Nexus 7 vs Nvidia Shield K1

I had the old shield tablet that was recalled, I sent the old one back and got a brand new one. There is no difference in processing power etc. it's the same device!
Oh, I didn't get the 'recall edition'. Thanks lol

No real prob's, other than paranoia. I read that there's big magnets in the back of the K1 so you can stick it on the fridge. I thought that'd be "hard on" the compass system, as well as putting the K1 in my transport box next to the P3.
I thought that taking those magnets out (without damaging the K1) would be a GoodThing.

have one also no issues what so ever wouldn't worry about magnets

I bought the shield, love it. I have found that you need to turn off the auto brightness and just crank it up all the way when outside.
It is ok in sun, better with a sun shield. but turn off the auto brightness!

Shield is awesome. Screen could be brighter but it is awesome. Don't forget the built in screen recorder that runs seamlessly while you fly.... Shield is by far best bang for the buck..

Sent from my IPad Air2

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Agreed. The Shield has worked flawless for me. I bought mine from a member here a while ago just for use with bird. I was using the iPad when I first got started. I thought it was too big. The Shield is a perfect size and does so much more. I would go with the Shield.

How ist the max. brightness of the shield?? Brighter than the Samsungs, ok but brighter than the apples, too ??

tia
daniel

How ist the max. brightness of the shield?? Brighter than the Samsungs, ok but brighter than the apples, too ??

tia
daniel
Dont have the Samsung, but I did have to turn off the auto brightness, I feel it works well. Seems to be brighter with manual control. I do have a hood also.

I have sort of narrowed my choice of a tablet for a P3 Advanced to the Nexus 7 II or the Nvidia Shield K1. I think 16 GB storage will be enough for use with the P3? The Shield is a new design, but I wonder about the 8 inch screen. Will it be too big? The Nexus 7 is an older design but still seems to get great reviews.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Jim

Shield.

Storage is plenty. You won't be using much storage for normal Phantom use.
No, not too big.
Nexus 7 is nice. Shield is better.

I notice that the Shield has a micro USB 2.0 port. Does the P3A come with a USB cable for the connection or do I need to buy one? Is the USB port on the P3A standard or micro?

Thanks, Jim

I am using the cable that came with both my P3A and P3P.

tia
daniel

The shield doesn't have quite as bright of a screen as the Nexus. Without a sunshade, its going to be hard to see clearly. Same could be said for the Nexus but this is about the only circumstance that the Nexus wins. With a sunshade, I have had no issues seeing the Shield.

I designed and made my own 3D printed bracket and sunshade for the nVidia.
nVidia Shield K1 Sun Shade DIY

Just a note in case you missed the fact that the nVidia shield does NOT come with a charger. If you have a spare 2.1a or better one laying around you are good to go, otherwise, pick one up at walmart or wherever.

Also, the nVidia may be the lightest weight Android install I have seen. It comes with extremely sparse bloatware, all of which can be removed or disabled. nVidia isn't like most other distros of Android. They chose wisely not to bury their tablet in a bunch of crap software you have to root your device to remove.

The nVidia also has a built in screen recorder and can stream the screen to its HDMI port. Should you ever want to throw it up on a bigger monitor. AFAIK, the Nexus does not have that ability.

Reactions: danielvo
Sounds good. And they are fast with updates... I heard the compass issue was fixed with the last update.

One thing I like is that they should play 4k videos smoothly....is it right?
Great for working on location.

I have never updated mine. Still running Android 5.x. The lightbridge video is not 4k anyway so thats a non-factor.

Reactions: flpholt
When I buy a Shield today, its already on 6.x....

Lightbridge Videos of course only in 720, but the tab would be very nice to show the vids from the sd card in the copter. That is nice on holidays or on location. Have you ever tried it?

Never tried it. I usually have my HP Spectre laptop (15") along to see video on. I can't imagine the nVidia having issues with 4k video, but I have never personally tried it.

it plays them good

Reactions: danielvo
I don't understand how no one is having problems with the K1. I had it for a week and could not get rid of the pink green lines going across the screen. I tried everything. It was just for my craft, no other apps except the GO app. I had the wifi off and air plane mode on. It glitched especially when I took pictures or switched it from jpeg to video.
I thought it was something wrong with it so I pulled out the note 4 and same glitches. When I pull out the ipad mini 2 I did not have 1 problem. I tested all 3 back to back.
After reading all the positive post here I'm bummed I returned it. It is a nice table . Glad everyone is having better luck than I did.

I don't understand how no one is having problems with the K1. I had it for a week and could not get rid of the pink green lines going across the screen. I tried everything. It was just for my craft, no other apps except the GO app. I had the wifi off and air plane mode on. It glitched especially when I took pictures or switched it from jpeg to video.
I thought it was something wrong with it so I pulled out the note 4 and same glitches. When I pull out the ipad mini 2 I did not have 1 problem. I tested all 3 back to back.
After reading all the positive post here I'm bummed I returned it. It is a nice table . Glad everyone is having better luck than I did.

Maybe you got a bad one. Mine has been great.

Been loving my Shield since day one. I'm now on 6.01 and never had an issue. No compass problems so I've never felt the need to remove the magnets. I bought an IQ Shield matte screen protector and have tried a couple of different sun shades, even made my own. For the price, I didn't feel like I could find anything better and I've never felt dissatisfied or disappointed at all.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl