Newbie with broken /detached camera

Reaction score
Hi guys could I ask some first time advice? After a hard landing my ribbon is snapped and the camera is detached. I'm fairly confident on replacing the ribbon but haven't got a clue how to reconnect the camera? The main arm has a pin which inserts into the detached bit but I'm not sure how it is secured in place. Could anyone give some advice?
d96762a0cf60a2ef1ac24222fe7a2f22.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This may help:

Good luck!

Note: if I can offer a bit of advice?
Start your ribbon at your camera first, then work your way to the top ( mainboard ), also, no need to completely disassemble gimbal to access locking ribbon clips, just gently pull old ribbon out ( without unclipping it ) then you can PRESS, new ribbon back in with little force, ( again without unclipping it ) HUGE time saver, ( make sure white strip on ribbon is PARALLEL with connector, and FULLY inserted ) and I've had 100% satisfaction doing this that way, I've repaired SEVERAL gimbals, all have gone well with no issues! Might save you time and headache!

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: Mark The Droner
This may make it a bit clearer about what I'm trying to figure out.

It just sits there being sucked on by the magnets, but doesn't clip into place or anything. I'm unable to find any how 2's online and DJI want £172 to repair.

Last edited:
That side factory PRESSES IN,
to fix you'll need to EPOXY it together, BUT, you MUST keep the shaft in correct orientation, in other words, when camera is level, the flat side ( opposite end of seperation, where it goes through roll board MUST BE RIGHT ) as in video above , if it is off just a bit, your camera will not level out. You have to be EXACT with it, bonus is epoxy takes a while to fully dry, so epoxy it, tiny dab will do, then reattach assemble, straighten the shaft like in video, then use something to hold gimbal steady while it fully dries. ( leave cover plate off, so you can see if shaft is straight, and level. ) once dry, and satisfied it is straight and level, replace cover plate, and give her a go.

J Dot

Do you mean epoxy glue the rod to the camera housing with the hole in it? I thought the bit thats come off spins on the pin, am I mistaken? Is it the rod that spins with the camera bit stuck to it?

Rod spins with camera attached to it, it turns the potentiometer in the roll board, it is a steel pin, pressed into an aluminum housing. Remember these are BRUSHLESS motors.

The exposed end of your pin, should not move in the hole on the housing, the aluminum just gave in the crash, as the steel pin is MUCH stronger.and just pulled out. But it is not supposed to do that, lol. If you examine you PITCH POINT, THE NEXT JOINT THAT DID NOT SEPERATE, the one your actual camera is connected to, you'll see what I mean. You can see pin move with outer aluminum housing bell, as you move camera up, and down. May help clarify, if you can see it with your own eyes.

Just be careful as not to get ANY epoxy on or in the bearing on the shaft.

J Dot

Reactions: Artemis1
Question for you J Dot- Are you saying the locking clips on the ribbon cable do not have to be lifted in order to remove/replace the ribbon?
I thought that is what the clip is for- to prevent the ribbon from coming out unless released.
Thanks!
John

yes,
You can press cable into connector without unclipping it. I used to disassemble the gimbals to install, but a good friend, and phantom repair guy, taught me that trick, now that is the only way to go. Please do what you want, if you are not comfortable doing it that way, then by all means, disassemble and unclip them, but I've done around 12 now with no issues, including my own crafts. Just a time saving trick, that works.
( note: do NOT try this on main board connector or camera connector, only pitch and roll connections. ) pitch is not bad to do normally, but roll is a complete you know what, this is where the trick is worth it's weight in gold.:)

Hope this helps.
J Dot

Reactions: jwax
Question for you J Dot- Are you saying the locking clips on the ribbon cable do not have to be lifted in order to remove/replace the ribbon?
I thought that is what the clip is for- to prevent the ribbon from coming out unless released.
Thanks!
John
If you need to unclip to remove the ribbon cables on the motors, then use a paper clip and bend the end into a tiny L/J hook. Use the same paper clip to install and press down.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik