as far as I know.

Reactions: Recoveryone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic