Newbie questions

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm not really so much of a newbie anymore but I'm having a very hard time finding answers to a bunch of questions.

1: when taking photos I'm seeing a lot of blurr/distortion in the corners. Is this normal or is there a setting in camera or fix in photoshop cc?

2: when shooting video I get a bunch of what I can only describe as rolling lines in the video. I'm a pro photographer not videographer so I'm clueless on this. Any suggestions please?

3: naza-m mode... what's the big deal? Keep the switches up and it's normal flying right? What are the advantages/disadvantages of it?

4: I have been trying to get smoother while shooting video. I'll be dammed if I can shoot more than a few seconds without making to big a correction or the wind blowing it. Is it just tons of practice, no wind and super small corrections on the controls that give the super smooth videos I'm seeing on here so much?

I'd really appreciate your help with these questions. I know they might be simple to you or maybe even stupid, but this is my 1st RC vehicle and I'm trying to learn a lot at once here. Thanks guys...

Dave

dkyacht said:
Hi guys, I'm not really so much of a newbie anymore but I'm having a very hard time finding answers to a bunch of questions.

1: when taking photos I'm seeing a lot of blurr/distortion in the corners. Is this normal or is there a setting in camera or fix in photoshop cc?

2: when shooting video I get a bunch of what I can only describe as rolling lines in the video. I'm a pro photographer not videographer so I'm clueless on this. Any suggestions please?

3: naza-m mode... what's the big deal? Keep the switches up and it's normal flying right? What are the advantages/disadvantages of it?

4: I have been trying to get smoother while shooting video. I'll be dammed if I can shoot more than a few seconds without making to big a correction or the wind blowing it. Is it just tons of practice, no wind and super small corrections on the controls that give the super smooth videos I'm seeing on here so much?

I'd really appreciate your help with these questions. I know they might be simple to you or maybe even stupid, but this is my 1st RC vehicle and I'm trying to learn a lot at once here. Thanks guys...

Dave

It's a Phantom 2 with a H3-2/3D Gimbal that is making the difference. You still have to warp stabilize the footage most of the time, but that is how you get those literal money shots.
For your first question: yes. Totally normal, as you will find with DJI products.
Second question, sounds like you're speaking of "jello". You'll just have to slow your footage down and stabilize it in order to fix that.
The benefits of NAZA mode vary, but you'll have to fly yourself for quite a bit before you can really figure why it's worth it. Until then, just don't.

1. The camera isn't super good, you kind of have to deal with it

2. That's called Jello, caused by vibrations. You can try the other dampners that came with your kit, also try the other props, you might have one that isn't balanced well.

3. Gives you Home Lock and Course Lock features...I find them useful

4. Practice, when I need a really smooth move, I push my thumb into the base of the stick as the sticks aren't real smooth to use

nintendrone64 said:
dkyacht said:

Dave

It's a Phantom 2 with a H3-2/3D Gimbal that is making the difference. You still have to warp stabilize the footage most of the time, but that is how you get those literal money shots.
For your first question: yes. Totally normal, as you will find with DJI products.
Second question, sounds like you're speaking of "jello". You'll just have to slow your footage down and stabilize it in order to fix that.
The benefits of NAZA mode vary, but you'll have to fly yourself for quite a bit before you can really figure why it's worth it. Until then, just don't.

Nintendrone, the gimbal you mentioned is that a upgrade to the 1 that comes on the P2V+?

Dave

dkyacht said:

Dave

1. Don't know.
2. If the "rolling lines" occur when flying towards the sun, it's prop shadow. Put the sun at your back and see if it's still there.
3. Naza-m mode gives you the ability to control your quad minus the GPS. Most of us want this to stop the possibility of a fly away, caused by GPS/compass getting confused. (Generally only select atti if things go haywire, otherwise fly in GPS mode.)
4. On a still day, your video (while hovering) should actually look like a still photo, it's that stable. On a breezy day, you should still be able to get smooth footage. I can fly with gentle stick movements in a breeze and get good video. Maybe it's just too windy. Pick a still day, and see if you're still having the same problem.

Nintendrone didn't realise you have a P2 V+. He's referring to a P2 with a diff gimbal.

Doono said:
dkyacht said:

Dave

1. Don't know.
2. If the "rolling lines" occur when flying towards the sun, it's prop shadow. Put the sun at your back and see if it's still there.
3. Naza-m mode gives you the ability to control your quad minus the GPS. Most of us want this to stop the possibility of a fly away, caused by GPS/compass getting confused. (Generally only select atti if things go haywire, otherwise fly in GPS mode.)
4. On a still day, your video (while hovering) should actually look like a still photo, it's that stable. On a breezy day, you should still be able to get smooth footage. I can fly with gentle stick movements in a breeze and get good video. Maybe it's just too windy. Pick a still day, and see if you're still having the same problem.

Nintendrone didn't realise you have a P2 V+. He's referring to a P2 with a diff gimbal.

Doono, it's prop shadows!!?? Lol ok yes I was shooting into the sun a little bit. Wow I will try that. I will also try it on a calmer day. I have a feeling it's just me being "big handed" with it. I can fly it great, very precise. But I think I really need to try making smoother adjustments. 1 more question, in the app on the camera settings what's the anti-flicker setting? Do u guys just leave that on auto? Also what's your preferred video resolution setting?

Thanks to everyone for the feed back I really appreciate it!

Dave

Prop shadows combined with shutter speed. Install an ND filter in front of your lens, that will slow down the shutter and diminish/remove the flickering.

dkyacht said:

Dave
1. There have been reports of defects in the camera, particularly in the corners. You may have one of these cameras. If so, you should return it. Look at other P2V+ videos in the Video Forum and see if they look like your videos. Make sure you're comparing other P2V+ videos. Yours should look comparable. Post a video to that forum and ask other P2V+ owners to comment. You only have 10 days to return for a refund if defective.

2. The rolling lines may be prop shadows. Try filming moving toward the sun and also backing into the sun so the lens is shadowed. If the first one has the problem and the second one doesn't, the problem is likely the props shadow crossing the camera lens.

3. NAZA - stay away until you get more experience. Read the manual.

4. Your videos should be very smooth without much effort. If they aren't, you may have a defective gimbal. See comments in 1 above and try something similar.

RedRyderMedia said:
dkyacht said:

Dave
1. There have been reports of defects in the camera, particularly in the corners. You may have one of these cameras. If so, you should return it. Look at other P2V+ videos in the Video Forum and see if they look like your videos. Make sure you're comparing other P2V+ videos. Yours should look comparable. Post a video to that forum and ask other P2V+ owners to comment. You only have 10 days to return for a refund if defective.

2. The rolling lines may be prop shadows. Try filming moving toward the sun and also backing into the sun so the lens is shadowed. If the first one has the problem and the second one doesn't, the problem is likely the props shadow crossing the camera lens.

4. Your videos should be very smooth without much effort. If they aren't, you may have a defective gimbal. See comments in 1 above and try something similar.

Redrydermedia I'm past the 10 days. But where did you see the thing about the defective camera? Does what I described sound like what you heard about the defect?

Like I said I am a professional photographer so I'm comparing it to my Canon slr which I definitely understand it's not going to be close to the same. I just didn't expect so much distortion in the corners.

Dave

Sorry I didn't see it. :oops:

dkyacht said:
RedRyderMedia said:
dkyacht said:

Dave

Redrydermedia I'm past the 10 days. But where did you see the thing about the defective camera? Does what I described sound like what you heard about the defect?

Like I said I am a professional photographer so I'm comparing it to my Canon slr which I definitely understand it's not going to be close to the same. I just didn't expect so much distortion in the corners.

Dave
Dave, I've read several posts concerning blurry sections on images. Do a site specific search in Google by entering 'site:phantompilots.com' followed by 'camera defect' in the google search field. You will find a variety of camera focus issues. I believe the Vision, Vision plus, and I think the Fc40(?) all use the same basic camera.
This is not the greatest camera in the world. I recommend looking at other P2V+ videos and images to compare your results to others. If what you're seeing in your images is different than what you see in other pilot's videos and stills you should contact DJI. You can also post examples of your images for others to look at. One of the problems is this site doesn't allow larger files to be posted, so you're limited in the size image you can post.
I've only taken a few still images with my P2V+, but I'm NOT seeing anything different in the corners of my images than I see in the rest of the image. But remember, with the fisheye lens you will get more distortion in the corners.

Dave,I took a couple of stills last weekend in the L format. I can email them to you to see what the corners look like. They should be worst case because they should basically be the entire sensor.

dkyacht said:
nintendrone64 said:
dkyacht said:

Dave

Nintendrone, the gimbal you mentioned is that a upgrade to the 1 that comes on the P2V+?

Dave

Unfortunately, if you haven't already googled it, it is not. It cannot be used on a Phantom Vision or Plus ):
However, there are some third party gimbals that work for Visions and I'm sure some have good reviews.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik