Newbie Flying Indoors

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm a little nervous about this step and haven't committed to anything.

I received a P4 for Christmas and I've had it out once. A total of 3 take offs and landings just to get comfortable.

There is this project at work that would be great to use my drone for. I'm in a pretty large warehouse but also close to Rickenbacker.

How comfortable would you be flying a drone inside a warehouse? Where I would be flying would be pretty open space but there are still support columns that would have to be dodged along with never hitting the ceiling. If I hit the sprinkler system and it goes off, I, along with my drone are done!

I told them it would be based on my comfort level whether or not this is a go. I'm now regretting telling everyone at work that I got a drone for Christmas.

What are your thoughts? How easy has it been for you and what are your tips for doing this? It's been too cold in Ohio to get much flight time so was hoping you'd provide some thoughts.

I wouldn't try it until you're VERY familiar with the aircraft, the software, and the What Ifs. Your job just isn't worth the risk.

If you do it, remember your RTH and loss signal settings will need to be adjusted accordingly. Also since it's inside you may or may NOT have reliable GPS signal so it may be all "ATTI MODE" flying so be comfortable in that respect too.

So you take all of the liability and the possible loss of your Christmas drone for what gain? Are they going to pay you extra for the shots that you produce? I'm guessing not. As @BigAl07 mentioned, you are very unlikely to have GPS coverage inside the warehouse and that can cause erratic flying behavior and a loss of the stable flying functionality that you've only just started to experience. Don't risk it unless they're willing to pay you enough to make it worth your potential loss. Otherwise, get a tall pole and a camera and you've got the same thing.

Reactions: BigAl07
I strongly agree with BigAl07 not to try it until you have experience in flying and configuring your craft.

Reactions: BigAl07
My advice would be to take it outside first and "simulate" your warehouse run in atti mode. I have done this a few times through bridges and so forth, but you need to get very acquainted with flying without GPS.

I don't think I have the time to test it out. I think I'm telling them I'm out. Don't want to break my new drone or worse.

Thanks!
Good decision.

You will be surprised what you can do comfortably with a little stick time. While the phantoms are ridiculously easy to fly (in comparison to other RC AC) the same rule applies- take it easy and allow plenty of time to gradually build your skills. Avoid the temptation to try and impress or accomplish feats prescribed by others at all costs.

If you don’t have any earlier stock time the proposed indoor flight will likely end in tears.

Flying with GPS and flying in atti are two different animals. You need to acquire some muscle memory on the sticks first in GPS mode then in atti. Your eye hand coordination will be tested. Good decision not to attempt that job.

Try never to be lured or pressured in attempting some type of flight with your craft that you are not comfortable with, when in doubt pick NO. In short time you will get accustomed to your bird and will understand and know the crafts and your own limits. Moving the sticks will become a reflex as you put in the hours and there will be no more calculating left or right when your coming or going, just that's where I'm going and you will fly your craft there.

Alright, so I'm a little nervous about this step and haven't committed to anything.

I received a P4 for Christmas and I've had it out once. A total of 3 take offs and landings just to get comfortable.

There is this project at work that would be great to use my drone for. I'm in a pretty large warehouse but also close to Rickenbacker.

How comfortable would you be flying a drone inside a warehouse? Where I would be flying would be pretty open space but there are still support columns that would have to be dodged along with never hitting the ceiling. If I hit the sprinkler system and it goes off, I, along with my drone are done!

I told them it would be based on my comfort level whether or not this is a go. I'm now regretting telling everyone at work that I got a drone for Christmas.

What are your thoughts? How easy has it been for you and what are your tips for doing this? It's been too cold in Ohio to get much flight time so was hoping you'd provide some thoughts.
Nope. I wouldn't do it under those circumstances... You need to learn to fly the bird before you try flying it indoors with an audience asking stupid questions you likely can't answer anyway. Not a recipe for success IMO..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic