Newbie to the site, could use a little advice on my new P4 package options

Never mind that last question, I just ordered the basics straight from DJI.
Now time to find the right filters, and case for it.
Thanks to everyone's help, nothing against drone world, but I feel a lot better buying a basic P4 start up kit, then spending $3k with them..

Reactions: RC Madman and auen1
Well done Jason. You will enjoy it. As far a ND filters, I suggest that you first study here and/or on YouTube to fully understand what they are for - if you are not sure - and then there are lots of reviews here. I could save you some time on reviews though and suggest looking at Polar Pro. They are a well made option and the customer service is second to none.

Ok great, those were the ones I was looking at.
I just don't know which shades to get?
I live on a lake, and spend a lot of time at our ranch.
So what shades would you go with for those two spots, since majority of my flying will be on those two spots..

lol all I have to do is read!!
I went with the ND32 for flying around lakes, and cinema vivid collection, for the dusk/dawn/overcast to sunny. Now time for the last thing I think, the case, and I should be set!!
Back to reading lol

The case that I purchased - about one month after getting my copter - is the Case Club Compact. It is big enough for my needs, a good value for the price, and waterproof. Here is a link to a prior post where I show a modification that I made to it in order to accommodate my remote with the extended range antenna that I installed on it: Modified Case Club Compact for ITE-DBS02.2 Antenna mod

Regarding cases, there are really three basic types: Hard shell cases, backpack style, and hybrid, hard shell backpacks. If you plan to hike to remote locations for flying, then a backpack style may be what you want, but if you have a quad or something for getting around the ranch, then a hard case bungee corded to the rack would probably be a bit more secure.

Regarding a range extended for your remote, you should probably not worry about this for now. A post above recommended a pair of wind surfer style extenders which simply slip over your existing antennas and serve to direct the antenna's output in a more linear fashion toward the copter as you fly it. This directs the majority of its signal toward the copter and gives a bit more range. Only worry about this though, if you find after flying it around the ranch, that you are losing signal due to desired distances. And, don't worry if you do, as it will just enter 'Return to Home' mode and come back on its own, assuming you have this setting selected.

One final point, and this is VERY IMPORTANT. Between now and when your new P4 gets delivered to you, download and read the ENTIRE DJI manual for your new P4. It can be found here: DJI Phantom 4 – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads You should also watch YouTube vids on initial setup and flying tip as well as photography and video tips. Bottom line, as much as these are often referred to as 'toys', they are only a fun toy if you FULLY understand everything about their settings, limitations, and programmed behaviors, and they can quickly become a horrible nightmare if you are unable to respond correctly and quickly to a sudden, unwanted situation or worst case, an emergency...:eek:...

So, OK, that said, you are about to have a blast with this thing Jason!

The case that I purchased - about one month after getting my copter - is the Case Club Compact. It is big enough for my needs, a good value for the price, and waterproof. Here is a link to a prior post where I show a modification that I made to it in order to accommodate my remote with the extended range antenna that I installed on it: Modified Case Club Compact for ITE-DBS02.2 Antenna mod

Regarding cases, there are really three basic types: Hard shell cases, backpack style, and hybrid, hard shell backpacks. If you plan to hike to remote locations for flying, then a backpack style may be what you want, but if you have a quad or something for getting around the ranch, then a hard case bungee corded to the rack would probably be a bit more secure.

Regarding a range extended for your remote, you should probably not worry about this for now. A post above recommended a pair of wind surfer style extenders which simply slip over your existing antennas and serve to direct the antenna's output in a more linear fashion toward the copter as you fly it. This directs the majority of its signal toward the copter and gives a bit more range. Only worry about this though, if you find after flying it around the ranch, that you are losing signal due to desired distances. And, don't worry if you do, as it will just enter 'Return to Home' mode and come back on its own, assuming you have this setting selected.

One final point, and this is VERY IMPORTANT. Between now and when your new P4 gets delivered to you, download and read the ENTIRE DJI manual for your new P4. It can be found here: DJI Phantom 4 – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads You should also watch YouTube vids on initial setup and flying tip as well as photography and video tips. Bottom line, as much as these are often referred to as 'toys', they are only a fun toy if you FULLY understand everything about their settings, limitations, and programmed behaviors, and they can quickly become a horrible nightmare if you are unable to respond correctly and quickly to a sudden, unwanted situation or worst case, an emergency...:eek:...

So, OK, that said, you are about to have a blast with this thing Jason!

Thanks again Brock, I can't believe polar, and DJI has already shipped out, my P4, and filters, and should have it here Monday!!
Since it gets dusty, and muddy at the ranch, I wanted to go with more of a hard sealed suit case, with the extended handle to pull it on wheels, and since I forgot to get this, i ordered both off a online shop, that had the suit case I wanted.
Hopefully they'll be just as quick!!!
At least I'll have a full weekend to go over the YouTube videos, and the phantom app.
Then a full week of setting everything up.
Btw how far apart, does my brother, and I need to be, when we fly together, SAFELY..

Attachments

• IMG_3902.PNG
    IMG_3902.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 275
Yeah, I had really good luck with my DJI order, smooth and fast as well. Glad you found a good case. It will make a big difference in lugging it around. I would guess that you will have the copter and remote all updated firmware-wise within a couple of hours or so after opening it up - if you place a battery in the charger right away - and very likely flying it right after if weather permits. Don't worry about the ND filters right away. Just do some local zipping around in a large field area and learn how fast it turns and stops and whatnot in the different modes. We have a Phantom 3 Pro and a Phantom 4 in my family, and we fly up close and personal, taking pictures of each other while aloft. You and your bro can do the same. We are all looking forward to some nice pictures and videos of the ranch too, so let us know when your YouTube channel is up and running!

Yeah, I had really good luck with my DJI order, smooth and fast as well. Glad you found a good case. It will make a big difference in lugging it around. I would guess that you will have the copter and remote all updated firmware-wise within a couple of hours or so after opening it up - if you place a battery in the charger right away - and very likely flying it right after if weather permits. Don't worry about the ND filters right away. Just do some local zipping around in a large field area and learn how fast it turns and stops and whatnot in the different modes. We have a Phantom 3 Pro and a Phantom 4 in my family, and we fly up close and personal, taking pictures of each other while aloft. You and your bro can do the same. We are all looking forward to some nice pictures and videos of the ranch too, so let us know when your YouTube channel is up and running!

Everything came in smoothly as advertised with DJI, ordered it, and the polar pro filters on the 27th, received my filters on Saturday the 29th, and received my DJI P4 at 11am/ the 31st!!
Wow first class all the way to placing the order, to getting a well packaged box, with all the goodies!
I Do have a couple questions, on my triple battery hub, does it only charge 1 battery at a time?
As you can see only 1 battery is charging.
Also how can I check to see, if this unit needs any updates, or firmware updates?
I would have figured ordering it direct, they would have the P4 all updated from when I ordered it.
Anyways, awesome experience with dealing with DJI, and Polar Pro, both 1st class all the way, and I'm glad I listen to you guys!!
THANK ALL OF YALL!!
Now only if this other online shop, could be as quick.. lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 215
lol nevermind on the battery, I realized that switch that says charging/storage is for multiple battery charging!! Wow battery 1 was at 1 light, and about 20 minutes, it's charged!!
I'll definitely will need to get a shorter cord, that connects the RC to the iPad/iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 229
Oops wrong again, I understand what the storage switch does..
So you can only charge 1 battery at a time then?
I'm assuming they have that storage mode, to prevent you from ruining your batteries, by over charging them..
I also figured out the firmware update check as well..
So After that, is there anything else I need to do before I do my last flight check?

The hub will charge 1 battery at a time, and with three in it, it will start with the most charged and then the next most and then the last. The storage mode is to slowly trickle down the batteries to 50% charge if stored for longer than 5 days or so. These batteries don't like to be stored at full charge for very long.

The hub will charge 1 battery at a time, and with three in it, it will start with the most charged and then the next most and then the last. The storage mode is to slowly trickle down the batteries to 50% charge if stored for longer than 5 days or so. These batteries don't like to be stored at full charge for very long.

Had a blast, even with the training wheels still on lol!!
How do i turn on the audio, like if I'm trying to narrate a video?
All 3 of my videos, had some great clips, and I was talking up a storm lol!!
Went through 2 batteries worth of video, and it was silent. Or can you do that?

Oh ok, makes sense now asking. Well by the 3rd battery, I took the training wheels off, and got about a mile out over the lake at 300ft. Altitude.
Like I said it was pretty windy, and it's actually tougher just flying over the house, but I turned my putting green into my quadpad lol!!
Can't believe I ran through that 16gbs SIM card they give u in less then 3 batteries lol!!
I need to get a bit better with the jerkiness!!
Cause after my dad saw one of your vids, he was asking why mine ain't as smooth? lol
I said pops, it's the operator!!
And me only having about 45 minutes of total flight time under my belt lmao!!

I can tell already you're hooked. Another happy Phantom owner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20