New Warning I havent seen till today

Reaction score
Was out flying the P3P today and got a warning that propulsion was limited to conserve battery health I was at 50% battery when I got the warning and it kept popping up all the way back to the landing spot at 30% battery. Is this something new or something to be concerned about??

Possibly. You would need to look at the individual battery cells from the log files. Just taking a guess that it could be a battery cell going bad. Battery percentage is only a calculated estimate. It's the individual cell deviation that could make a difference.

If your battery is not at the optimum operating temperature you may see this warning. Were you flying in cold weather?

Reactions: Jim Canada
I had a similar situation I must agree after looking at the flight log the cells were dropping below 3.500 volts, only factor I could contribute was the temperature about 40F near the ground but breezy above the above the tree line. The flight log reveled the cell voltage fluctuations and the warning about limited propulsion

Reactions: chris-
Yeah, I have seen it, cold weather and windy. When I started using Litchi I was concerned about having a mission at full speed, and what would happen while in a mission, I think it actually has happened.

While on a mission with no signal it skipped the last few way points and headed home. @sar104 looked at my .dat file from the Phantom, he really couldn't tell what was the trigger, just that were many battery errors. I think these errors made the Phantom cancel the mission. I always have Smart RTH off for missions.

"At around WP16 the mission failed - not clear why. These are the log entries:"

"483.858 : 34792 [WP]req wp mission fail, no in air."
"483.878 : 34793 CTRL reset all by APP.mission.no.ready.mission"
"483.898 : 34794 [Ctrl<8>] REQ_RC_LOST NAVI_GO_HOME ctrl_navi_go_home"

"As a result it initiated RTH."
"Attached is the full log file. It also includes a number of battery warnings."

I found the log file..
FLY558.log.txt

Rod

Attachments

• FLY558.log.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 461
Thanx for the replies, I think I've tracked it down to cold and Wind I don't usually fly if the wind is more then 5mph yesterday it was forecast to be right at 5 so I went to fly over the Harbor it was cold but not colder then I've flown in the past. once I got in the air I ran down a ship in the harbor at 50% I started back was out 9k and could feel gusts coming off the water I didn't feel at launch. I did notice my AC has a tilt to it on the way back in I figured that was due to the wind. Battery used is new with only 8 cycles all cells showed balanced in the app which is the best we can check with these DJI batteries. Id really like to see future offerings have a proper balance and charging leads so batteries can be charged on a real charger.

This message appears when the battery is starting to run low and you are trying to fly at full speed.

This message appears when the battery is starting to run low and you are trying to fly at full speed.
I was at 50% battery when it started, I'm more inclined to think it was due to flying in a stout crosswind and cold temps

I just took my phantom out for a flight .when i took off the reduced propulsion message came up battery was at room temp. Flew about 1500 feet out then the dji app tried to do a critical battery landing. Brought it back to home point. Tried a new battery same exact thing happened. Reduced propulsion than after 1500 feet critical landing . Brought it back home landed. Loaded litchi no problems after that .Ran that battery down to 18%. Any idea what is going on. Seems like the dji app.

I just took my phantom out for a flight .when i took off the reduced propulsion message came up battery was at room temp. Flew about 1500 feet out then the dji app tried to do a critical battery landing. Brought it back to home point. Tried a new battery same exact thing happened. Reduced propulsion than after 1500 feet critical landing . Brought it back home landed. Loaded litchi no problems after that .Ran that battery down to 18%. Any idea what is going on. Seems like the dji app.
Seems like something in the app to me as well. I would try dumping and reloading the app it may have gotten corrupted somehow. when I got the message on my screen I was still out 5K feet speed dropped down to 21mph and wouldn't go any faster. I was at 390 ft up so I brought the AC down as I was coming back I got the message every 60 seconds or so until I landed the bird back where it took off from. My nephew has also had this happen to him on a windy cold day thankfully it allows you to maintain control and fly back home. for me it would have been a splash down in the Harbor in about 50ft of water had it had a major malfunction due to the warning.

Reactions: RodPad
Was out flying the P3P today and got a warning that propulsion was limited to conserve battery health I was at 50% battery when I got the warning and it kept popping up all the way back to the landing spot at 30% battery. Is this something new or something to be concerned about??

That happened to me about 1:30 into a flight back in late January. Wasn't particular cold (36F), nor windy (8mph) at altititude. I did my usual pre-flight battery warm-up, the battery was fully charged, and I've flown in colder temps without getting any warnings. Post-flight analysis showed one cell reported a minor deviation but no major deviations.

You can research this warning in dozens of threads since it was added a couple of years ago.
Search Results for Query: Propulsion output is limited | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Since it has already been discussed at such great length over the years, here's a summary:

That warning appears when you exceed one or more of the safety parameters that DJI implemented with AC FW 1.6 as a fix for the debacle of AC FW 1.5.

It triggers when the software encounters conditions which would drive battery voltages too low. It then limits output.

It is normally rapid acceleration or ascension with a depleted enough battery that leads to triggering this safety protocol. The Phantom calculates the potential to reach a critical voltage level, so it forces a slow down in propulsion.

As we all know or should know, a cold battery could trigger a low voltage situation earlier than would a warm battery.

We don't know precisely what DJI has set as parameters or how they calculate for potential issues. Any FW from 1.6 onward will include this safety protocol.

Last edited:
You can research this warning in dozens of threads since it was added a couple of years ago.
Search Results for Query: Propulsion output is limited | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Since it has already been discussed at such great length over the years, here's a summary:

That warning appears when you exceed one or more of the safety parameters that DJI implemented with AC FW 1.6 as a fix for the debacle of AC FW 1.5.

It triggers when the software encounters conditions which would drive battery voltages too low. It then limits output.

It is normally rapid acceleration or ascension with a depleted enough battery that leads to triggering this safety protocol. The Phantom calculates the potential to reach a critical voltage level, so it forces a slow down in propulsion.

As we all know or should now, a cold battery could trigger a low voltage situation earlier than would a warm battery.

We don't know precisely what DJI has set as parameters or how they calculate for potential issues. Any FW from 1.6 onward will include this safety protocol.

So since it is firmware, not the app, do you think that my thoughts are correct. #5
Battery error caused Litchi to cancel the flight and head home?

When this happened, of coarse I was afraid to touch anything, it said it was coming home.:)
I just kept switching between the map & FPV.

I was just focused on the distance was decreasing.
When I realized I should be able hear it, maybe not see it yet 150' trees, I turned the camera down, I could see my house, I still couldn't see it.

Finally when I knew I should be able to see or hear it. I looked closer to the numbers.

To avoid Phantom Magnets (Trees) I use 100 meters AGL, well it was way up there.:eek:
So today duh, It stayed at the height of the last way point, not good if your low on battery. :rolleyes:

Yes, I made note on which battery!

Rod

As we all know or should now, a cold battery could trigger a low voltage situation earlier than would a warm battery.

makes sense to me. I know for sure how bad cold weather can affect a Lipo battery. I've been using them pretty much since they hit the market for RC Planes. I've had to climb a lot of trees, gain access to roof tops and paddle canoes across cold water to retrieve said gear lol
much of the Lipo batteries I used back then were small cells 10 - 150 Mah singles these were small scale model planes, home builds. unfortunately here in Maryland winter is the best time with the least amount of wind to fly such tiny things so you do what you have to lol

I just took my phantom out for a flight .when i took off the reduced propulsion message came up battery was at room temp. Flew about 1500 feet out then the dji app tried to do a critical battery landing. Brought it back to home point. Tried a new battery same exact thing happened. Reduced propulsion than after 1500 feet critical landing . Brought it back home landed. Loaded litchi no problems after that .Ran that battery down to 18%. Any idea what is going on.
So if it initiates a critical AC landing how do you cancel that... I thought once AC starts that you cannot stop it?

Yeah, I have seen it, cold weather and windy. When I started using Litchi I was concerned about having a mission at full speed, and what would happen while in a mission, I think it actually has happened.

While on a mission with no signal it skipped the last few way points and headed home. @sar104 looked at my .dat file from the Phantom, he really couldn't tell what was the trigger, just that were many battery errors. I think these errors made the Phantom cancel the mission. I always have Smart RTH off for missions.

"At around WP16 the mission failed - not clear why. These are the log entries:"

"483.858 : 34792 [WP]req wp mission fail, no in air."
"483.878 : 34793 CTRL reset all by APP.mission.no.ready.mission"
"483.898 : 34794 [Ctrl<8>] REQ_RC_LOST NAVI_GO_HOME ctrl_navi_go_home"

"As a result it initiated RTH."
"Attached is the full log file. It also includes a number of battery warnings."

I found the log file..
FLY558.log.txt

Rod
You must still be on an older version of DJI GO or GO 4. In the newer versions, the Smart RTH toggle was removed, unless Litchi has control over that setting, independently, as part of a mission setup. Can Litchi turn off Smart RTH as part of a mission setting?

It's nothing to do with battery level. I've had it occur within 15 seconds of T/O. As others have said, its low temperature and wind strength which combined causes this warning to trigger.
This was DJI's solution to low battery temperature at startup causing any one battery cell to momentarily drop below 3.0V under full power, which triggered a complete battery shutoff, even if the aircraft was in flight! Instead of preventing cold batteries from shutting off in flight, DJI decided to throttle the output from them when it was cold. :rolleyes:

Reactions: JoBe and epicdoom
That happened to me about 1:30 into a flight back in late January. Wasn't particular cold (36F), nor windy (8mph) at altititude. I did my usual pre-flight battery warm-up, the battery was fully charged, and I've flown in colder temps without getting any warnings. Post-flight analysis showed one cell reported a minor deviation but no major deviations.
One minor cell deviation that drops it below 3.0V under load will trigger a full battery shutoff. This most often happens at tempertures under 50° F and on batteries that are in a partial discharge state (where cell balancing is no longer taking place), and have not been topped off before flight (which rebalances all the cells). 36°F is cold for a battery at launch under full power, until it warms up to operating temperature during flight. In your case, it was likely the 36° temperature.

Reactions: JoBe and epicdoom
That could be.
One minor cell deviation that drops it below 3.0V unkder load will trigger a full battery shutoff. This most often happens at tempertures under 50° F and on batteries that are in a partial discharge state (where cell balancing is no longer taking place), and have not been topped off before flight (which rebalances all the cells). 36°F is cold for a battery at launch under full power, until it warms up to operating temperature during flight. In your case, it was likely the 36° temperature.

Ordinarily, I'd say, that might be the case except, there was no shutdown. The message disappeared as quickly as it appeared, and the flight continued on without any other warnings for nearly 15 minutes. I charge/top-off my batteries before each flight, and my batteries are at room temperature (~70°F) before each flight and packed in an insulated case. I let the quad hover for a couple of minutes before taking off each time. I flew using the same battery in 16°F temps a week earlier, and at 28°F a week before that without any warnings, so it's a bit of a mystery. That one flight was the one and only time I've seen that warning with any of my 5 batteries. Still, I'll continue to monitor that battery in case there is a problem with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20