Nexus 7

Wildcatter, can you please tell me where you bought the white mounting hardware? I've seen links for black hardware, but the white is nicer imho. My 2012 edition is on the way. Thanks again for all of your input. Much Appreciated.

t.rexxer said:
Wildcatter, can you please tell me where you bought the white mounting hardware? I've seen links for black hardware, but the white is nicer imho. My 2012 edition is on the way. Thanks again for all of your input. Much Appreciated.

The mounting method I used is the simplest I've seen anyone do and can accommodate any device. Just use universal phone mount that can do a wide enough opening for the nexus 7 and has a ball and socket joint to simply swap it with the existing clip on to the same bar that is attacked to the remote. You can look at my previous post for video of it installed with new Nexus 7

Ummm..... Just got my Nexus 7 2012 and the DJI Vision app is telling me that my device is not compatible with this version????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nevah mind... I'm a pro geek. I figured out how to DL the APK and install from the tablet. Looks nice, btw !!! :D :D :D

gunslinger said:
Ummm..... Just got my Nexus 7 2012 and the DJI Vision app is telling me that my device is not compatible with this version????

Nevah mind... I'm a pro geek. I figured out how to DL the APK and install from the tablet. Looks nice, btw !!! :D :D :D

Wow, that was fast slinger! Glad you did the fix so quickly and thanks for sharing. Mine is a couple of days away. How about posting a pic of how you attached your new Nexus 7 to your transmitter? Just looking for some more ideas. Thanks.

t.rexxer said:
gunslinger said:

Wow, that was fast slinger! Glad you did the fix so quickly and thanks for sharing. Mine is a couple of days away. How about posting a pic of how you attached your new Nexus 7 to your transmitter? Just looking for some more ideas. Thanks.

I haven't done that yet, but I'm currently shopping around for ideas. I like Wildcatter's solution, because it's pretty elegant. Just one more piece of hardware to cram into the flight box. There are other, maybe more attractive solutions, but I don't think any of them will fit in my case... I'll keep you updated on my findings in this thread...

Also... If you have any problems at all with getting the ap running, please feel free to let me know and I'll walk you through it. And... Thanks again WC. This thing is pretty cool !!! :D :D :D

Okay... Here's what I'm thinking for mounting the Nexus 7...

Take a look at this setup for the iPad Mini...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4859&p=35421&hilit=arkon#p35421

Mounting that Arkon rig the same way that "Wangta" did and mating it to something that will hold the Nexus 7 and has a tripod mount...
Something like this...

nexus7-holder.jpg

Tripod mount holder = http://www.ebay.com/itm/290968412568?ss ... 1423.l2648
Arkon clamp rig = http://www.ebay.com/itm/380487407592?ss ... 1423.l2648

What do you guys think?

I think it'll work just fine, but it's more crap to either somehow fit in the case, or carry separately which is a PITA.... But... It would look pretty cool... :shock: :? :) :D

Here is how I installed the Nexus 7. I used a tripod mini ball swivel attached to the DJI bracket at one end and to a Seasucker vacuum cup that holds the Nexus 7 or any other tablet. The advantage here is that it is a clean and firm installation and allows for instant change of tablet without modifications.

Attachments

• IMG_0556-1.jpg
    IMG_0556-1.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_0559-1.jpg
    IMG_0559-1.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_0558-1.jpg
    IMG_0558-1.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 666
rmklaw said:
Here is how I installed the Nexus 7. I used a tripod mini ball swivel attached to the DJI bracket at one end and to a Seasucker vacuum cup that holds the Nexus 7 or any other tablet. The advantage here is that it is a clean and firm installation and allows for instant change of tablet without modifications.

So the sucton cup is holding the Nexus? Securely?

-slinger

rmklaw said:

That actually looks like an excellent idea. Do you have the model number on the SeaSucker? Is that the small rectangular one? Looks like it. And the tripod mount has a ball end on both ends?

Thanks...
-slinger

rmklaw said:
I don't have the model number, but it is the mini Seasucker rectangular. Here is the link:

http://www.seasucker.com/shop/mini-seas ... escription

I was amazed how well it holds and allows for neat installation and swapping tablets or phones instantly.

Awesome...

That tripod mini ball swivel... has a ball mount on both ends?

No. It has the ball mount at the bottom and the 1/4-20 screw at the top. What you do is remove the factory one by unscrewing the retainer ring and pull the ball from the socket. Then you can insert the new ball (ball section only) and use the existing ring.

rmklaw said:
No. It has the ball mount at the bottom and the 1/4-20 screw at the top. What you do is remove the factory one by unscrewing the retainer ring and pull the ball from the socket. Then you can insert the new ball (ball section only) and use the existing ring.

I'm not getting it... I can see the tripod mount on top, with the ball on its top and the 1/4 20 on the other end that screws into the SeaSucker. There is a ball on the original equipment aluminum strut that's secured to the TX... That ball appears to be secured into the bottom of your tripod mount... no? (I'm not usually this dense... honest...) :shock:

Thanks for your help...

-Slinger

What happened in my case is that in addition to the mini ball, I used half of another ball set up as sort of an extension. I got a flex tripod extension ARKON camera handlebar mount CMP205,and took it apart to only use the bottom part of the mount.

rmklaw said:
What happened in my case is that in addition to the mini ball, I used half of another ball set up as sort of an extension. I got a flex tripod extension and took it apart to only use part of the mount.

OKay... so I'm NOT losing it... :(

I'm looking at this rig... (just the "Action Series Locking Arm")

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joby-Action-Cla ... 5d4696a737

it DOES have a mini ball mount at both ends. If I can pry one of them out, I'm in business... Or I can buy two standard mini ball to 1/4-20 mounts and put them together with a 1/4-20 set screw... Is that similar to what you did?

Thanks again for all your help, dude... You're saving me a bunch of time and a few bucks here...

-slinger

Check the ARKON camera handlebar mount CMP205 which is a lot cheaper (about $17.00 or less) and add the Grifiti mini ball for $10.00, and you are all set.

gunslinger said:
t.rexxer said:
gunslinger said:

I haven't done that yet, but I'm currently shopping around for ideas. I like Wildcatter's solution, because it's pretty elegant. Just one more piece of hardware to cram into the flight box. There are other, maybe more attractive solutions, but I don't think any of them will fit in my case... I'll keep you updated on my findings in this thread...

Also... If you have any problems at all with getting the ap running, please feel free to let me know and I'll walk you through it. And... Thanks again WC. This thing is pretty cool !!! :D :D :D

Thanks for the input and the offer Slinger. Much appreciated. I was flatout yesterday helping my daughter move into their new house. So when i got up this morning, found my Nexus on the kitchen table. It is charging now. Will touch base with you if I need an assist. :)

gunslinger said:

Hey Slinger. This comment was a BIG help getting the DJI app to load and install into my new Nexus 7 1st edition. The "APK" term helped the most. Thanks a bunch. Updating firmware over the holiday. Maybe a quick flight on Christmas day if it's not too cold. Haven't heard much more about cold weather flying crashes though.. still a bit nervous about that. Happy Holidays!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj